General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I just salvage, bandit, or Kip Litton? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-15 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Did I just salvage, bandit, or Kip Litton?
WARNING.NO PARAGRAPHS. iPAD TYPING. Did the Dewey beach sprint today. The swim was a nightmare. The current changed. I was in wave 10 of 14. Many of us were pulled out early, and told we could keep racing. I did this course in 29 minutes last year. I was still in the water at 1:03 today. We were compleely against a strong ocean current with waves. I was nauseous as heck, but once I walked to T1, determined to finish. I got on my bike and flatted in a mile, with no gear to fix, and very very few bikers behind me. I walked my bike back and turned in my chip. No way I was going to get on course 10 minutes after the last biker, maybe 15 depending on fix time. I was pretty well figuring my day was over. I decided to do the run course anyway, since my wife and kids were along the way looking for me. May as well salvage a decent run on a closed course. I didnt't want to cross finish, but there were people I met cheering me on. I stopped and explained my DNF bike. Theysaid " ah go on."I stopped for frat guys to pass me a beer which I finished. Crossed the line, put on more clothes, and went for the beer line. Even relays get to drink beer, so I am not guilty on that front. SO, was I a bandit, a Kip, or totally legit?

2012-09-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4412652

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Did I just salvage, bandit, or Kip Litton?
You paid the entry fee, 'nuff said.   What's a Kip?
2012-09-15 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4412655

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-15 4:06 PM

not sure what you are asking you attempted the race but DNF because you did not do the bike leg. You just raced the best you could for that race given the conditions.
2012-09-15 4:31 PM

Elite
N Carolina
It was a salvage.  You paid the race fee (I assume).  No harm done.
2012-09-15 9:54 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

Explanation of "Kip Litton" for readers like me who didn't have the context (and thanks, Claaaaw, for directing me to this fascinating story): http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer<... Litton cheated.  He certainly didn't have the race director's permission to skip part of the course.  He wore his timing chip across the line.  You fail the analogy on both counts.

Bandits don't pay, and you did, so strike that option.

By process of elimination ....

And why does it matter?  As posters above me have added, if you did the best you could on that day and under those conditions, I'd say to the question "did I salvage, bandit, or Litton", the answer is "you won."

2012-09-16 7:39 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Sorry to hear about the DNF man. Sounds like the ocean was crazy!! glad you made it out of the water ok.
2012-09-17 5:09 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Technically, you just dnf'd, but it sounds like you did it with style! Way to make the best of some rough circumstances!
2012-09-17 6:36 AM

Any time you can grab a free beer during a race is a win in my book!!!
2012-09-17 6:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Sounds like you made the best out of a bad stiuation. Glad you had fun.
2012-09-17 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4413088

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-09-17 9:22 AM

Wichita
Legit.  The only way you would have been like Kip is if afterwards you tried to pawn yourself off as being legit and winning something.  All you did was withdraw and then go ahead and get a workout in on the course that you had paid for anyway.  That is better then just leaving and going home.
2012-09-17 10:43 AM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Like others said, it was a salvage - you turned in your chip and therefore did not misrepresent yourself on the official standing. I don't understand why you didn't just fix the flat and continue the course, though? Sure, you would be well out of the standings. But that was going to be true anyway. Unless you were already the back of the pack as far as biking, you might be overestimating  the time you needed to fix the flat. If you aren't, then maybe you should practice changing a tire quickly for race days.

I thought of this video, though, when you talked about crossing the line and getting cheered on.

2012-09-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4414498

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
gearboy - 2012-09-17 11:43 AM

Like others said, it was a salvage - you turned in your chip and therefore did not misrepresent yourself on the official standing. I don't understand why you didn't just fix the flat and continue the course, though? Sure, you would be well out of the standings. But that was going to be true anyway. Unless you were already the back of the pack as far as biking, you might be overestimating  the time you needed to fix the flat. If you aren't, then maybe you should practice changing a tire quickly for race days.

I thought of this video, though, when you talked about crossing the line and getting cheered on.

I'll tell you why - I was dumb enough to head out without a pump or spare tube. And with the swim nightmare, I was so far back starting the bike, only the other 40 or so people that also got told to cut it and head to shore were behind me. (1000 raced) I saw all of them (I thought) head out on the bike as I walked mine back to T1. There was no support vehicle that I saw. I figured I would be last on the course by at least a 10 minute gap. I am not the absolute slowest biker, especiallyon a flat course, but certainly not going to make up much time -then my run is so slow, I just wasn't going to extend the course closing because I was the one guy out there. If it had been a big goal race for me, and really really important to finish, I would have. As it was, I was pretty knocked out from that hour against the current, and the nausea of the waves. I walked the bike back slowly, figuring I was done. It was only after I got to transition I realized I could just take the run and wave to the kids, and have a bit of fun with the tribe. 

It's like my 2012 season is just one comedy of errors after another. Bike spokes pop DNF .....heat exhaustion DNF..... bike missing/stolen DNS......  Poseidon's anger, flat tire DNF...... So far I am 1/5 for 2012 tris. 2011 was like beginner's luck.

I still have some serious redemption planned before the year is over. No worries. I get knocked down, but I get up again. 

I did see just a few bikers still coming in after I ran, which made me think I probably could have done it and not been last on the course. Then I looked at official times. There was one near 4 hours. So yeah, in hindsight, it was a weak move. But with the weak swim, I was already going for a consolation finish anyway. Hindsight is already kicking my behind here. I'm looking at the times, and while there were lots of us left at the end, so many people got through it in what I assume were the same conditions. Though, it must have gotten progressively worse. I talked to a guy in my motel who thought the swim was great, way better than last year. I thought he was insane. Then I found out he was in wave 2. They still had the current with them. Half an hour later when my wave went, it was a totally different story. I saw a number of people abandon the swim before hitting the first turn buoy. They probably aren't listed in the results at all. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I just salvage, bandit, or Kip Litton? Rss Feed