General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cracked ribs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-22 7:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Cracked ribs
Not mine, thank God! SIL went over the handlebars last week during an on shore excursion in Barbados. We're doing a sprint tri on Sunday. It hurts her to breathe deeply. Would taping her ribs or doing something other than taking advil help her?

She can swim, bike, and run, but she can't go very fast since she can't breathe deeply. Between you and me, people who go on cruises deserve everything they get (kidding!), but if you all have any thoughts, we would greatly appreciate them. Thanks.

2004-06-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #33114

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-22 7:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-22 8:51 PM

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Cracked ribs
Maybe she'd enjoy being a volunteer.

Best wishes for her recovery.
2004-06-22 9:01 PM

New user

Glad I'm not the only one. I cracked my ribs a week before my first tri, which was this March. I went to the chiropractor, where I did a week of therapy, some laser/sonic thing, ice, and chiropractic adjustment. I don't think it helped, but at least I didn't feel quite so powerless. I had the chiro tape it up for the race, which helped with pressure from the run, and I only did the sprint distance instead of doing a full olympic as I had originally planned. I did a few light practices in each discipline before hand, to make sure I could complete the event w/o making it any worse, and I did the best I could on race day. It was very frustrating, and it has taken a few months to really heal. I wish her all the best. My doctor said I wouldn't make it any worse by competing, so I went for it. I would recommend she check with her doctor, just to be sure.
2004-06-22 11:12 PM

Regular
I cracked two of my ribs last November and the following three weeks were honestly the most uncomfortable in my life. The problem is if she further injures them it could puncture her lung and we all know that just isn't worth it. Also, I wouldn't suggest doing the triathlon if she could put it off because if its a crowded tri someone could easily hit her while swimming and since the swimming portion requires so much trunk rotation she would be uncomfortable right from the start. Try having her simulate a freestyle motion while standing and rotating her trunk for a few minutes. My guess is that it isn't going to feel too great. No amount of taping, icing or pills could fix that discomfort. Good luck with the healing and take it easy, cracked ribs hurt!

2004-06-23 11:14 AM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
I have cracked ribs in an OTB too.

There's nothing you can do to help the discomfort
ibuprophen is of marginal good

I don't know if it counts,
but when I had mine,
I was poor and working grunt construction
I got to spend a large chunk of the next day
throwing sheets of 5/8 plywood onto a roof
from the back of a truck
it hurt

I guess it's a matter of how badly it's cracked,
and how much tolerance for pain one has
2004-06-23 1:34 PM

Master
portland, or
I cracked two ribs in a fall while trail running in early May. Did the same thing and actually broke one in a fall three years ago.

After the incident three years ago I took two weeks off completely, and then eased back into training over the next two weeks. Any kind of movement was teeth grinding painful.

This last incident wasn't as serious, but I experienced the same discomfort she's having when breathing heavy. I took two weeks off from swimming; limited my running to shorter easy efforts; and spent a lot of time on my bike, but again kept the effort down. After two weeks I started ramping effort back up, and by the fourth week I was back to full speed.

I doubt taping will have any benefit other then a possible placebo effect. Managing the pain and rest is really the only "treatment".

The first two weeks are the worst. By the fourth week there will be very little if any discomfort, but I believe it takes six weeks to fully heal.

scott
2004-06-23 2:29 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I would think taping could actually be detrimental since it would further restrict breathing.  Personal choice, but I'd wait for the next one!
2004-06-23 3:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, everyone. We swam yesterday and that hurt her ribs, but I think she is still going to do the race (very slowly) because she wants to try to run three miles. She has never been a runner and has just worked herself up to a three mile run. I suggested she just do side stroke for the swim, so we'll see. The swim has always been her best leg so this is killing her.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cracked ribs Rss Feed