General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Branson 70.3 Bike course vs. IM Wisconsin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-28 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Subject: Branson 70.3 Bike course vs. IM Wisconsin

I'm interested in hearing any comparisons/contrasts from anyone that has done both races. I just completed Branson this past weekend and I'm doing IM Wisconsin in 2013. Both races have reputations for tough bike courses and I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought that had done both.

For the record, I loved the Branson course, but it was very tough.

2012-09-28 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4431808

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Branson 70.3 Bike course vs. IM Wisconsin
TriBoilermaker - 2012-09-28 9:42 AM

I'm interested in hearing any comparisons/contrasts from anyone that has done both races. I just completed Branson this past weekend and I'm doing IM Wisconsin in 2013. Both races have reputations for tough bike courses and I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought that had done both.

For the record, I loved the Branson course, but it was very tough.

I have done both.  Branson 70.3 in 2010  and IMWI-2011    

I'm not going to say alot of technical stuff here  just some random thoughts that I've had after riding both.

Branson has much much more climbing.  Just driving to the course will make you quite nervous.  QUITE nervous.   My DW who is used to me taking on tough cycling challenges   wanted me to drop out of the race as we were driving around the Ozarks just getting to where we were staying. (right next to silver dollar city in rented condo)   The car was having issues getting up some of the roads.  ha!     But my God  that was fun.  The best of times/worst of times   Perhaps the 100 degree heat had something to do with it all too not sure.    But it was HARD  as you know.    plus screaming down that highway at 50+ MPH  for an extended amount of time was something.    seeing many tough Triathletes WALK their bikes up hills  err  mountains.  well I had not seen that before.

IM-Moo  is a cyclists course   you are never in the same gear for very long.     Really I was attracted to both of these events by the bike courses.   They are both what I consider to be "memorable"   "challenging".   You finish the course and you and your bike know you have gone through a lot together.      Wisconsin course is deceptive.  There isnt any one spot in particular that will scare you.   it just wears you down.   Its so easy to go to hard on loop one.    I practice rode the course about 5 times before IM  just dialing it in.  so that I knew how fast to take the first loop so I could not blow up on the second loop.      Not one part by itself will make you wonder why you ever took up cycling in the first place.     But it works you and works you  all day.    

Branson is like getting punched in the face by Mike Tyson  I mean one of those punches can knock you out.       Wisconsin is like getting jabbed and jabbed and jabbed till your legs go weak and eventually you may not want to answer the bell.    (Funny I have never boxed

So there you have it a very unscientific view.    I highly suggest both events to others.   Neither is easy.   But that is part of the attraction.   You won't PR  on either.   But dang you know you have been on quite the adventure.

2012-09-28 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for thanks.

I put in my race report for Branson that it was the best and worst ride at the same time! I was either going 8 mph or 40. It was quite a ride. I'm looking forward to Wisconsin and I think the Branson race will be a good prep for it. I know I'm not afraid of hills now at least!!

2012-10-04 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
I've never done Branson, but did IMWI twice.  None of the climbs are very long, but most are pretty steep, 10-18% and there are a ton of them.  There are a few fast stretches though.  Get up there and ride the course alot, that will help tons.  They also did alot of roadwork between '10 and '12 and the route got better, so hopefully they continue with that.  There is a fair amount of chip seal that will also wear in more by next year too.  Have fun! IMWI is awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Branson 70.3 Bike course vs. IM Wisconsin Rss Feed