General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf strain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-19 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Subject: Calf strain
Hello - I was hoping to get some advice or tips for recovery with a calf strain. 3 weeks ago while running I noticed a tightness in my calf but kept running. I finally stopped after 3 miles and stretched but it didn't help. For the next week I rested and stretched until pain in the upper calf went away. I went out for a short easy run and 5 minutes into the run - back comes the pain in the upper calf. I wait another week until there is no pain at all and I decide to test it by going for a short easy run. 5 minutes in it's back again.

Anyone have similiar problems with tips on cure - other than more rest?

2006-06-19 3:52 PM
in reply to: #459259

User image

Toronto
Subject: RE: Calf strain
Is the pain deep?
This had happened to me a few times in the past couple of years.

While I'm sure more experienced runners than me may have alternate suggestions, I have found massage to be the best fix for calf pain in the upper muscle. They can get in deep where it is hard to stretch.

2006-06-19 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Yes - the pain is deep in the upper inside calf. I guess I will have to wait for the pain to subside then give it an extra week before light running.
2006-06-19 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
I agree with tchick, massage may be best to release the tissues deep in the muscle. It will hurt but it will fix it!!  It's too hard (aka impossible) to try and stretch the affected part when it's that deep in a muscle.
2006-06-20 11:29 AM

Massage and physical thereapy would help. I tore my calf muscle (soleus) years ago and the pain would come back regularly after running for a mile or so. It was debilitating, so I finally went to a PT who performed a treatment on it for a period of 6-8 weeks. It was called ASIC or something, where they take a hard plastic tool and literally reshape the calf muscle, smoothing out any scar tissue. Hurt like crazy and left me with bruises, but I've had no problems since then (last November).
2006-06-21 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
I tore mine last August.  Did a little massage, but nothing consistent.  Ended up going to the chiropracter for 2 weeks of ultrasound and EMS.  Haven't had any problems since.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf strain Rss Feed