United States
DRC Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 55s
Overall Rank = 34/108
Age Group = M45-59
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Couple of pop-tarts, juice, then Dr Pepper; want that GI tract empty. Got the bike over Sun morning, started setting up and got rained on. Should have put everything in one of the garbage bags I had in my backpack.
Event warmup:

A little light running.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 440 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

While I would have preferred to have a full tri, I was happy it was bad enough to cancel. I was concerned it would just be bad, yet acceptable and rather tough for me, and that might be a bit much.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 45m 58s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved the TT start on the bike. Lots of people to pass. Started hard and kept it going. Some early parts I just stayed left as I passed multiple people. I managed to make it over 13 miles before someone on a tri bike passed me, and only got passed by a total of 3 riders, all on tri bikes.

What would you do differently?:

Just keep working on the speed. I'm doing well and getting faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

A little slow due to wet feet and changing socks.

Get socks out of the ziplock. It kept them dry though.
Run
  • 25m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Started of a bit fast, and brought it back on my run pace. Tried to get a drink on the way back and that didn't work well. Started coughing after choking on the water a little.

Run more and skip drinking on the run. I'm getting faster, but 8:23 min/mile won't cut it. There isn't enough bike distance to make up for my running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water, grabbed a little to eat. Felt fine. Checked times, found I was 5th, even with no swim (I just lose time on the swim).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more running. Biking will help more too, but that's pretty good for only 2 1/2 months of biking.

Event comments:

Race was really well done. The police and volunteers did a fantastic job. I only had an issue at one round-about, and there was nothing the police could have done about it, that driver was just a pain driving so far right through the round-about we made a right turn in on the way back.

I liked the call the RD had to make on the swim portion. The TT bike start was fun. Looked at last year's results and adding in my slow swim and a T1 and I may have been 1st or 2nd, so I'm happy with my speed. Faster people showed up this year, and I've only been biking again for 2.5 months and really working on my running for not much longer. With that in mind I'm happy.

Last updated: 2012-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 440 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 24/108
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Swim canceled due to 5'+ waves and high rip current warning.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:58 | 16 miles | 20.88 mile/hr
Overall: 24/108
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and bank along A1A, very flat. It was wet with puddles, some large, from the rain the night before and morning of the race. We got throughly soaked on the bike, but it was fine. I rode enough growing up and in college that I had no issues with the wet roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:58 | 03.1 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 58/108
Performance: Average
A few of us thought it seemed a little short, maybe 3.0 miles instead of 3.1. I agree as my time was fast (for me). This would be my second fastest 5K ever, so I'm a little suspicious of the distance. It was the same for everyone, so that's fine.
Course: Out and back, very flat, into Fort Clinch, which kept it shaded and out of the wind for most of it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-16 9:23 AM

New user
Subject: Ameliaman Sprint Triathlon

2012-10-16 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4455510

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ameliaman Sprint Triathlon
Wow! You've only been biking for 2.5 months? Super impressive! Nice race.
2012-10-16 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4456462

New user

Well, biking again.  Sorry, I can see where what I wrote could be meant to say I never biked before.  I have a coworker that literally learned to ride a year or two ago and she's in her 30's.  I biked a lot growing up and in college, largely as a means of transportation.  Did a couple of tri's back in college and a short bike race.  Then rarely rode much after that; I'm now 47.  I rode my mountain bike a little this spring to help my daughter get ready for the bike leg of a tri relay team.  Then decided to get back into it and bought a road bike at the end of July.  I know how to ride, just haven't done much of it for 24 years.

In college I often rode every day, but not far, mostly to get to class; I lived off campus.  Or to visit friends and some times I deliver bills instead of mailing them to have an excuse to go ride.  It was also my go-to break during exam studying.  Should have gotten into back then, but didn't really know anyone that did it seriously and didn't have much support from the family on the idea.

Sorry, didn't mean to be misleading.

2012-10-16 10:57 PM
in reply to: #4456728

User image

Extreme Veteran
I still think it's pretty good. I had a kiddie Schwinn and a BMX as a youngster and spent lots of time on them. I did a little commuting on a 10-speed in college and did some road rides on a cheap mountain bike a few years ago. I am riding a tri bike now and it is so different. I am getting better, but I still feel awkward sometimes. I skipped the modern road bike step Smile 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameliaman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed