Richmond Multisports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 06m 11s
Overall Rank = 161/180
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

typical -- get the water bottles set up and the gear in place. Bike racking was the morning of the race. I arrived at 6am and the place was alive and buzzing!
Event warmup:

I was planning to warm up in the water, but no one was in the water -- it was dark and chilly. So instead I did some moderate stretching and identified the swim course.
Swim
  • 38h 59m 54s
  • 1930 yards
  • 2h 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The current was mild, I did not even notice it. On the way back down river, the sun was in our eyes and I could not see the buoy's well. I focused on the smoke stack at the end and sighted that the entire way. Water was warmer than the air and it was a great river to swim in.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! My time was great, I drafted when I could, I did not follow the pack, but sighted and made straight lines where I wanted to go. My breathing was great and I felt good!
Transition 1
  • 06m 50s
Comments:

To get to the transition area it was a very long job, up the dock, up 29 steps, across a parking lot - it was pretty far. I put my sandals in a place where I could get them shortly after getting out of the water and I was glad I did. Sat down to take off the wetsuit. Pretty late decision to wear a windbreaker, but I was glad I did.

Would have put the camelback over the windbreaker. I thought I would warm up and take the WB off, but it did not get a lot warmer. I would have dried off my legs and feet more so there were not so cold and clammy going into my shoes.
Bike
  • 3h 43m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.04 mile/hr
Comments:

The headwinds did me in. I started off great, but as the race wore on, they increased and by the last 90 minutes, they never left and were even gusty. It was tough! The ride was pretty isolating -- I took a pit stop and no one passed me in the 90 seconds I was off the bike. As the miles wore on I got tired and bored.

Would have taken longer rides in more rural areas to pratice riding in significant head winds.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Easy transition, I had practiced this one a lot and it was helpful to have done so. Came in, chatted with family, racked my bike, changed shoes, helmet to hat, and I was off. Ditched the windbreaker.

Taken sunscreen with me if I did not want to put it on right during the transition. Taken my iPod with me, even if I did not use it or wear it immediately. It would have been worth a 2 minute deduction to have it with me during some of those longer stretches.
Run
  • 2h 34m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was very isolating. There were large portions where spectators could not even access the route, let alone 2 sets of 49 stairs. For several miles I was very much all by myself until I got to the next mile marker/aid station.

Take a moment to stretch before jumping into the run. Yes, it will add time, but my muscles needed it and I did not take the time to do it.
Post race
Warm down:

some walking around, chairs under a tent to relax in, stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headwinds

Event comments:

This was the first time they held this event and everything ran very smoothly during the race, but the post-race offerings were pretty weak. No water bottles to be seen - you had to get cups of water/Gatorade from the finish line. An hour later I was really thirsty and there was no water to be found. The food was very limited, too. I just finished exercising for 7 hours and all I got was a dixie cup of potato salad. No bananas, cookies, or other regular triathlon/10K items to be seen anywhere!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
38:59:54 | 1930 yards | 2h 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 112/180
Performance: Good
Suit: full body wetsuit
Course: almost a rectangle, out against the current for .6 miles, turn to the right at the first yellow buoy for .2 miles, turn right at the 2nd yellow buoy and swim back with the current for .4 miles. only one ladder exit, had to wait in line.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:43:24 | 56 miles | 15.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 164/180
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The first 15 miles were the last 15 miles. A few hills, very scenic, huge headwinds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:30 | 13.1 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Below average
Course: A lollipop shape, where we had to do the 'circle' portion 2 times. Involved a flood wall, trail running, 49 steps, along a canal, wooded areas, up an on-ramp, next to a highway, over bridges, very winding, not obvious, strange course that did not have a lot of 'flow', especially considering we had to do it twice. And all of it was in places where people were not going to go and watch us or cheer us on. The only people out there were the volunteers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes