General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-on aero bars on a road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-21 3:12 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Clip-on aero bars on a road bike?
So as not to highjack this thread, I've copied out a post that seems to summarize the general consensus.

briderdt - 2006-06-21 9:19 AM

So you're thinking of drop bars on tri geometry? Why bother with tri geometry, of you're going to be riding with your hands on the brake hoods?

Or maybe you want brake levers on the aero bars instead?

All I can say is -- get over it. Drink the Kool-Aid. Immerse youself in what a tri-bike is -- a rocket made to go fast with you perched on it in the most aerodynamically efficient position you can maintain and produce good power in. You want the shifters out there so you can fine-tune while staying IN the aero position. And when you're reaching for the brakes, you're compromising your aerodynamics.

Drop bars on tri geometry = a waste of either one, or possibly both.

... But, it's still a good idea to put clip-on aero bars on a road bike, right?

I was at the LBS last night looking at clip-on bars. The owner just came back from a fitting course and suggested that I get re-fitted if I add aero bars. He said he'd give me all the measurements to set the bike up with or without the bars in case I want to do group rides or something. I understand that the frame is not designed for a tri position and I don't want to mess up a good thing trying to make it something it isn't. It's a decent road bike, less than a year old, and I like the way it fits now. I can stay in the drops for most of my long rides.

Also, unless I win a lottery, there's no tri bike coming for at least another year or two. So, are the clip-ons still generally recommended on a road bike? If it's such a compromise, what am I gaining by adding them?

2006-06-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: #461971

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Clip-on aero bars on a road bike?
Shortie clips are made to add to an otherwise road-ish gemoetry without having to re-vamp everything. Profile Jammers, Vision Mini's, and (to a lesser degree) the Oval A710's will do the job. The problem with adding them is that it's a compromise of full-on aerodynamics, and the arm pads aren't going to be at your elbows, but somewhere up farther, causing you to use your arms like a lever on the extensions. Still more aerodynamic than riding the hoods, or the drops. As for torso position, it wouldn't be much different than riding the drops, but you're closing in the arms a-la a downhill skier.
2006-06-21 3:39 PM
in reply to: #461971

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Clip-on aero bars on a road bike?
I put aero bars on my road bike and I'm glad I did. You do go faster while in them. I can normally push about 1 gear higher (10sp rear derailer) at the same cadence versus being on the drop handles. It also gives you another riding position so that you can move around a bit.

When I was getting fitted, the pro made an interesting point. You can't get perfectly fitted for both aero and normal. You can get one and be close on the other. But not great for both. So if you're on a road bike, I'd suggest getting that fiited best. Then make the best of the aero position.

I'll also add that being in aero on a road bike, you do miss having the shifters there. But 1 arm in aero and the other on the shifter is still faster than both arms out wide....

Edited by Ridgelake 2006-06-21 3:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-on aero bars on a road bike? Rss Feed