General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » If this doesn't get me in shape, NOTHING will... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-26 1:48 AM

User image

Subject: If this doesn't get me in shape, NOTHING will...

Newbie un-lurking here....

A couple months ago, I arrived at THAT point... it's the point at which dissatisfaction with being out-of-shape finally overcomes the inertia to change, and I dragged my flabby butt to the YMCA to see if I could swim a lap or two without drowning. Turns out fat floats, and after getting in about 500 yards I left thinking, okay... I can do this (I grew up around water, and have always been a relatively strong swimmer, thank heavens!). Not dying was encouraging. :-)

Next, I dragged my 20+ year-old road bike out of the garage. It's a Raleigh Tri-Lite that I used both for commuting and fun as a young adult. Took it to my local bike shop, and they put it back into ride-able shape for me without a single snarky comment about the downtube shifters. Put it on a magnetic trainer that I failed to add to the yard sale pile for over ten years, and forced myself to pedal for ten minutes. Again, I failed to die. The next day I did fifteen minutes, and a couple days later I sweated through twenty.

So the next day, I went absolutely insane and entered myself in the Bonelli Park (CA) Turkey Tri thinking it was the same distance as the Steamboat Express that takes place at the same location. Turns out this is a longish sprint... 800yd swim, 14-mile bike, 4.5-mile run. Whoops. It's not until Thanksgiving weekend, but when I realized what I'd gotten myself into, I was a little unnerved.  Not only did I not run, I didn't even LIKE to run. Ouch.

So... I took a friend's recommendation and started the Couch-to-5K program a little over three weeks ago. It was going okay (I hated life while running, but survived) until tonight, when I joined a beginner's training run being put on by a new running shop in the neighborhood. They put me in the "runners" group, consisting of a few guys who were going to run a mile straight-through, and I thought that might possibly kill me. Turns out I not only went the distance... I didn't find it to be that difficult. I actually *ran* a mile. Whoa.

And... that's where I am now.  My overall goal is general fitness, as I'm facing my 43rd birthday next week and I'm feeling like this is that "use-it-or-lose-it" moment that I'd better do something about. The triathlon... that's just a deadline to keep me on track. My goal with respect to the tri is to finish without puking, and without injuring myself in the process. The swim should be no problem--I've put in some decent pool time over the years, and I've discovered that comes back quickly. It's the bike and run I need to focus on. so for now, I've been alternating bike/run days six days a week (Monday is an off day), and using my swim workouts to double up because those don't drain me as much. Also do strength training 3x a week after my runs. Not sure how well-prepared this will get me by late November, but I'm planning to join a masters' swim club in a couple weeks, and work in some bricks in early November.  Any other suggestions?  This will be my first-ever tri.

Thanks in advance for any tips you've got to share... :-)

Edited by saxdiva 2012-09-26 1:49 AM

2012-09-26 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4427847

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: If this doesn't get me in shape, NOTHING will...
saxdiva - 2012-09-26 2:48 AM

Turns out fat floats, and after getting in about 500 yards I left thinking, okay... I can do this...Not dying was encouraging. :-)

Like you, I started back on the road to fitness a couple months ago with a comittment to do an Ironman.  I had to chuckle because your description of that first time back in the pool could have been the description for me.  I too was encouraged and relieved that paramedics were not necessary!

Good luck on your goals!

2012-09-26 9:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Fat floats....in my case it floats but still swims poorly.  Great job getting committed and easing into triathlon.  Have fun at your first race!
2012-09-26 10:26 PM

User image

Pro

Keep moving forward....in two months you'll be there easily.  Watch the running......go easy...go EASY.  It's the  best chance you have of getting hurt and derailing your goal.  Run as easy as you can.....but steady....you'll be more than ready for a 4 miler in two months.

Keep in mind, most people who start down this road are gone within a few years.....many much sooner.  Don't be them!

2012-10-01 1:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Yup, you can do it!  Just take it easy ramping up your running (I always use the increase by 10% rule), you're already there with the swimming, and you should be able to get your biking up to 14.5 miles, no problem.  Remember that you can always walk for part of the run leg too. 

Don't worry about your time for your first, just plan on getting round, pacing yourself, and most of all having fun out on the course.  That is the reason most of us do this after all  You may feel nervous and underprepared (I most certainly felt that way before my first), but trust me, the moment the starter horn/gun goes off, all your worries vanish and your training takes over.

I went through something very similar to what you're going through 2 years ago.  70 lbs lighter, 5 sprint tris, 1 olympic tri, and a whole bunch of open water swims, and 5k runs later, I'm feeling absolutely fantastic and still loving the racing and training.  So keep up the great work and you will be ready.

P.S. I hate running too Laughing

2012-10-02 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on signing up.  I started in january, not knowing how to swim a lick so you are way ahead of me.  My 1st tri is in 3 weeks.  Enjoy the journey and remember to smile!

2012-10-02 7:37 PM

New user

You will be fine -- that is a TON of training.  And I often walk some on the runs.  So what?  It doesn't make the finish any less awesome.  It doesn't diminish the amazing thing you're doing.  Don't kill yourself and make sure to include some recovery/light weeks every third or fourth week.  Use one of the training plans on here.  And you will finish.   
2012-11-25 11:20 PM

User image

Quick update: After spending the last week and a half trying to find a good excuse to back out of the race I signed up for (my work schedule got unexpectedly hectic in October and hasn't let up much since), I gritted my teeth, showed up, and finished the tri... without puking. Cool

I was slow as molasses, but that's something I can work on in the months to come. Meanwhile, I had a great time and I'm blown away by how awesome triathletes are to beginners on the course. Race report to follow, and I'm already looking forward to next time.

Thanks for the encouragement!

-Leanne

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » If this doesn't get me in shape, NOTHING will... Rss Feed