General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I do? Bike warranty issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-15 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: What should I do? Bike warranty issue

I bought a 2008 Scott Speedster off Craiglist back in late June/early July.  Checked it over when I got it, nothing seemed wrong, actually was in great shape and had no wear.  After about a month or so of riding I noticed a crack in the head tube.  Could be from me, could have been existing, I don't know.  I brought it to my local Scott dealer (nameless), turns out the head of the bike shop there is a friend of my cousins (who worked at a LBS for years and kind of knows everyone).  Shop guy talked to Scott, sent pictures, model #, etc, Scott admitted they had other failures in this model frame and offered a new frame of the same model, all they needed was my proof of purchase, which obviously I don't have.  The shop guy tried to help me, gave me a chance to "officially" tell Scott why I didn't have a proof, I said I purchased it at a sidewalk/clearance sale (where the bike was actually purchased), and it was 5 years ago so I didn't have any documentation. I know it's a little sleazy, and maybe if I got a year or two of riding out of the bike I wouldn't feel the same, but I feel like I got screwed a bit so I'd love to at least get a discounted new frame.  I'm definitely not going to have my road bike for my first tri next weekend, so I'll be riding my mountain bike.

What do you think my next move should be?  I figure I have a few options.  I go get the Scott bike back, use it strictly as my trainer bike in the basement and go through my cousin who can get me dealer price on any Trek model and use that as my riding bike and switch out whatever components I need to between the two.  Another option is to see if Scott will at least cut me a deal on a new frame, then I rebuild a bike.  There are other options obviously (new Trek frame at cost, sell parts, etc) but what does everyone think?

2012-09-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4412529

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: What should I do? Bike warranty issue
If I lied to get a new frame it would ruin the bike for me forever. Every time I got on it I would feel a twinge of guilt over my dishonesty. I clearly have guilt issues.

The thing I could live with would be to tell Scott the absolute truth, that I bought the bike used, and ask if there was anything they could do to help me out as far as a discounted frame. Who knows? They might appreciate your honesty and comp you a new frame. They also might tell you, tough luck, you are on your own---but that would be a bad business move because it would sour you on Scott forever.......

It sounds like you have good options, but I would, as honestly as possible, explore what Scott can do for you first.

(jumping off my high horse)
2012-09-15 9:51 AM

First of all - you should know better to bring an ethical discussion to the internet.  Do you like being abused?

Contact the craigslist guy and ask if he has his proof of purchase information.  You can possibly work out an arrangement with him. If you make up some fictional tale to Scott about how you purchased the frame, what are you going to do when Scott comes back to say that frame serial number is registered to someone else, or if it comes up on a database of stolen bikes?  You will just look like a liar, or worse.

2012-09-15 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

The ethical part isn't really the question here. However, IMO I paid good money for the bike on CL and the failure in the bike frame is a known issue according to Scott, so if possible I'd like a reimbursement.  It was "suggested" that I not mention it was a second purchase or the warranty would be totally void and they wouldn't be able to cut me any deal which I've heard is true from multiple people from multiple LBS.  If I had the bike for 2-3 years and rode it and thought that I myself did it, then I'd probably feel differently, but that's not the case.  This model has issues, IMO it shouldn't matter who the owner is, the company should take care of their product.  I did contact the seller from CL who was a really nice guy when I went and tested it, he said he didn't know about the crack, apologized and said that he doesn't have the original paperwork as he purchased it as a leftover from the store the following year. (Also, for those concerned with my morals, not that anyone should be but partially to show people I'm not some mooching scumbag, my first step before contacting the LBS was contacting Scott directly in which I sent pictures of the crack and emailed a member of their office and told them it was a 2nd purchase to which he more or less said "tough luck".)

Anyways, I was moreso looking for advice on what to do for the next bike with rebuilding or new bike totally, maybe even advice if having a bike with a cracked tube would be OK on a trainer.  Anyone that can look past the ethics of it, I'd love to get an opinion.

Thank you.

2012-09-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4412580

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
jonD81 - 2012-09-15 11:24 AM

I'd love to get an opinion.

Thank you.

Caveat emptor.

Mark

2012-09-15 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

jonD81 - 2012-09-15 11:24 AM

The ethical part isn't really the question here.

It should be. Like wannabefaster, I can't get past the honesty issue, and I would not even be able to get on the bike. The manufacturers are often willing to give free replacements even if the damage to the product is the user's fault. I could never repay that with fraud. Do what you will, but don't ruin if for the rest of us.

And you do realize that the manufacturers frequent the forums, right?

Edited by newtriguy 2012-09-15 10:56 AM

2012-09-15 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Thank you everyone for your responses and opinions. I'd appreciate it if we just closed the issue. Thanks.
2012-09-15 11:57 AM

User image

Franklin
would that be the same as buying used car from CL out of warranty, and asking for the issue to be covered?
2012-09-15 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Not going to offer an opinion on your decision, but I did want to share a very similar situation.  My first bike (after the "comfort bike" I rode in my first tri) was a 2009 Scott Speedster.  I purchased it locally by answering a Craigslist ad and felt pretty good with the "deal" I got.  Rode it for a year.  Crack in the downtube just above the front fork was discovered by the mechanic doing a fairly major tune up for me.  He went ahead and did the tune up, replaced the bar tape and put on new tires.  The bike looked better than ever and my pocketbook was yet again lighter. Except it was no longer safe to ride on the road.  Went a couple of months renting bikes for events I'd already signed up for.  Tried contacting the original owner and had a bike shop willing to help me get a new Scott frame (personal friend of the Scott rep) if I could produce an original receipt.  Original owner said he would try to locate the orig receipt, but I never heard from him again.  So I finally moved on and bought a NEW bike with warranty.  The Speedster is sitting in the garage, looking really nice and waiting for me to put a trainer tire and maybe a piece of duct tape on the down tube on it when it gets a bit colder here. 
2012-09-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4412932

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
squirt - 2012-09-15 8:09 PM

Not going to offer an opinion on your decision, but I did want to share a very similar situation.  My first bike (after the "comfort bike" I rode in my first tri) was a 2009 Scott Speedster.  I purchased it locally by answering a Craigslist ad and felt pretty good with the "deal" I got.  Rode it for a year.  Crack in the downtube just above the front fork was discovered by the mechanic doing a fairly major tune up for me.  He went ahead and did the tune up, replaced the bar tape and put on new tires.  The bike looked better than ever and my pocketbook was yet again lighter. Except it was no longer safe to ride on the road.  Went a couple of months renting bikes for events I'd already signed up for.  Tried contacting the original owner and had a bike shop willing to help me get a new Scott frame (personal friend of the Scott rep) if I could produce an original receipt.  Original owner said he would try to locate the orig receipt, but I never heard from him again.  So I finally moved on and bought a NEW bike with warranty.  The Speedster is sitting in the garage, looking really nice and waiting for me to put a trainer tire and maybe a piece of duct tape on the down tube on it when it gets a bit colder here. 

Just to let you know there are companies out there that repair carbon fiber bikes with frame damage. I have read many folks first-person accounts of having their bikes repaired and they are better than ever. You would have to ship the frame to them and it isn't cheap, but it is a lot less expensive that a new frame.

http://www.carbonframerepair.com/

http://www.kirkleebicycles.com/carbon-frame-repair/

http://www.calfeedesign.com/repair/

A thread in a forum about carbon bike repair:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=2473125;
2012-09-15 9:36 PM

User image

Pro

...and for the rest of you reading: if you want a warranty, read the warranty before purchasing a new or used bike.

I crashed my Fuji Aloha (model year 2002, second owner). I couldn't find info, so I went to a dealer. Fuji offered me a older year frame for a discounted price - but my bike was 650c wheels, and this one was 700c, so I was looking at swapping the parts, buying wheels, etc... I decided against it.

I purchased a Blue Triad SP direct from the manufacturer. They have a clear crash policy: valid for the original owner of a registered bike, purchased from an authorized dealer.

Some hemlets have crash policies as well.

You might fork over more cash up front, but it can pay off should a mechanical or human failure happen.

2012-09-15 9:50 PM
in reply to: #4412580

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
jonD81 - 2012-09-15 10:24 AM

IMO it shouldn't matter who the owner is, the company should take care of their product.  

I'm pretty sure the warranty specifically states that it's only valid for the original owner.  I can't comment on the safety aspect of it...

2012-09-16 1:35 AM
in reply to: #4413085

Extreme Veteran
Washington
matcrawf - 2012-09-15 9:50 PM
jonD81 - 2012-09-15 10:24 AM

IMO it shouldn't matter who the owner is, the company should take care of their product.  

I'm pretty sure the warranty specifically states that it's only valid for the original owner.  I can't comment on the safety aspect of it...

still, I agree with jon.  If a car manufacturer sold cars that were found to have an increased chance to spontaneously combust after 30k miles, does it matter if the current owner is the original owner or not?

Edited by ionlylooklazy 2012-09-16 1:36 AM
2012-09-16 9:01 AM

Veteran
Canton, GA

Slightly different, yet very related -- I recently purchased a 2008 Honda Civic off Craigslist.  I got a pretty good deal and saved about $3,000 vs. what I would have paid for it had I purchased from a dealership.  Obviously I knew that I was also inheriting increased risk with the savings, but I was willing to take that chance and accepted that as part of the risk/reward calculation.  About one month after buying the car, my wife went on a trip to Florida (about 7-8 hour drive) and took my car.  On the way home from the trip, the car started overheating.  Long story short, we got her home and I brought the car to the shop only to be told the engine block cracked!  I thought I was now going to be out $5,000 for a new engine!  Luckily, Honda had issued a Service Bulletin for the very same issue and extended a warranty for such issues for 8 years/unlimited miles and offered it to original and all subsequent owners.  So, FREE ENGINE for me!  I have always been a fan of Hondas and this experience just further extended my love for the brand.  

As for your dilemma, I'm not here to tell anyone else what they should or should not do.  I see both sides of your situation.  You accepted the risks when you bought a "used" bike.  Was the crack there before you purchased -- who knows.  It is not uncommon for someone to sell something with known issues and then play the "Oh, I didn't know about that" card afterwards -- for which you very well could have be wronged terribly.  Not by the manufacturer, but by the individual, for which you have no recourse.  On the other hand, I agree that the manufacturer should take care of the product if it was a known issue with those frames, but the reality is they don't have to in your case.  What you choose to do with that information is your call.  You are the one that needs to live with whatever decision you make.  

2012-09-16 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
*it was a gift*
2012-09-16 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Again, thank you all for your responses.  I realize that by purchasing through CL I was taking a risk over buying a new bike and that most warranties don't transfer ownership unless purchased above and beyond.  I was letdown when after I first contacted them they said they could do nothing for me (replacement, discount, anything), and even though I know some people's opinion of me is spoiled now, I am actually a very laid back person so I approached the situation as level headed as someone can be as I find 100% of the time people are more helpful when you approach them in a respectable manner instead of screaming.  However, once I further learned that this was an existing issue on that specific model/year frame and I was still unable to get any kind of help, I then tried the work around.  I currently don't have the money to buy another bike, my first tri is coming up in 7 days and I don't have the bike mileage I wanted to have and I'm stressing out. Obviously this doesn't excuse the actions to some, and I accept that, I just wanted to explain myself and the situation.

Thanks,

Jon

2012-09-16 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Jason, just wanted to say thanks re: the info on carbon bike repair.  Had no idea that existed.  My Scott bike is aluminum though.  I've moved on and have a nice Trek Madone now...yes...new with warranty and excellent bike shop support.  I do wonder if there was some sort of mfg problem with the Speedster.  I really didn't put much stress on the bike, and I'm pretty sure the original owner didn't either. 

To the OP, I totally understand your stress level.  I was not ready to buy a new bike either.  Riding rented bikes got me through the events I had signed up for, but bike training was toast.  Biking is not  my best thing anyway, but I found myself unreasonably upset over the whole thing...uncharacteristic of me as well.  Oh, and don't know if this will help, but the bike shop where I rented a bike for my events wound up taking the cost of those rentals off when I bought my new bike.  Also went with a zero interest for a year deal from Trek that helped soften the blow a little, and let me feel OK with pulling the trigger on a new one sooner than planned.  Maybe something like that would help?  

2012-09-16 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4413319

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
jonD81 - 2012-09-16 10:27 AM

Again, thank you all for your responses.  I realize that by purchasing through CL I was taking a risk over buying a new bike and that most warranties don't transfer ownership unless purchased above and beyond.  I was letdown when after I first contacted them they said they could do nothing for me (replacement, discount, anything), and even though I know some people's opinion of me is spoiled now, I am actually a very laid back person so I approached the situation as level headed as someone can be as I find 100% of the time people are more helpful when you approach them in a respectable manner instead of screaming.  However, once I further learned that this was an existing issue on that specific model/year frame and I was still unable to get any kind of help, I then tried the work around.  I currently don't have the money to buy another bike, my first tri is coming up in 7 days and I don't have the bike mileage I wanted to have and I'm stressing out. Obviously this doesn't excuse the actions to some, and I accept that, I just wanted to explain myself and the situation.

Thanks,

Jon

I feel your pain and I was not judging. I was just expressing how I know I would feel. I have in my life done things that were not as honest as they should have been and I have regretted every one of them. I was just trying to save you from making the same mistakes.

Just like I think that you fibbing to Scott would have been wrong, I think that Scott's position on this is wrong. If this is a known issue with this bike it should not matter whether you have the receipt or not. They know this is a problem and they should make it right-just like the Honda story above. If they say tough luck to you, I hope they have trouble sleeping at night, just like I would if I lied about "it".
2012-09-16 10:55 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Scott clearly states that they warranty the bike for the original owner, so when you buy used, yes, you will save money, but that saving comes with a risk. Other manufacturers either allow the warranty to be transferred, or are just very lenient in warranty claims.

Honestly, I don't see much you can do about this situation. Buying used does come with a risk and I assume you paid quite a bit less than list price for it...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I do? Bike warranty issue Rss Feed