General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Safety Study Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-23 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: Cycling Safety Study
Here is a pretty good write up on cycling injuries and how we can put the odds more in our favor to be safe while we are riding. For most of us we are stuck to certain routes but for those of you that have options please read this. Stay Safe!

http://cyclingincities.spph.ubc.ca/...ries/the-bice-study/

A few points I took away from it for those that don't want to read the article:

"The injury trips were mainly on weekdays (77%), less than 5 km long (68%), and for utilitarian purposes (74%). Of the injury events, 72% were collisions (with motor vehicles, route features, people, or animals) and 28% were falls.

The most commonly observed route type was major streets with parked cars and no bike infrastructure. It had the highest risk. In comparison, the following route types had lower risks (starting with the safest route type):
  • cycle tracks (bike lanes physically separated from motor vehicle traffic) alongside major streets (about 1/10 the risk)
  • residential street bike routes (about 1/2 the risk)
  • major streets with bike lanes and no parked cars (about 1/2 the risk)
  • off-street bike paths (about 6/10 the risk)

The following infrastructure features had increased risk:
  • streetcar or train tracks (about 3 times higher than no tracks)
  • downhill grades (about 2 times higher than flat routes)
  • construction (about 2 times higher than no construction)

2012-10-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4465313

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Cycling Safety Study

Very interesting to quantify the different risks.  I think we would know just from common sense the order of greater risk.  It is useful to see that it is 10 times riskier to ride on main thoroughfares than bike trails.  

The study doesn't separate multi-use from bike-only trail.  I avoid the multi-use trails on a bike because I think it is too hazardous for high speed bikers to be close to walkers, strollers etc.

TW

2012-11-05 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4465313

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Cycling Safety Study
I only have one season under my belt, but I am a little shocked that off-road bike paths factor so highly.  It is a little counter intuitive for a newbie.  Great study, I'll be sure to pass it on!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Safety Study Rss Feed