General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling shoes for stupidly narrow feet???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-14 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Subject: Cycling shoes for stupidly narrow feet????

Okay, here's my issue (well one of them anyway)!  I'm a woman with large (US size 10.5) flipper like feet, but they are incredibly narrow.  Using the online charts for foot length versus girth to convert into a number-letter combo, my feet actually don't fit into their charts.  The narrowest possible is a 4A, and my foot girth is 4 mm smaller than that, so I suppose I'm a 5A.

For the last 2 years I've been using the narrowest women's bike shoe I could find in my local tri shop (women's Shimano SPD-SL).  I have two sets of inserts in them and the Velcro straps are as tight as they can go, and yet my feet still slip around in them, especially on hill climbs.  I had a lot of blisters initially, but now I just have a set of hard calluses, but I do occasionally get blisters on my calluses on 30+ miles rides.  Yell  Wearing extra pairs of socks isn't an option as I'm based in Arizona, and it's "hotter than hell" here for large chunks of the year, and especially during race season.  I would really like to do some century rides, but I need to find some proper bike shoes before I can think about this. 

I've become a bit of a triathlete on a budget over the last 2 years, but I'm willing for fork out some hard-earned-savings for a pair of shoes that will fit properly and will last.  My LBS's just don't stock anything that comes close to fitting me, so I think my only option is to buy online.  I've seen some 5 year old posts about Italian brands, e.g., Simi, Vittoria and Diadora, but does anyone out there have any good advise?  In other words, HELP??????!!!!!!! Laughing

2012-09-14 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4412083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cycling shoes for stupidly narrow feet????
Sidi offers several mid priced models in AA width. Keep in mind though that a mid priced sidi eill still run you $250 or so. They're great shoes and worth it IMO.

I can't remember if the tri shoes come in narrow, but the genius road and dominator mtb shoe do. Also you're likely to need men's shoes if you wear a 10.5.
2012-09-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4412083

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cycling shoes for stupidly narrow feet????

Another vote for Sidi. For the first several months I had my road bike, I had to wear running shoes as I couldn't find bike shoes that fit (not sold here; in Singapore they had only mens' shoes that were way too wide, or narrower women's shoes in tiny tiny sizes). I must have tried on every bike shoe in Oregon before finding a pair of Sidi's in a local bike shop. Don't know the model name but they are silver colored with Velcro closures. I have size 9 1/2-10 women's feet depending on brand; very narrow. The shoes fit comfortably with normal bike socks and have held up well in sometimes mucky, wet conditions here and in Oregon. I was concerned they'd be too hot as they seem to be leather (?) and don't have the ventilation that you see in some tri-specific models, but it hasn't been an issue, and almost all my rides are well into the 80's and sometimes 90's, with high humidity.

They were on clearance at the time so the model may be discontinued; not sure if they are women-specific or not. The LBS owner recommended Sidi because they and some of the other European brands run narrower than American ones. I think they were on clearance for $150 but I didn't pay that--it was a year-end sale and I was getting some other bike stuff, so negotiated a deal and got them for somewhat less.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling shoes for stupidly narrow feet???? Rss Feed