General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back after a 4 month break Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-30 9:00 PM

User image

Clemson, SC
Subject: Coming back after a 4 month break

Hey guys, I need a little advice. I got married back in June, moved, and started some new work, so needless to say, my fitness has declined a little bit. I managed to keep running 10-20mpw during the transition, but did only a little mountain biking and only a pair of OWSs. Back in May, I was probably at the best shape of my life.

I want to build back, but am not sure the best way to go about it. I had been planning to run a fall marathon in Nov, but after grinding through a pair of 15 mile long runs in early August, I became well aware that I was rushing it. Therefore, I've decided to slowly build a base over the next 4 months. Anyone have any advice on the best way to build my base fitness back? I'm thinking lots of slow volume for now, but I've been toying with the idea of throwing in some Jack Daniel style rep work and maybe a few sweetspot sessions on the bike. I've also thought about entering a 5k and doing an ftp test to track my improvements. What do you guys think? Any stories are welcome.

2012-09-30 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4434238

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
Subject: RE: Coming back after a 4 month break
I'd sign up for a race if I was in your position. Something doable but that will require you to work hard. If I don't have a goal I feel like I'm training pointlessly. 
2012-10-01 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
Madison
I've never been off for that long, but I would say take the long and easy approach for running. Get the volume and mpw back up before doing anything too drastic in terms of heavy speed work. Some intervals and hills should be ok. But not too often. The bike and swim you should be alright to get at them pretty hard. Since there's minimal/no impact, you'll recover faster and probably see improvements quicker. But still, don't go out right away doing 2-3x20's or something like that. At least not RIGHT away.
2012-10-01 11:21 AM

Master
Northern IL

Build up your running over time (again). Run lots (by running often), mostly easy, sometimes hard. Try to get more towards "lots" before adding in the "hard".

Have at it on the bike, as you are able. You can start harder ones very quickly on the bike. It'll just be hard for you. Slow down and rest up if you go too hard for a workout.

If I remember right, you already know how to swim better than most here do.

2012-10-01 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4435003

User image

Clemson, SC
brigby1 - 2012-10-01 12:21 PM

Build up your running over time (again). Run lots (by running often), mostly easy, sometimes hard. Try to get more towards "lots" before adding in the "hard".

Have at it on the bike, as you are able. You can start harder ones very quickly on the bike. It'll just be hard for you. Slow down and rest up if you go too hard for a workout.

If I remember right, you already know how to swim better than most here do.

How could I forget that quote. Sounds like a great plan. Thanks guys.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back after a 4 month break Rss Feed