KJ Multisport
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 14s
Overall Rank = 20/55
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

Came down from our cottage in WI, about an hour drive and I drank a SlimFast. Nervously watched the temp gauge to see if it would rise. Nope. 37 when I parked in the lot. At least there was no wind.
This is the first year for this race and it was nice to have it as a late season option, especially the long course. There was also a short course option (2k/20k/2k).
Everything was well organized and packet pickup was a breeze. I remembered to bring my headlamp and flashlight, which helped set up transition. Found my rack, set up and hustled back to the car for a warmup. Had a chocolate chip muffin and some water.
Event warmup:

I ran a bit to try and warm up. Feet eventually warmed up while I fretted about what to wear. We started with a 10k and I knew I would be warm, but standing around waiting to start, it was cold. Decided on a thin LS compression top with my tri top over it along with my tri shorts. Regular running hat, gloves and smart wool socks. If it would have been windy, I would have opted for a stocking cap and a wind jacket or vest. As it turned out, this was about perfect for me.
Run
  • 56m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good right from the start. I had been training pretty hard the 6 weeks prior to the race. Looked at my watch at mile 1 and saw 8:21 for my pace. While happy, this is way too fast for me, especially with a bike and another run coming up. Backed off a bit and was passed by quite a few people. I just decided to run my race. Once back in the park around 5.5 miles in, I slurped down a Gu Roctane. Felt it was easier here than fumbling with it on the bike. My hands warmed up so I took my gloves off.
This time is a PR for me for 10k by over a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Pace better? I could probably hold just under 9 minute miles and get under 56 minutes for a time, but this was a good run for me, especially since I knew the bike was going to be tough.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I am just not fast with these. Small transition area and I just took the time to make sure I was set. Decided on no gloves, mostly because I saw everyone else sans gloves. See T2. Grabbed my bike and paused to catch my breath and drink some water.

Giddy-up!
Bike
  • 1h 21m 49s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Settled into aero once out of the park. Found a nice gear to push and started picking people off. Side note, I did not get passed by anyone on the bike. I have been training hard for the bike too. Absolutely perfect conditions. The sun was up, temp was warming and no wind. Hands were cold and finally they either warmed up or went numb.
I knew the hill was going to be around mile 10 so I was mentally prepared for it when I turned the corner. About 1.5 miles up with some small rollers. Found my gear and spun up. Ended up on my brake hoods for most of the climb. At the top, turned and then had a screaming downhill section. Thought that wasn't bad but knew I had to go up again soon. Second loop started with my chain refusing to go from my big ring to small. Was fretting over climbing the hill in the big ring when it finally slammed into my small. No issues on the second climb and I was glad that was done. Got back into my big ring for the downhill then mostly flat back to the park. About 2 miles out, we were going slightly uphill and my legs were a little mushy so I tried to shift into the small ring. No dice. Hurt a little on a sharp uphill in the park but soon was heading towards T2.

What a range of emotions post race. I felt like this was a good bike leg and then my Garmin had my pace at 18.4. Was really disappointed. Then the official results got posted (18.3, ugh) and I found out that my bike split was 13th out of 55 and 3rd in my age group. That made me feel a lot better. The top guys all blistered the course, but I was solidly near the FOP otherwise. There are a lot of fast people out here in northern IL.
The hill is close enough to my regular long bike route so I'll start incorporating it into training next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Just not fast at these and my hands were so cold I could barely tie my shoes.

Damn, too lazy to put my Yankz in my new shoes.
Run
  • 29m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My hands and feet were cold and it took a bit for me to feel my toes. Felt I was shuffling a bit so I tried to pick up my cadence and land with a mid-foot strike. Was shooting for a 9 minute pace but just did not have it. Smiled and thanked the volunteers. Ended up running with a women from about mile 2 back into the park. Chatted about how much fun the bike was (not). Came around a corner and they had the finishers chute through a grassy area. Done! My Garmin had me exactly at 2:50:00.

More brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty good and just walked through the post race food and water. Got some Gatorade and a couple of bagel pieces. Thanked Vik, the race organizer. Got my stuff out of transition and packed up and went back for more food. Treated myself to 2 frosted chocolate cake doughnuts with sprinkles. Man I love being a triathlete! There was a band playing so I listened for a while, then headed out so I could catch the Bears game.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had done a dual before but never this distance. It was tough and that's why I chose to do the long course. Felt I executed about right, maybe do a little better on the run next year.

Event comments:

This is the first year for this race. Everything was organized and on time with plenty of volunteers. Nice atmosphere after the race with the live band a there was ton of food options. This is an excellent race for the area and was glad to see it on the schedule. I would highly recommend this to anyone. The short course had more participation and I think after this years event, the word will be out that this is a must do race, especially if you want a challenging bike.

Last updated: 2012-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:30 | 06.21 miles | 09m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Good
Course: Out of the park on onto some rural roads. Coming back towards the park was uphill for a good 1/2 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:21:49 | 24.8 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 13/55
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Head west out of the park onto country roads. Mostly flat at first, then there was a 5 mile loop that included 2 climbs up Deerpass Road, McHenry county's highest point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Average
Course: Again started in the park, but instead of heading out on the rural roads, we crossed the street and ran through a residential area. Couple of hills here and there but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Woodstock Duathlon

2013-09-09 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4425072

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Woodstock Duathlon
Nice Job! I came across this as I am considering do the event this year. I want to add another late-season local event and this one fits.

Are you racing again this year? Odds are the temps should be a bit warmer.
2013-09-09 1:12 PM
in reply to: Parkie

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Parkie Nice Job! I came across this as I am considering do the event this year. I want to add another late-season local event and this one fits. Are you racing again this year? Odds are the temps should be a bit warmer.

I would, but already have another race planned that weekend.

2013-09-18 7:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Yep, signed up again, although I have been focused on training for the Naperville Marathon on 11/10. My training calls for a 16 miles run Sunday but I am doing the race as my training. Deer Pass hill is no joke, especially for us flatlanders.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodstock Duathlon Rss Feed