General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Training / Workout Food Choices and Fuel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-17 1:16 PM

Subject: Post Training / Workout Food Choices and Fuel

I am looking for some guidance on what to eat after working out.  I find that if I workout doing swim, bike or run for longer than 45 minutes I am STARVING all day.  Regardless of what I eat I am still so hungry its insane.

Part of the reason I started training was so I can lose the last 10 pounds (Lost / kept off 70 Pounds for the last 7 years - Yay me!).  The last 10 are extremely challenging.  I just finished training for two olympic distance races and trained for 5 months and gained 2 pounds.  It is def. not muscle since I am still holding the last 10 chubby pounds. 

Advice please.  It's driving me crazy that I am so hungry all the time. 

2012-09-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4414903

User image

Wichita
Subject: RE: Post Training / Workout Food Choices and Fuel

There are a lot of varying opinions on this, at least I think there are.  All I do is eat healthy food, i.e. lean meats, vegetables, fruit, whole grain, etc...  Some people are really getting into the Paelo diet and it says no grains.  I don't necessarily agree with it but everyone has their opinion.  

I will say that I trained for a HM and lost 3 lbs because I didn't eat right and I was always hungry.  I changed my diet and did another HM and lost 30 lbs.  Cutting out refined sugars and the like will do that.  I did an 18 mile run Saturday and never felt like I was starving all day.

2012-09-17 2:25 PM

If I'm close to home I'll do a fruit smoothie with 1st Endurance Ultragen mixed in, if I'll bring the Ultragen powder with me and just mix that in a water bottle. 45 minutes later I'll have a sandwhich of some sorts.
2012-09-17 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

No weight issues here but being hungry all day definitely can be one! I find this is particularly true after swimming, and after a morning workout, which seems to rev up the metabolism for the rest of the day. No amazing insights, but what has worked for me to get through time between meals without stealing my students' snacks--

*Breakfast with lots of fiber and protein (nuts on cereal, yogurt, peanut butter on whole grain toast). Limit refined sugars, which in some people can cause blood sugar to spike and crash, making you hungry again.

*Hydrating properly after workouts. Sometimes your body thinks it's hungry when it's actually low on fluids/electrolytes. Even after swimming--you sweat; you just can't tell since you're already wet!

*Protein and lots of veggies at lunch.

*Including protein in snacks, unless right before/during a workout. I used to just snack on carbs (granola bars, fruit, etc.) and found they just didn't keep me full. Adding a few nuts to the mix does.

Hope this is useful.

2012-09-17 9:15 PM

Thanks for the tips.   Im going to throw some nuts in the mix (before I go nuts looking at the same number on the scale again )

Also I like the breakfast ideas too.  I eat mostly healthy and have fruit and when I get to the last bite of the apple I am already hungry.  Im going to try these tips and hope for some results.

2012-09-17 9:16 PM

Thanks for the tips.   Im going to throw some nuts in the mix (before I go nuts looking at the same number on the scale again )

Also I like the breakfast ideas too.  I eat mostly healthy and have fruit and when I get to the last bite of the apple I am already hungry.  Im going to try these tips and hope for some results.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Training / Workout Food Choices and Fuel Rss Feed