General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 100+ weight loss and life style change personal challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-03 11:33 PM

Subject: 100+ weight loss and life style change personal challenge
hello everyone my name is Jeremy I live near Wichita Ks. I am 30 (31 on the 12th but still 30 for another week). On may 16th at a huge weight of 315lbs I decided enough was enough and decided to change my life and loose weight ( for real and for good this time ) my big goal is to loose 100 lbs but once there will prob keep going. I have always been big but have decided to not use that excuse anymore. It's been almost 5 months and I have lost 60 lbs and I feel great. For the first few months I just counted calories and didn't excersize much I was just to heavy and out of shape I had to shed some pounds first. In early august I finally got to where I could start working out. So I have been working out steady now for 2 months and I love it I try to work out 5 times a week it's kind of hard cause I travel for work every other week 8days on 7 off but I make it work. I've found my self looking forward to my work out and I get disappointed if I miss one. Now on to triathlon stuff. In highschool I was active in sports football and wrestling and I enjoy most other sports as well I like trying anything new. Ever sence I was a little kid I've been interested in triathlon I even remember the first ironman I watched on tv but never thought I could do it. The more fit I get the more I actualy believe I could do triathlons. so last week I decided I'm going to train for triathlons and started train on Friday. I've been taking a cycle class and a water tabata class and started swimming biking and running 3 times week when I'm home and when I'm on road I do strength training cycle and run 3-5 times a week. As for planned races I'm starting small I'm going to do the mini indoor triathlon cup series at the YMCA in town they are once a month untill aprill the first one is nov 11th. It is basically a half sprint distance as far as I know 500 yard swim 6mile bike and 2mile run. Once I have completed as many of those I can I will do a sprint triathlon in late spring or maybe several next summer then advance to an Olympic distances and further in time hopefully but for now just small steps. My skills so far : swimming not so good I look like a flopping walrus but can swim for 20 mins + non stop I'm looking into swimming lessons , biking is just on Stationary bikes right now (don't have a bike yet) but today I did 8miles in 30min (good start?) , running ok today I ran 1 mile in 11 min. I love how I feel and look today but still have long way to go with my weight loss and my triathlon training. There has been a few people tell me I can't do this or it won't last long etc but I'm a totally committed to this and will not give up and there negativity is only fueling my fireSorry for the long post I wanted share a little of my story thanks for reading I look forward to learning more about this sport and geting to meet new people whith common goals God bless Jeremy Warren

2012-10-08 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4440028

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: 100+ weight loss and life style change personal challenge

Yeah, don't listen to the naysayers.  Your progress has been amazing and the hard part is actually over - you have already formed the good eating and exercise habits - all you need to do is be consistent and the pounds will keep coming off.

Keep us posted on the YMCA tri coming up...it seems like the distance is perfectly lined up to where your fitness will be then.

Good luck and welcome!

2012-10-08 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Welcome to BT!  Sounds like you're off to a good start.  Just keep at it.  Consistency is the key in both your exercise and diet.  Plenty of good folks here who can provide advice and encouragement.  Good luck in your journey.

Mark

2012-10-10 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

You're doing great and don't listen to those people who say "it won't last" or "you won't keep it up", because they just don't know what you're trying to do.  You may have hiccups along the way, but work through them and keep doing what you're doing, because it's obviously working for you!

I made a very similar decision to you to stop being a 5'10" 250 lb female couch potato, and to get fit again by doing tris.  2 years later, I'm 70 lb lighter (still about 15 lb to go!), fitter than I've been in the last 30 years, keeping the weight off, and absolutely loving the training and racing.  The people and friends I've made in this sport are incredibly fun and supportive, and that includes the folks here at BT.  Many of us here on BT made exactly the same decision as you to lose weight and get healthy again, and guess what - it works Laughing

I think you're got a great plan, as ramping it up slowly means you've got less chance of getting injured.  I started losing weight and training for a full year for my first tri, a sprint triathlon (the shortest length I could find locally).  5 sprint tris later, plus a bunch of 5k, open water swims, and spash and dash events, I started training this year (after overcoming a running injury) for my first Olympic tri.  I wasn't sure I could do it, but I successfully raced last month, with a very large and very stupid grin on my face. 

Keep training, keep having fun, and I'm sure your achieve all your goals. 

2012-10-14 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Eldorado, Texas
Welcome. You can also check out the Clyde forum too.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 100+ weight loss and life style change personal challenge Rss Feed