General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike Recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-20 5:17 PM

Elite Veteran
Subject: Mountain Bike Recommendations
I'm planning to purchase a mountain bike, not necessarily for hard core off-road riding, but more for those rides where you have to stop all of the time. I'd also like to do some off-road riding but I have zero desire to ride down Pikes Peak or anything like that.

I'd like to spend <$1k. Does anyone have any recommendations, or thoughts to consider before I head to my LBS? I know next to nothing about bikes in general and I know nothing at all about mountain bikes.

2006-06-20 5:32 PM
in reply to: #460884

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: RE: Mountain Bike Recommendations

I totally understand that there are times when a road bike is too "race-y" for some rides.  (I'm actually in the market for a beach cruiser for an around the town sort of bike

Maybe what you're really after is a hybrid or commuter bike?  These will put you more upright and you can slap on some platform pedals... 

Mtn bikes are made for, well, mountains.  They tend to be pretty beefy (esp the cheaper ones) and are pretty slow on the road - you don't really need the shock and super knobby tires, even for some dirt trails.

My $0.2

2006-06-20 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
I actually have a hybrid bike (that is slowly-but-surely being transformed into more of a road bike) and I've had it for 14 years. It may not be the fastest thing out there, but it sure is nice for those roads where the cracks are more like caverns. Mine is a Schwinn Criscross. I don't know if they still make 'em (mine was made in 1991), but if you find a used one and it's in good condition, I'd recommend it.

I'm replacing all the parts on it because I really do dream of having a road bike or a tri bike...I just can't afford one. Someday, however, my bike will be "brand new"...it's just gonna come one piece at a time!
2006-06-20 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
I'd like say one word ............ KONA

2006-06-20 9:27 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI

I would look at a cyclo-cross bike.  CX bikes are basicly road bikes with mountain bike brakes and wider, cushier tires.  You get better efficiency on paved roads then with a hybrid or a trail bike, and it still has the grip and cushion to take on some mild single track.  You can relax the fit as much as you like.  Doesn't have to be a special bike for that.

My other suggestion would be a base model Trek mountain bike and replace the tires with a solid hard pack race tire, like The Bonty Revolt SuperX.  It's barely knobby in the middle, but has some bite on the sidewall, so when you hit trail, you can air down or just let it grip on the tighter corners.  I've commuted and ridden trails on those tires and they perform wonderfully on everything but ascents with loose rock.

2006-06-20 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Illinois
You can get a lot of MTB for less than $1k. I would go to your local LBS you work with and see what brands they work with. But if you want a light hardtail I would definatly look at the Scott bikes, or for a nice softtail for less than $1k maybe a Santa Cruz. I could realy go on and on about MTBs, but really I would go to your LBS first to narrow down your options.

2006-06-20 9:54 PM

Elite Veteran
Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm so glad I asked the question....I've never heard of cyclocross bikes, for example! That may be what I'm really after.

If I'm doing a long ride, I'll drive to get to a place where I can just put in the miles on my road bike in a safe manner. On Sunday I couldn't (Father's Day and all) so I just rode to a local trail from my house. I wasn't unsafe but it was 'clip in-clip out' each and every two or three blocks till I got to a trail where I could "hammer" for one-three miles to clip out to cross major roads. I thought that my road bike was a silly choice. I'd really like the freedom to just ride out of my driveway to do some of my rides without worrying about clipping in while crossing an uphill intersection in traffic.

Thanks again!

ETA: Just read Luv's post. I really am an idiot with this sort of stuff. I don't know the difference between hard-tail and soft-tail. I honestly don't know anything about mountain bikes. If you respond, you'll be teaching a lot of us the whats-what about bikes!

Edited by lynda 2006-06-20 9:58 PM
2006-06-20 10:10 PM
in reply to: #461084

Elite
Laurium, MI

hard tail = no rear suspension

soft tail = rear suspension.

How long have you been riding?  It sounds like you are still pretty new to clipless pedals.  With time you will get to the point where clipping in and out will be more natural then stepping on platforms, and worrying about excessive unclipping will be the farthest thing from your mind.  One thing to remember is that you don't have to clip in to pedal.  If I'm starting an uphill section, I might ride with my right foot on top of the pedal (not clipped in) until I can get enough speed to coast and clip in.  As you get better, you will be better at hitting the pedal every time, and this whole problem just vanishes.

2006-06-21 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Illinois
Sounds like a cyclecross bike might be the thing for you. Or even just a comfort bike. Once again I stress going to your LBS. Tell them the trail you are riding and areas you plan to ride and tehy should be able to point you towards bikes that fit that style. Here are a few examples from my LBS.

Marin Larkspure - comfort riding or light train riding
Bianchi boardwalk - a little more towards touring the unpaved trails
GT Zaskar - great off-road hardtail that you can do almost anything with except 6'+ drops
Scott Ransom - Do anything fullsuspension bike (out of price range but way cool)
Foes DHS Mono - Ride down a mountain, jump off a cliff (also out of price range but I own one and it is way fun)

Sounds like you are more into the Larkspure/boardwalk type. Also if you are looking closer to the Zaskar type bike then you might want to think of different shoes and pedals, something with 2 or 4 sided clip ins and shoes that flex a little so you can run/walk off road in them.
2006-06-21 9:04 AM
in reply to: #461082

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

luv2flyjrn - 2006-06-20 7:50 PM ...or for a nice softtail for less than $1k maybe a Santa Cruz. I.

Santa Cruz actually makes a bike priced under $1K?   

2006-06-21 9:11 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
I had a 2001 GT Avalanche 1.0 (disk brakes and Shimano XT components throughout) that I bought on a clearance sale for ...well, much <$1K! If I knew then what I know now, I would have never replaced that bike with my current Trek Liquid.   

2006-06-21 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
You should probably be looking at a lower end hardtail bike and will probably not come close to spending a grand. I have a Trek 6500 (middle of the road hardtail) and I really love the bike. Retails for around 700 and have added other stuff like clipless pedals, flat bar instead of riser bar, new stem, etc. You could get away with a lot less bike than that I am sure. Go to your LBS and like others said, make sure they know what you plan to do with the bike and let them make suggestions. I would caution though to stay away from the "comfort" bikes if you ever think you will want to do any serious trail riding. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
2006-06-21 11:26 AM

User image

I am so glad to see someone interested in mountain biking!

If you are interested in going off road at all, I have to suggest a Gary Fisher.  They have perfect geometry for beginners (perfect geometry in general)!  I have a Tassajara that I just LOVE!  Its a hardtail (front suspension) and therefore reasonably priced.  If you are interested in any kind of off-roading, you can expect some mishaps that every beginner experiences.  My Tass has made me a much better rider and keeps those mishaps from happening too often.  However, I don't recommend clipless pedals until you have a pretty good ability on the bike.  If you go to MTBR.com the Tass recieves rave reviews.  You could probably pick one up for ~$700.  You can always upgrade components as you discover what you like/need. 

You honestly can't go wrong with Gary Fisher.

2006-06-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: #461608

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
triOK - 2006-06-21 11:26 AM

I am so glad to see someone interested in mountain biking!

If you are interested in going off road at all, I have to suggest a Gary Fisher.  They have perfect geometry for beginners (perfect geometry in general)!  I have a Tassajara that I just LOVE!  Its a hardtail (front suspension) and therefore reasonably priced.  If you are interested in any kind of off-roading, you can expect some mishaps that every beginner experiences.  My Tass has made me a much better rider and keeps those mishaps from happening too often.  However, I don't recommend clipless pedals until you have a pretty good ability on the bike.  If you go to MTBR.com the Tass recieves rave reviews.  You could probably pick one up for ~$700.  You can always upgrade components as you discover what you like/need. 

You honestly can't go wrong with Gary Fisher.

Gary Fisher does make a great ride BUT, it is not right for everyone. The "genesis geometry" uses a longer top tube and shorted chainstays to put the rider farther back over the rear axel. This is great for climbing. I had my heart set on a Tass until I took one out for a spin. It did not fit me near as well as the Trek counter part. Fishers geometry is great if you have a longer torso but if you are like me and don't fit in that boat, it might not be the best option. Test ride everything you can get your hands on to find something that will fit you best.
2006-06-21 12:34 PM

User image

I agree with that.  You have to get the bike that feels the best for you.  Bike fit is very important when learning how to manuever over obstacles.  Its also an important aspect in comfort as well.  We all like to spend hours and hours and hours on our bikes, but if you aren't comfortable you will NEVER like mountain biking.

However, I have very long legs (for my height) and I find that it is nearly impossible to endo (back tire comes over front tire - face meets the dirt - not fun) on my Tass.  That is the main beginner mishap I was referring to in my earlier post.  My husband face-planted countless times on his Scott before he learned how to ride downhill.  On a Tass, a beginner wouldn't have to think about keeping his/her weight over the back tire - its already done.  And don't get me started on the climbing capabilities...

2006-06-21 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Illinois
Just gotta give props out to my Old School Schwinn Homegrown. If you are really doing off-raod trail riding, then you most likely want a hardtail. But I still gotta say, go to your LBS first and see what they suggest for the type of riding you will be doing. You can easily get a quality bike for general purpose at <$500.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike Recommendations Rss Feed