Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-13 12:51 AM
in reply to: #4480155

User image

New user
Salisbury
Subject: RE: B2B vs IM
Yeah that was midnight, The people of Coeur D Alene Party all day and night and you are a rock star no matter what time you finish. The whole week was very cool, never could I have expected the warmth and love from thousands.

2012-11-26 9:10 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Sounds pretty awesome. Too bad CDA is just so darn far. 

B2B is so darn close and such a good race, but IM calls. Will have to wait until 2014, though.

2012-11-27 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4511014

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
So I have to back up 110% everything about IM CdA, and from a spectator's perspective. I have been in 70.3's and spectated for many more 70.3 and a few IM distances. Up until last year we had only covered the SetupEvents, FS Series, and Rev3 brands; this year my wife took the plung for IM CdA. Our entire family went with her as a support crew...EPIC!

So, let me add another element that may help to make it not seem that far…

While we have good trips to "the battleship", CDA turned into an EPIC vacation for our two boys (then 7 and 9). I can say that the family never was lost for something to do. There is Tubbs hill in town for a run/hike, there are bikes to rent and ride, there are short drives to some amazing trails, and there are great shops/restaurants/bars to visit. I had a blast sampling many of the Northwest’s specialty brews too! They even have the moose trail for kids to find all the moose in town. I say this even though both boys (not our IM race, thankfully!) got the stomach flu while we were there...and everyone had such a great time we all want to go back.

As for getting there, CdA is very respectable to get to, and you can use TriBike Transport to get most of your gear there for an affordable cost. We ended up renting a house right in town, nothing special but it was close to everything. I know many others who have also rented and been very happy. There are also a couple of affordable hotels, you have to remember this is their “lake resort” town for the area… so lots of good accommodation are available.

Then there is the race, the town and course are laid out in such a way that it's easy to see multiple segments of the race(swim, T1, bike laps, T2, and the run), and still have the family engaged in other activities. We saw my wife swim, T1, multiple times on the bike, T2, and then caught her 5 times on the run before waiting at the finish. Finally, that 11p to Midnight hour is EPIC. The best race finish/block party/outdoor festival I have been too. I'll tell you this, that race made me a believer in WTC/Ironman brand. I love Setup, but there is just no dening having a CROWD cheer "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN"... heck I can still tear up at the thoughts of the last girl finisihing in 2012!
It was so fantastic; we are going to do it again in 2013…

So Setup rocks, Beach 2 Battleship is their ultimate event, but WTC is the SuperBowl of IM distance
2012-11-28 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4512302

User image

Master
Charlotte

jlhoward - 2012-11-27 5:49 PM  So Setup rocks, Beach 2 Battleship is their ultimate event, but WTC is the SuperBowl of IM distance

^^^

That right there is a perfect summary and was my experience at IMFL.  Just as there are many many great marathons in the US, running Chicago or New York are a whole new level.  They aren't just a race, they are an epic event totally embraced by the cities.  Same with the WTC events, at least the ones I have done.

Now I have no idea about all IM events out there, but just the two I have done (Augusta 70.3 and IMFL), the races are much more "event" than just a race.

Also though, just because some races are huge epic productions, it doesn't always mean a better race.  It does though usually mean you have a good time regardless of your race results.  I had a marathon blow up in Chicago on one of their 80+ degree days.  Finished 25+ minutes over goal time. Didn't care. I had so much fun for 3 nights in Chitown (maybe too much fun) and the crowds along the course were insane and I loved every minute of it.  That race would have sucked balls if it wasn't for the atmosphere.

2012-11-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4512888

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
It will be very interesting to see how WTC does with Raleigh 70.3, as their first event in a place dominated by Setup and FSSERIES.
2012-11-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4513000

User image

Elite
N Carolina

louiskie - 2012-11-28 9:31 AM It will be very interesting to see how WTC does with Raleigh 70.3, as their first event in a place dominated by Setup and FSSERIES.

I think we all can expect a top quality event, so I don't expect any surprises in regards to "production".  And, the event sold out in 2 weeks so we know there's going to be a huge crowd of athletes.

Here's my question about this race....How is the event going to do long term?  I think the sellout was so quick because we have a large triathlon community in this state (and neighboring states).  But how many are going to be "one and done" with this particular race?  I'll admit, I probably fit that description myself.

I expect you will be able to make a comparison to IM Texas.  Quick sellout in the inaugural year (because so many Texas residents raced).  Then slower sellout in the 2nd year.  And even slower to fill in the 3rd year (IM Texas 2013 is still open at this point) and so on.

ETA:  Bold.

Edited by japarker24 2012-11-28 8:41 AM

2012-11-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4513021

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
japarker24 - 2012-11-28 9:40 AM

louiskie - 2012-11-28 9:31 AM It will be very interesting to see how WTC does with Raleigh 70.3, as their first event in a place dominated by Setup and FSSERIES.

I think we all can expect a top quality event, so I don't expect any surprises in regards to "production".  And, the event sold out in 2 weeks so we know there's going to be a huge crowd of athletes.

Here's my question about this race....How is the event going to do long term?  I think the sellout was so quick because we have a large triathlon community in this state (and neighboring states).  But how many are going to be "one and done" with this particular race?  I'll admit, I probably fit that description myself.

I expect you will be able to make a comparison to IM Texas.  Quick sellout in the inaugural year (because so many Texas residents raced).  Then slower sellout in the 2nd year.  And even slower to fill in the 3rd year (IM Texas 2013 is still open at this point) and so on.

ETA:  Bold.

I agree with you Alan. I signed up because a) it was here b) it was a WTC event "in town" and c) know tons of people who signed up so wanted to play too. Not sure if I would sign up again though. We'll see :-)

2012-11-28 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4513000

User image

Master
Charlotte

I think a better question is how Raleigh does WTC.  

I don't think production wise WTC does much different from Setup other than WTC has a much bigger merchandise tent. Where one of the differences lie is how the community supports them.  The streets are lined with people in Augusta/PCB...they are the ones that really make a race great. Will Raleigh support the race like other cities have?  It seems that most of the successful WTC races are in smaller towns/cities where they don't have a lot of big events to compete with.  You could bring the best athletes in the world out to a race in CLT and still not get 100 spectators that don't have a friend/family racing. 

Hopefully they can get NC State students involved somehow to bring in the party vibe.

2012-12-02 5:41 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury

I am going to disagree with the statement that from a production stand point Set Ups is close to a WTC race. Everything from the Jumbo Tron wide screen,road closures,grandstands Ironman TV all the way down to transition area's , bags and swag is much more professional. and presented on a grander scale. And you do pay more for it so it should be. 

You pose an interesting question on how the race will do in Raleigh. WTC usually operates on a 5 year rotating contract which also will have an out clause for WTC. So the chamber of commerce is committed. While the newness of the race contributed to a quick sellout this year, I also now know quite a few folks who got shut out and wish they would have got off the fence sooner. WTC will shut down a race quickly if it does not meet there standards NYC IM was one and done because of logistics and Utah lost there IM race this year because of turnout.

I think Raleigh will do well for the following reasons and I don't know Raleigh well as I live in Salisbury. Location right smack in the middle of Eagleman and Augusta in a very Tri friendly area and not a bad commute for anyone from Florida to NY for a long weekend. One friend of mine from NY is racing,then taking her kids who are out of school to our beautiful North Carolina beaches for a week vacation, this is a great idea for families and might catch on. Second for folks who have raced other events before but never a WTC race coming back to downtown Raleigh I am thinking Rock Star treatment and incredible finish like they have never experienced before, So word of mouth, how many of us have heard about a great race from our friends and signed up next year. B2B greatly improved it's status this way and now sells out. People at WTC are kicking themselves for not owning  this IM in Wilmington. The growth of the IM brand is booming.

The con to me is the weather, while I don't think early June to be much different then Augusta late September it could be...so if we have 90's and humid for 3 straight years it could spell trouble. Let's hope for nice weather and great crowd support because once we have have something like this in North Carolina we will want to keep it.

2012-12-02 5:47 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury
Oh and don't forget the Professional field, when people can watch and race with some of the same pro's they have seen on TV in Kona it's a thrill, I loved meeting and seeing on the course in CDA, Chris Lieto, Tim Odonnel, and Merideth Kessler to name a few.
2012-12-04 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4513172

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
bgraboski - 2012-11-28 10:53 AM

You could bring the best athletes in the world out to a race in CLT and still not get 100 spectators that don't have a friend/family racing. 

You definitely nailed this.  Worst spectator support city I've seen.  Raleigh definitely has a different vibe, so I'm hoping for the best with turnout for the 70.3 race.

Edited by Patrick E 2012-12-04 11:30 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B vs IM Rss Feed  

of 2