General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-10 3:46 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Nice job on the swim, lisa! Got my race distance swim done today too. Felt nice and solid. At each 1000yd mark I pictured myself nearing and rounding the buoy. Anyone else worried about overheating in our wetsuits with the water temps so warm?

2013-07-10 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I am going with my sleeveless to combat that.
2013-07-10 5:26 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am most likely NOT wearing a wetsuit. If the water is 70 or above, I will probably just wear my swimsuit. :-)
2013-07-10 7:27 PM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Water temps were 69 as of this morning. A couple days ago Vineman tweeted that the temps were in the mid 70s so they were letting some water out of the dam to bring the water temps down for the 1/2 going on this weekend.
2013-07-10 10:38 PM

User image

I tried a wetsuit in pretty warm temps last week.  I was definitely feeling over heated for the first 400m or so.  After that, I seemed to have cooled down since my body started acting normal again. I would like to use it but seeing how the river is so shallow, I won't feel too bad if they don't allow wetsuits.  I'll be joining the ranks with everyone else it seems and will be doing my last 3,500m strait swim. Not exactly 2.4 miles but good enough  This taper week sure doesn't feel like a taper yet.  
2013-07-11 9:44 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by BlastmanThis taper week sure doesn't feel like a taper yet.  

For real. 1.5hr run this morning doesn't feel like 'tapering' LOL!

2013-07-11 10:46 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by BlastmanThis taper week sure doesn't feel like a taper yet.  

For real. 1.5hr run this morning doesn't feel like 'tapering' LOL!

Yes, I have a 4 hr ride this weekend and a 2 hr run. During the week it has slightly decreased. Swims are the same until race week 3500 YDS per workout.
2013-07-12 12:16 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
I had some pretty good training sessions the last two Days. Nice run off the bike on Wednesday evening and a great swim tonight. Hownis everyone else coming along.

Gear is coming together. Just picked up a new bike helmet. Old one just didn't have enough vents in it and was rather hot. Picked up a Giro Savant. Am going with a running shirt for the run with short sleeves and a pair of white sun sleeves. If I burned in a half I can imagine what it will be like after a full. Have a great weekend everyone!
2013-07-12 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4479272

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
This morning I:
Realized I had left a container of yogurt in my car overnight (gratefully unopened)
Forgot my earrings at home
Left my work shirt & belt in the car
Got shampoo in my eye

BUT, I got in a 4000yd swim!
2013-07-12 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Those of you ordering the gps thing, So are you having your tracker shipped to your hotel? Will you call the hotel and let them know a package is getting sent there?
2013-07-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by swgtri

This morning I:
Realized I had left a container of yogurt in my car overnight (gratefully unopened)
Got shampoo in my eye

And at a speedy pace! Nice job.

2013-07-12 10:13 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by akrenik Those of you ordering the gps thing, So are you having your tracker shipped to your hotel? Will you call the hotel and let them know a package is getting sent there?

Since we're renting a house I am having it FedEx'd to the house ($$$ grr) - I don't trust I will have access to their USPS mail so didn't want to risk that. I emailed them and they said FedEx has always worked for rental homes, FedEx just leaves it in the door.

But the last time I rented one I was in a hotel and had them USPS mail it to the hotel - yes just called them and let them know to look for it and it was waiting for me at check-in!

2013-07-12 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Salem

Originally posted by akrenik Those of you ordering the gps thing, So are you having your tracker shipped to your hotel? Will you call the hotel and let them know a package is getting sent there?

Since we're renting a house I am having it FedEx'd to the house ($$$ grr) - I don't trust I will have access to their USPS mail so didn't want to risk that. I emailed them and they said FedEx has always worked for rental homes, FedEx just leaves it in the door.

But the last time I rented one I was in a hotel and had them USPS mail it to the hotel - yes just called them and let them know to look for it and it was waiting for me at check-in!

My understanding is that it arrives a couple days before the race date.
2013-07-12 10:26 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

My understanding is that it arrives a couple days before the race date.

Yup they target Thursday I think.

2013-07-13 12:10 AM

Hi folks... First timer on this forum and full vineman will be my first IM. It was interesting to read about your training on this thread. Thought it'd be nice to get to know some you as we will be battling it out together on the same course.

A bit about myself... I live in the bay area and have been doing Tris for several years, but this is my first IM. Quite frankly, I am scared and my goal is to just finish without crawling across the finish line or ending up in ER.

I have one last rehearsal this weekend and then taper. Hope everyone's training is going well, and wish y'all good luck.

-C
2013-07-13 12:17 AM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by amymengel

I am most likely NOT wearing a wetsuit. If the water is 70 or above, I will probably just wear my swimsuit. :-)

Amy,

Your pics are all over the front page banners. At least it looks like you.

2013-07-13 1:33 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
For those of you have completed an ironman how would you say your training amts. are this time compared to previous ones?
2013-07-13 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
14 days....oh gosh! I seem to be the queen of skipped workouts this week. What the heck?! My family is out of town so I have nothing to do but workout, but it seems to have the opposite effect. Doesn't help that I brought home a 6 week old puppy yesterday that is cute but kept me up all night.

C-welcome!
2013-07-13 1:59 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TriGuyBri For those of you have completed an ironman how would you say your training amts. are this time compared to previous ones?

Same for me. I'm actually following the exact plan (mostly) my coach wrote for me for my 2011 race.

2013-07-13 5:52 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

This morning I:
Got shampoo in my eye

Ha well at least you remember what's important in life: your training! Well..important for 2 more weeks.

Got my 4 hour bike ride knocked out today! First 2 hours it was perfect out! Light breeze and for once it was overcast! 2 hours into it though the sun popped out and the humidity spiked like crazy. Did great except I had to stop at 3:45 since my left big toe hurt like hell. I don't know what it is but my left toe hurts like crazy now after 3 hours of biking but is fine after I'm off the bike.

I did somewhat enjoy this ride (first 1/2 at least for the weather). 2 hours into it: "oh man...2 more hours! I can't do it"... 3 hours into it: "man if my car was here I'd give up now"... 5 minutes away from my car "wow! That's all the biking I have to do today? Freaking awesome!" I then did my 30 minute run after that and I managed to get 3.5 miles and I didn't stop once! First time ever after a long bike ride. Wish I could have done this previously and built on it but I'll take my tiny victory. Didn't wear HR for run. I felt like I was moving like a snail but after my GPS beeped at me, I saw that I was actually going at a good pace and I didn't have that insane walk urge for once.
2013-07-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by Blastman

This morning I:
Got shampoo in my eye

Ha well at least you remember what's important in life: your training! Well..important for 2 more weeks.

Got my 4 hour bike ride knocked out today! First 2 hours it was perfect out! Light breeze and for once it was overcast! 2 hours into it though the sun popped out and the humidity spiked like crazy. Did great except I had to stop at 3:45 since my left big toe hurt like hell. I don't know what it is but my left toe hurts like crazy now after 3 hours of biking but is fine after I'm off the bike.

I did somewhat enjoy this ride (first 1/2 at least for the weather). 2 hours into it: "oh man...2 more hours! I can't do it"... 3 hours into it: "man if my car was here I'd give up now"... 5 minutes away from my car "wow! That's all the biking I have to do today? Freaking awesome!" I then did my 30 minute run after that and I managed to get 3.5 miles and I didn't stop once! First time ever after a long bike ride. Wish I could have done this previously and built on it but I'll take my tiny victory. Didn't wear HR for run. I felt like I was moving like a snail but after my GPS beeped at me, I saw that I was actually going at a good pace and I didn't have that insane walk urge for once.

Isn't it funny the range our brain goes through?! Nice training day!

2013-07-13 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

14 days....oh gosh! I seem to be the queen of skipped workouts this week. What the heck?! My family is out of town so I have nothing to do but workout, but it seems to have the opposite effect. Doesn't help that I brought home a 6 week old puppy yesterday that is cute but kept me up all night.

C-welcome!
[/QUOTE

I seems to be much harder this week to get workouts in. Today I went to go sim and Mom-in-law calls and says she bought a wireless router and couldn't get it hooked up. Had to go over and fix it. Knew I had a bike ride to do so skipped the swim and will try to get tomorrow, or not. Did get a 3 hr bike on the trainer. Was hopping my new tires would come today. Ordered from Bike Nashbar. Need to get them on the rims and take them out for a couple rides.

Two hour run tomorrow and a 1.5 hour bike plus a swim. I don't know. : )
2013-07-14 6:31 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Guys, we made it to taper! 

7-hours of bike/run between yesterday and today have me super grateful that the long stuff is really behind me now. Time to relax. And start worrying about packing

2013-07-14 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Guys, we made it to taper! 

7-hours of bike/run between yesterday and today have me super grateful that the long stuff is really behind me now. Time to relax. And start worrying about packing

Haven't started that mess yet. My wife did buy me some ziplock bags.

Busy day today between swimming, running, painting, cleaning windows, etc. I am wondering what is coming next???
2013-07-15 12:50 AM

User image

New user

San Diego, CA
Long range forecast is calling for pure sunshine and a high of 87 on the 27th. Ouch. I will be happy if we can get something close to what they had today for the half. 87 and I may need an IV in the special needs bag!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29