General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how has ur experience been with training with power? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-29 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: how has ur experience been with training with power?
I started using a Power tap in January/ Feb and was at 174 watts when I started for a FTP test. Today I made the 200 club. I was at 206 for my test. I've done a lot of riding over the past 9 months. I started to neglect interval training when it got nice out in April/ May and pretty much went to long rides. I did my first Ironman in July and felt pretty decent. I'm happy with my results, however I'm kinda curious as to how much everyone else has improved with using power. I know from October to March I will still be doing a lot of interval work and suffering so I hope that my power will increase, but I'm nervous that my long rides won't be there. What are your experiences using a PT?

2012-09-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4433235

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: how has ur experience been with training with power?

Your long rides will be there or come rather quickly as you keep developing. You'll learn how to scale out your effort for various distances. I kept up a lot of volume on the trainer because I had the time and mental outlook to handle it. Many others have done well with the interval work and then scaling it out. It does work, and it works well if you take the time to understand it.

Power has given me another tool to help determine my effort and what is going on. And it's been very useful with it's instantaneous nature. I know what I'm doing right now and can see what I've been doing for some time. It can help determine if the course is harder than it looks or I'm just having a bad day. I can better determine effort level and targets in workouts using it, and have seen noticeable improvement.

2012-09-30 9:12 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I've been using power for about a year and see a TREMENDOUS difference in my strength on the bike. It keeps me honest and I always know if I am in the correct zones for the specific workout. I definitely feel stronger and can stay at a higher intensity with greater ease. Just my experience!
2012-10-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4434247

User image

Regular
Akron

runspingirl - 2012-09-30 9:12 PM I've been using power for about a year and see a TREMENDOUS difference in my strength on the bike. It keeps me honest and I always know if I am in the correct zones for the specific workout. I definitely feel stronger and can stay at a higher intensity with greater ease. Just my experience!

Do you know about what percentage you have increased from when you started to now???

2012-10-01 10:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

I revamped my training some to include more threshold work. Maybe 10% or so? I was already breaking 300 for FTP though.

Ended up going from just strong on the bike at local events to first or almost first on the bike. At bigger events, it's been right at the back of the men's pros (bike split only). With or just ahead of the faster women's pros.

2012-10-01 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

SEADOCHA - 2012-09-29 11:59 AM I started using a Power tap in January/ Feb and was at 174 watts when I started for a FTP test. Today I made the 200 club. I was at 206 for my test. I've done a lot of riding over the past 9 months. I started to neglect interval training when it got nice out in April/ May and pretty much went to long rides. I did my first Ironman in July and felt pretty decent. I'm happy with my results, however I'm kinda curious as to how much everyone else has improved with using power. I know from October to March I will still be doing a lot of interval work and suffering so I hope that my power will increase, but I'm nervous that my long rides won't be there. What are your experiences using a PT?

Two things:

1. Keep the intervals through summer or your FTP will go down (not a lot). Also, don't fall for the "I'm doing a HIM/IM so I need to ride long an easy...". Ride as hard as you can!

2. Check Jorge's training plan on the challenge me forum.

You gained almost 20% that is impressive so keep up the good work!

2012-10-02 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4434864

Scottsdale, AZ
SEADOCHA - 2012-10-01 10:20 AM

runspingirl - 2012-09-30 9:12 PM I've been using power for about a year and see a TREMENDOUS difference in my strength on the bike. It keeps me honest and I always know if I am in the correct zones for the specific workout. I definitely feel stronger and can stay at a higher intensity with greater ease. Just my experience!

Do you know about what percentage you have increased from when you started to now???

unfortunately no...but going by feel, my usual rides seem easier, I can climb way quicker than before...plus my bike times at races have improved...without feeling like I was really pushing.

I have to say that I use a indoor Cycleops bike with power meter, but don' thave one on my tri bike. I do all my interval work 2x/week indoors, then ride long on the weekends outside. As my improvement indoors increased, my outdoor riding improved as well!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how has ur experience been with training with power? Rss Feed