United States
Richmond Multisports
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 5s
Overall Rank = 107/179
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Ate the same meal I had before the Olympic in July at Rocketts: Rotisserie chicken and minute rice. Unpacked and repacked bags.
Poor sleep. Out of bed at 430am. Ate a banana. At race site at 515am. Ate a Powerbar. Nerves set in around 6, really strong this time. Had to put my head between my knees to keep from throwing up in transition. No cold sweats or pounding heart or self-doubt, just horrible nausea.
Event warmup:

Getting on a wetsuit is workout enough, even with Body Glide.
Swim
  • 38m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a fast swimmer, so the rest of the first wave just went on ahead while I hung with just a few who seemed to be poor sighters and were swimming back and forth. 2nd wave (white caps) crashed on me right at the first turning buoy. Lots of bumping, but I was less bothered by this than in other OWS. Overall, it was a great swim for me, and I broke my Olympic swim time on the same course in July by three minutes. I did lose time waiting for the ladder, though. They really could have put up two or three temporary ladders.
What would you do differently?:

Keep practicing!
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

I am becoming a fast transitioner. I peeled down to the waist while running along the dock, so only had to plop down on my towel and pull the suit over my ankle chip strap. I usually struggle to get my shirt on (I don't have a tri top), but the residual body glide made it easy. Put socks on, which I don't normally do until T2.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride overall. I struggle to keep my pace down, even on easy rides to work. However, I knew that I couldn't blast and was careful to avoid the "burns so good" feel I go for on training rides. I was pleased I was able to keep that pace for that distance. On the last big climb over the overpass was the only time I needed to shift the front chainring, and of course I threw the chain. No problem, got it right back on, didn't really lose anything more than 10 seconds.
Brought throwaway bottles: large Deer Park bottles with sports tops, and I made one into Gatorade. Threw away half bottle of water for new bottle at mile ~32 handoff. Ate Clif Shot Blox throughout the ride, about one block every 20 minutes with a gulp of water. Felt very good about hydration / nutrition management to this point. Actually felt decently fresh getting off the bike.

More long rides. I over raced in the last two months. This was my third race in four weeks, and those sprints took the place of my long rides.
I'm glad I did the RTC sprint (I won Clydes), but it was very poor timing.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Great transition. I had a perfect rack spot, first rack facing Bike In. Bungee laces on running shoes are great, but probably not as important in a race of this length. Grabbed my hat from the RTC sprint and my water belt. Actually felt great at this point.

Slow it down!
Run
  • 2h 38m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

First two or three miles felt good. I had built myself a near 30-minute window in which I could come in under 2 hours. Unfortunately, this was not to be. I just kept grinding slower and slower. I was sore, but not so much that I couldn't move or that I was cramping. I was just fatigued. My calves did charlie horse at two miles to go but I just ran through it. Better to just get it over with. My hydration was good, my nutrition was ok, and I never felt overheated. I just couldn't keep a pace even close to respectable for me.

More bike-run bricks and more long runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Spread out on cot for about 45 minutes in VCU medical tent with ice packs. They took my BP, which was about 30 points lower than I am accustomed to. Blood sugar was good (thank you Clif). Foot spasmed visibly when they took my shoe off.
Went and got a stretch out by Ben from Active after I got up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough run endurance, perhaps too much racing in preceding weeks.

Event comments:

I had set a reasonable goal of 6:30 based on an Olympic PR of 2:57 on this same course in July, and a moonshot goal of breaking 6hrs. At 6:15 and middle of the pack in Clydes, I am overall very pleased with the result of my FIRST half-iron. What's more, I see a clear area for improvement that will take large chunks of time off. (They must not have had the big red digital clock at the finish sync'd to the chips, because when I saw the clock I legged it out just enough to cross before 6:15... 6:14:37 actually... but they posted me at 6:15:05... i talked to another guy who showed me that they added about 20 seconds to his time too)
Last year I did one race in Clydesdales and then dropped under 200 for the rest of the season, staying between 193-196. This year I have been in Clydes the whole time, steady at around 208. After the race I was 199. The following evening I was 190. I have no appetite. No sharp pain, just dull soreness all over. Feeling weak. It's going to be a long recovery.

Last updated: 2012-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 0/179
Performance: Good
Suit: 2012 Synergy Endorphin Full
Course: Up, across, and back down the river. I have been to maybe 5 or 6 RTC or RMS pre-swims here so I've gotten comfortable with the course. The only thing that is usually disconcerting is debris in the water, but it wasn't a problem this time.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:53:04 | 56 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 65/179
Wind: Some
Course: Not much flat, and only a few steep climbs. One section of pavement (~1mi?) had been milled by VDOT in the last month... they are getting in the bad habit of starting road work and not finishing it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:38:28 | 13.1 miles | 12m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 0/179
Performance: Below average
Course: What I would call pretty tough. Lots of stair climbing, surface changes, and turns. But it was a course that kept me mentally active: I hate running long and straight. The only part of the course like that was across the big bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %8.6
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes