General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 1s
Overall Rank = 58/121
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

This race was about an hour further away than any race I've done so far this summer, but mercifully it started an hour later too. Had my coffee and twigs and berries cereal and hit the road listening to BBC World Service which will forever remind me of this first season of races. When I arrived the temp in my car read 34 degrees, which is not very many degrees. Munched a Clif bar as I got set up and got my chip.
Event warmup:

Since I was one of the very, very few swimmers without a wetsuit I kept my sweats on as long as possible. With about five minutes to go I stripped down and got about waist deep in the water, just to get the initial shock out of the way.
Swim
  • 16m 7s
  • 965 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Without a mat at the start they sent the whole Elite+M30-39 off as a group. I stayed near the back as usual, and without a wetsuit I was happy I'd gotten acclimated to the chilly water before the start. The first length of the swim was hit-your-hands-on-the-ground shallow, with several of us walking at times. With the sun at the far end of the course sighting was easy until the last turn when the buoy disappeared in the glare, but otherwise a good swim with good cornering. By the end the water felt great.
What would you do differently?:

By my watch I was in and out of the water in just over 14 min, with the rest of the time spent jogging up to transition. A good swim for this distance (for me, anyway).
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

This transition took a bit longer just so I could get a thermal top and a shirt on before the ride, which could have proven to be the coldest part of the race. Glad I took the extra time, as I was very comfortable on the bike.

Not much. Decent (cold) transition.
Bike
  • 43m 1s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was my weakest leg all summer and this race was no exception. Pushed a decent pace (for me), taking advantage of the downhill portions toward the end of the course. I had, however, forgotten the hiker's rule that What Goes Down Must Come Back Up, so the first hill at about 10mi and the second hill shortly thereafter tried to take advantage of me. After an almost entirely flat course, theses didn't quite burn up my legs but definitely took me by surprise.

Know Thy Course. Duh.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Second time trying to get out of one shoe before the transition area, which went well, but getting out of the second shoe, not so much. Ended up running into transition with one shoe on my bike and the other in my hand. I'll blame cold fingers.

Once into transition I was smoothly out of my helmet and into my shoes. Not much to change.
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Was afraid I'd spent too much on the last hills in the bike portion but still had enough in the tank for a decent (again, for me) run. A beautiful run, with the view of the lake and the birds diving across the grass path.

Run faster, take in less scenery.
Post race
Warm down:

Found a quiet place to suck wind and then stretch. Put one of those fizzy electrolyte tabs in my water bottle. Blech.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

After this race and looking at my season overall, the weakest link and my training target for the off-season is the bike.

Event comments:

In terms of start times and results presentation, this was a much more organized HFP race than the Great Buckeye Challenge, which I think is a reflection of the tremendous popularity of the Girls Tri held at that previous event. A great way to wrap up the summer.

Last updated: 2012-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:07 | 965 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 54/121
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammers
Course: Rectangular course on calm water
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:01 | 12.4 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 69/121
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat loop with some smooth and some rougher asphalt, and a couple turns with gravel. Two decent hills that sneak up on you at the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 54/121
Performance: Average
Course: Slight incline out of the parking lot to the road, out over a grass path to the dam, then more pavement to the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 8:08 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed