General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specific strength training to improve running times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-04 12:44 PM

User image

New user

Lithia, Florida
Subject: Specific strength training to improve running times

Does anyone have any very specific strength training exercises that can help improve 5K race/pace times (and what was your experience with them)? 

I'm feel like I'm pretty slow in my runs (9:00-9:15 pace), but consider myself in great shape.  I just want to make sure that I'm not missing any specific muscle strength and if so I want to be able to improve.

I know strength training alone isn't the answer but I want to take advantage of everything possible.

2012-10-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4440802

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Specific strength training to improve running times

Any good functional weight training program will help you improve your running; just think large muscles: squats & deadlifts. 

I've been using kettlebells with clients and in my own training the last couple of years and have seen some good improvements as well. 

2012-10-05 7:53 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Run more.  Strength is not your issue.
2012-10-05 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
How much and for how long have you been running? While there are possible marginal gains to be had via strength training, if you want to improve your running, you'll need to run more.

More can take different routes, more volume, more intensity or a combo of the two but for most AG triathletes, more should primarily be a funtion of more easy miles.

Shane
2012-10-05 12:08 PM

User image

New user

Lithia, Florida

Thanks everyone for the feedback and its kind of what I figured.  The best way to improve your run, is to run.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as my run training and experience has been somewhat limited to this point.

2012-10-05 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've been a weight-lifter most of my life and enjoy spending time in the gym.

That being said, running has always been my weak event and I've focused on it for the last couple of years.  I'm seeing improvement in my running, but I have to attribute it to higher volume & frequency, consistency and weight loss in equal measure.

I still lift, but it is primarily to help ward off injury and off-set muscle loss as I get older (I'm coming up on 60).  I should mention that I have chronic patella tendonitis in my right knee and Achilles tendonosis in my left heel.   I work my legs once a week at the gym and do squats (or leg presses), leg extensions, hamstring curls, & calf raises.  Although lifting doesn't make me faster per se, in my situation it does help keep me out there on the road training.

Mark

2012-10-05 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4442482

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
RedCorvette - 2012-10-05 1:35 PM

That being said, running has always been my weak event and I've focused on it for the last couple of years.  I'm seeing improvement in my running, but I have to attribute it to higher volume & frequency, consistency and weight loss in equal measure.

I still lift, but it is primarily to help ward off injury and off-set muscle loss as I get older (I'm coming up on 60).  I should mention that I have chronic patella tendonitis in my right knee and Achilles tendonosis in my left heel.   I work my legs once a week at the gym and do squats (or leg presses), leg extensions, hamstring curls, & calf raises.  Although lifting doesn't make me faster per se, in my situation it does help keep me out there on the road training.

Mark

This ^^^ for me, and if you're looking for a sport-specific strength training session, do some hill repeats.
2012-10-15 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4442942

Elite
Denver, Colorado
jmhpsu93 - 2012-10-05 3:39 PM

Mark

This ^^^ for me, and if you're looking for a sport-specific strength training session, do some hill repeats.

X3 on agreeing with the above. Do a general and simple weight training program to maintain muscle balance. The muscle balance is what will help prevent injuries. When I say simple I mean pick two "big" exercises and just do those. Squat and bench or deadlift and overhead press. Yes, that simple.

Specific strength training will be running based. Run hills until you hate running hills, then run one more. Intervals are good, too. Stick to 400 meter/quarter mile repeats. Find a grassy or dirt field and do some bounding drills. Do a session of jump rope to build explosiveness in the calves. Don't do all of these in the same workout, however.

Run more.
2012-10-16 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4454286

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
MikeTheBear - 2012-10-15 2:17 PM
jmhpsu93 - 2012-10-05 3:39 PM

Mark

X3 on agreeing with the above. Do a general and simple weight training program to maintain muscle balance. The muscle balance is what will help prevent injuries. When I say simple I mean pick two "big" exercises and just do those. Squat and bench or deadlift and overhead press. Yes, that simple. Specific strength training will be running based. Run hills until you hate running hills, then run one more. Intervals are good, too. Stick to 400 meter/quarter mile repeats. Find a grassy or dirt field and do some bounding drills. Do a session of jump rope to build explosiveness in the calves. Don't do all of these in the same workout, however. Run more.

That won't take long :-)

2012-10-16 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4442416

User image

Elite
Cleveland
iowatribob - 2012-10-05 1:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback and its kind of what I figured.  The best way to improve your run, is to run.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as my run training and experience has been somewhat limited to this point.

Absolutely the best way to improve the run is to run - lots, however, there are stabilizer muscles in the core that, if weak, can definitely have a negative impact on your running.

Man, I wish I could find the video of this guy speaking to a bunch of multi-sport athletes about strength training for the run... it was absolutely awesome and included some great exercises, too.  Basically, the gist of it was that you need to have a strong core, which includes glutes, lower back, transverse abdominus, hip abductors (gluteus medius), etc...

It is when those muscles are weak is generally when you see people with really poor running form. 

E.g. Weak gluteus medius' will lead to the hips tilting excessively when you run, which will cause you compensate by tilting your shoulders in the opposite direction... causing you to be one of those people that sway side to side when they run. Likewise, the transverse abdominus is where you would typically feel a "stitch", and it is generally seen that the fitter the individual is, the less likely they are to experience side "stitches". A weak transverse abdominus may also cause your pelvis to rotate forward slightly, misaligning your lower back.  

You don't need to be a body builder or try to become Conan, but properly applied strength training can definitely help the runner.

2012-10-17 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4456767

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
cgregg - 2012-10-16 9:06 PM
iowatribob - 2012-10-05 1:08 PM

Absolutely the best way to improve the run is to run - lots, however, there are stabilizer muscles in the core that, if weak, can definitely have a negative impact on your running.

Man, I wish I could find the video of this guy speaking to a bunch of multi-sport athletes about strength training for the run... it was absolutely awesome and included some great exercises, too.  Basically, the gist of it was that you need to have a strong core, which includes glutes, lower back, transverse abdominus, hip abductors (gluteus medius), etc...

It is when those muscles are weak is generally when you see people with really poor running form. 

E.g. Weak gluteus medius' will lead to the hips tilting excessively when you run, which will cause you compensate by tilting your shoulders in the opposite direction... causing you to be one of those people that sway side to side when they run. Likewise, the transverse abdominus is where you would typically feel a "stitch", and it is generally seen that the fitter the individual is, the less likely they are to experience side "stitches". A weak transverse abdominus may also cause your pelvis to rotate forward slightly, misaligning your lower back.  

You don't need to be a body builder or try to become Conan, but properly applied strength training can definitely help the runner.

I agree with much of this.  Running motion is primarily in the sagittal plane (front to back), so the muscles we use to move in the frontal plane (side to side) tend to be neglected, leading to imbalances.  This can be especially noticeable when someone who does most of their running on flat surfaces such as asphalt or concrete jumps into a trail run, which tends to demand more of the lateral stabilizers.  They frequently end up a little sore, because they're utilizing different muscles.

When prescribing strength training to runners and triathletes, I focus on exercises that improve flexibility, balance, and strengthen the muscles neglected by swiming, biking, and running and the core muscles that support good s-b-r form.  I avoid exercies that work the primary s-b-r movers, because I don't want to compromise the quality of their next s-b-r training sessions because those muscles are fatigued from a strength training session.

Edited by TriMyBest 2012-10-17 7:38 AM

2012-10-17 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4457108

User image

Elite
Cleveland

TriMyBest - 2012-10-17 8:20 AM   avoid exercies that work the primary s-b-r movers, because I don't want to compromise the quality of their next s-b-r training sessions because those muscles are fatigued from a strength training session.

...and it's best to let the S-B-R shape the primary S-B-R movers if the goal is to improve S-B-R.  Specificity of training.  

The body is a massively interconnected chain, and any weak link in the chain affects, and is seen in, other parts of the body, affecting overall performance.  I think of holding a chain. I can waggle the top of it and see that movement snake its way down the chain, but I cannot cannot get it to hold a form or ever hope to hold it straight out to the side if I cannot stabilize every joint in that chain.  One weak joint in that chain, and part of it will flop and find its own path of least resistance, affecting everything else down the line in that chain.

Edited by cgregg 2012-10-17 8:32 AM
2012-10-18 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4441587

Master
Memphis, TN
tzcoaching - 2012-10-04 9:31 PM

Any good functional weight training program will help you improve your running; just think large muscles: squats & deadlifts. 

I've been using kettlebells with clients and in my own training the last couple of years and have seen some good improvements as well. 

I disagree.  If you are a sprinter then I would agree but long distance running not about "strength" like a weight room.  If anything I would suggest to the OP core work and you can use kettlebells for that.

2013-03-10 6:42 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas

Squats, deadlifts, heel lifts, toe lifts, calf raises, presses... To be included with running, sprints, FARTLEKs, hills (up and down), speed runs, max O2 runs, etc.. In order to get better at running, you need to run. Incorporating all of these types of exercises will provide additional gains in performance.

Good point on the type of running you plan on doing.. For my purposes, I assume you are looking at increasing tri based runs... These runs need to focus on speed and endurance.

2013-03-12 2:44 PM

Run hills. You'll get stronger and faster.
2013-04-16 4:50 AM

User image

Regular
The Sipp

Weight lifting = weight

Weight = slower

More running = improved cardio

Speed work = fassssster times

Maybe hit the track and not the gym

2013-04-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4653499

User image

Champion
PA
JMMauldwin - 2013-03-10 7:42 AM

Squats, deadlifts, heel lifts, toe lifts, calf raises, presses... To be included with running, sprints, FARTLEKs, hills (up and down), speed runs, max O2 runs, etc.. In order to get better at running, you need to run. Incorporating all of these types of exercises will provide additional gains in performance.

Good point on the type of running you plan on doing.. For my purposes, I assume you are looking at increasing tri based runs... These runs need to focus on speed and endurance.

^^^^^

I found my best results with the Farkleks and hills.  In addition to the gains, just mixing in these different types of runs really helps to keep things more interesting. 

2013-04-16 8:05 PM

New user

I think the best part of strength training for me is that it helps keep injury at bay.  Yes it has added some weight to my frame, but not size/inches.  

Just my experience

2013-04-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4703297

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Reneerunner - 2013-04-16 9:05 PM

I think the best part of strength training for me is that it helps keep injury at bay.  Yes it has added some weight to my frame, but not size/inches.  

Just my experience

Agree.  Lighter does not always equal faster.  Me lighter with less muscle density doesn't feel nearly as strong and is not as fast as me with a tad bit more muscle density and a bigger number on the scale.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specific strength training to improve running times Rss Feed