General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me set my bike fitness up for next year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-31 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Help me set my bike fitness up for next year

My biggest single limiter is the bike.  Not surprising considering I'm fairly new to biking with only a year of riding (6 months of really riding) under my belt.  My HIM bike splits in the two that I've done have averaged approximately 2:45.  Two definite races for me next year are an early August HIM and an IM in November.  I'm sure there'll be some early season races but they will be C class events for me, the big picture is November.  

Currently in a marathon build and will be done with that mid January at which point I'm going to a heavy bike focus.  How would you set up bike training structure given that timeline and those goal races?  Jump into Jorge's plan in January after the Mary?  Something else first after the Mary and then Jorge's plan a 6-8 weeks later?  

Thanks for helping a newb out.

2012-10-31 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4477506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Help me set my bike fitness up for next year

I intended to do Jorge's plan after getting my trainer last fall.  However, I found that simply riding a good hard effort on the trainer for 45min 5 days a week (initially) was plenty tough without throwing any intervals in.  If your cycling base isn't built up too much yet you could see huge gains from just riding a lot over the winter.  Find some good TV shows and movies and DVR everything.  Don't allow yourself to watch any TV unless you're riding the trainer.

If you can handle the intervals then go for it; you'll get stronger i'm sure.  However, the steady hard-ish pace will absolutely build your aerobic and cycling-specific endurance base.

2012-10-31 9:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

To put up one idea, this has worked well.

How much time will you have after the marathon? Not everyone's definition of "bike focus" is quite the same. Could get some more variety in there as the link could be rather taxing mentally.

2012-10-31 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4477855

User image

I think Jorge's plan is a good start for most people.  But I'll doubt you'll be able to jump into it right after your marathon.  You'll likely need a couple of weeks to recover as those workouts are pretty intense.

2012-10-31 9:36 PM

User image

Elite
I made some great gains this year after tweeking my workouts from.the prior year. I went from a mediocre biker last year and earlier this year to top 10 percent bike splits in my last oly, and 2 sprints and I am confident my next him will show improvement.

What I did on the trainer was to mix up my workouts by not solely working high rpm ,raising LT but to do a lot of lower rpm higher resistance riding to develop more power and strength. I even Will raise it to the big ring and smallest gear in the back and come out of the saddle for 3-5 min intervals. Also at times I will do a 20 min interval at a hard gear 65-75 rpm.....have to be careful with this and not do it all the time due to the increased risk of injury but it really helped me this year. Don't forget the standard LT rides because they are needed!

In my opinion for people newer to the sport and without a biking background some emphasis on neuromuscular recruitment and overall leg strength needs to be developed. Working solely LT is not comprehensive.

I admit its my opinion but when I only followed the standard high rpm , short interval training rides I had the cardiovascular fitness but I still was slow because my leg musculature could not handle some of the high demands of rollers/ hills .

Again it may sound unorthodox but for me I have seen the improvements in my times. Especially on my last race.

Good luck
2012-10-31 9:38 PM

brigby1 - 2012-10-31 9:24 PM

How much time will you have after the marathon? Not everyone's definition of "bike focus" is quite the same. Could get some more variety in there as the link could be rather taxing mentally.

Man, I gotta say - I consider myself pretty tough in terms of HTFU, but 2 x 20 @ FTP is really, really hard. Demoralizingly hard for me, actually. It sounded like easy stuff, but it's so hard that I am far more willing to do a 2 hour ride at a lower effort than 2 x 20 at essentially all-out pace. That's some serious suffering. 

2012-10-31 10:25 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Simple, ride lots. 
2012-11-01 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4477869

Master
Northern IL
yazmaster - 2012-10-31 9:38 PM
brigby1 - 2012-10-31 9:24 PM

Man, I gotta say - I consider myself pretty tough in terms of HTFU, but 2 x 20 @ FTP is really, really hard. Demoralizingly hard for me, actually. It sounded like easy stuff, but it's so hard that I am far more willing to do a 2 hour ride at a lower effort than 2 x 20 at essentially all-out pace. That's some serious suffering. 

Yes, this actually has you going closer to 95% for 2 x 20. Still rather hard though. The 1 x 20 you beat FTP, going after 105%. They aren't kidding about the "you will want to be done". These also fit rather well into Sufferfest videos. Hell Hath No Fury, The Hunted, A Very Dark Place. AVDP is actually 5 x 4 min, but close enough. It's 20 min total of seriously hard work. You find out that "tunnel vision" is very real. Sometimes I'd switch in Revolver on the second day. 15 x 1 min.

I used their other videos, but didn't really go all in that often like on these. Typically going 90-95% on the work sections and 70-75% for the recover. And do 2-3 vids in a row. That's why I ask about time available. Another option is looking into sweet spot training. A little lower intensity, but longer work periods. The two Extra Shot videos worked well for this.

2012-11-01 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

The link above is a good place to start (and stay with forever)

2012-11-01 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
brigby1 - 2012-10-31 8:24 PM

Plenty of time after the mary.  Commuting ~20 miles each way 3 days a week to work comprised of a warm up and then hammering the rest of the way.  I can add a two or three 2+ hour rides during the week, fast mid length (40-60) mile group ride on Saturday and plenty of time on Sundays to try to hang on the wheel of some of my much faster friends.  

Also adding a trainer to the stable for times when necessary or beneficial.  

Edited by thebigb 2012-11-01 12:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me set my bike fitness up for next year Rss Feed