General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-27 7:19 PM
in reply to: miyutris

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

From my blog for tomorrow

Ironman musings......T minus 5 days: I have done this for many years now.  I was sitting in my now functioning tub Sunday and I had put on a bracelet I bought at my first Ironman Florida in 2006.  Its a green/blue clay thing that has a tiny swim-bike-run thing on it. That year we picked up my friend Christine at her house as she was coming with us to spectate and I bought one for her and KathyG as well who was also staying with us and was flying down for the race.  Christine is dead now.  Brain tumor.  She died in the summer of 2008.  She had planned on coming up in 2008 to sign up for 2009 but that didn't end up happening.  I looked at the bracelet and remembered her and my friend Terri who we lost to breast cancer in 2009.  She came to the race in 2008 and was so sick.  I have raced for so many people with cancer.  Both my parents that first year.  I probably started my Ironman journey early, but mostly I did because I wanted to raise funds for Moffitt Cancer Center where both my parents were treated.   My mom has been thru breast cancer and subsequently lymphoma.  My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2005.  His form of lung cancer is quite deadly with a 5 year chance of survival of only 3-5%.  Knock on wood he is still alive and cancer free now in 2013.  And God bless Moffitt Cancer Center.  My friends Joan, Susan, and now my best friend from med school Gale.  My coaches son who, at 13 months old, was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Its a strange journey.  To be honest I did my first in 2006 because I was afraid my dad would not survive to see me do it if I did not do it then.  Too many names, too many lives lost.  My racing is not just about me.  I mean I enjoy the fitness and the cool factor of doing ironman but its about more than that.  Its about the people who wanted to race but never got the chance.  Its about the people who never thought they could but did. Its about the journey not the destination and regaling in the fact that I am healthy enough to do this crazy sport even if I am dead slow.   Everyone comes to the start line with a different story and a different journey.  Please respect the athlete next to you and be happy you are able to do this crazy sport.  Don't freak out if your run time is slow or your bike is slow or its windy or rainy or whatever because in the grander scheme of life, lets face it, we are damn lucky to be able to toe the line regardless as to our results. 

2013-10-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4489246

User image

Indianapolis
Socks,

Thanks for sharing. It kind if puts everything in perspective.
2013-10-28 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

Yeah..getting the last minute crankiness..fatigue..panic ..lol..perspective right now is a really necessary thing for me. thanks.

2013-10-28 6:47 AM

New user

Lakeland, Virginia
I may have missed it in the thread, apologize if it ha already been covered -- What wheel set up are you guys using? Weather/wind *looks* like there should be no issues with a deep dish up front and disc in back, but is that asking for trouble with the wind direction/speed and wind off the water?
2013-10-28 7:16 AM
in reply to: j.murdock

User image

Rochester
I'm going 808 front and Super 9 rear. Bike is already shipped so no changing my mind now.
2013-10-28 7:16 AM

User image

Rochester
I'm going 808 front and Super 9 rear. Bike is already shipped so no changing my mind now.

2013-10-28 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
808 front with a disc cover on the back for me. should be just fine.
2013-10-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Originally posted by Socks

From my blog for tomorrow

Ironman musings......T minus 5 days: I have done this for many years now.  I was sitting in my now functioning tub Sunday and I had put on a bracelet I bought at my first Ironman Florida in 2006.  Its a green/blue clay thing that has a tiny swim-bike-run thing on it. That year we picked up my friend Christine at her house as she was coming with us to spectate and I bought one for her and KathyG as well who was also staying with us and was flying down for the race.  Christine is dead now.  Brain tumor.  She died in the summer of 2008.  She had planned on coming up in 2008 to sign up for 2009 but that didn't end up happening.  I looked at the bracelet and remembered her and my friend Terri who we lost to breast cancer in 2009.  She came to the race in 2008 and was so sick.  I have raced for so many people with cancer.  Both my parents that first year.  I probably started my Ironman journey early, but mostly I did because I wanted to raise funds for Moffitt Cancer Center where both my parents were treated.   My mom has been thru breast cancer and subsequently lymphoma.  My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2005.  His form of lung cancer is quite deadly with a 5 year chance of survival of only 3-5%.  Knock on wood he is still alive and cancer free now in 2013.  And God bless Moffitt Cancer Center.  My friends Joan, Susan, and now my best friend from med school Gale.  My coaches son who, at 13 months old, was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Its a strange journey.  To be honest I did my first in 2006 because I was afraid my dad would not survive to see me do it if I did not do it then.  Too many names, too many lives lost.  My racing is not just about me.  I mean I enjoy the fitness and the cool factor of doing ironman but its about more than that.  Its about the people who wanted to race but never got the chance.  Its about the people who never thought they could but did. Its about the journey not the destination and regaling in the fact that I am healthy enough to do this crazy sport even if I am dead slow.   Everyone comes to the start line with a different story and a different journey.  Please respect the athlete next to you and be happy you are able to do this crazy sport.  Don't freak out if your run time is slow or your bike is slow or its windy or rainy or whatever because in the grander scheme of life, lets face it, we are damn lucky to be able to toe the line regardless as to our results. 

Well stated, Socks!!
I feel very lucky to compete in this event as an Ironman newbie. Im not taking anything for granted. I lost a good friend to ALS, and my Step Dad last year. I have taken care of many cancer patients. Your post really puts things into perspective for me. Thank you.
2013-10-28 8:23 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Originally posted by KathyG

Who is excited that next week 7 days from now you will be an Ironman (for first time or for repeat) or those BOP you will be out there finishing up the end of your Mary!!!

I'm excited for all of you!

Hay is in the barn!

Im stoked Kathy!!!! After 2 years of knee issues. Im finally free to S/B/R, I have been training all year. I finally feel well rested during the glorious taper.
2013-10-28 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I'm using an H3 front and 900 disc rear. This being my first I was a little bummed to see via Facebook today that Mike Reilly isn't going to be there. Not going to ruin anything, just would have preferred his iconic voice at the finish.
2013-10-28 12:13 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Dear GodPlease help me make it thru the next few hours of work without killing a primary care docotor who has dumped yet another pt onto my schedule who doesn't need to be seen. Also please do not let my head explode and just get out of here and go have fun at my race. I have beena very good girl and you put me thru a lot this year. Thanks -Socks

2013-10-28 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I am planning on using 808's for both the front and the back, although I will have with me my shallower wheels in cast it is windier than forcasted. 

2013-10-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4885850

1080's tubular front and rear with just glued new Conti GP 4000 SP with stans sealant
2013-10-28 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4886389

User image

Master
808s front and rear.
2013-10-28 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
My 48cm P3 rolls on 650c wheels and I'll be using Hed Jet 60s front and rear. For tires, I use Conti GP4000s.

My wheel set-up certainly isn't aggressive and I STILL get blown around. Can't imagine what fun a disc would be!

I just read above that Mike Reilly won't be announcing. I didn't think that something like this would matter to me, but oddly enough, it does. Boo.
2013-10-28 3:03 PM

User image

Regular

Dear GodPlease help me make it thru the next few hours of work without killing a primary care docotor who has dumped yet another pt onto my schedule who doesn't need to be seen. Also please do not let my head explode and just get out of here and go have fun at my race. I have beena very good girl and you put me thru a lot this year. Thanks -Socks

Socks, you need a vacation. I hope you dont explode on anyone at work in the next 24hrs. Also thanks for the musings. Im going to race for my mom who is in the midst of a battle with esophageal cancer. Luckily Im staying with her race week, so Ill be able to check on her progress.

Ill be running zipp 808s on the course. I dont have a disk, and the 808s worked well the last time I raced there. Now I just have to figure out how many tubes / co2s to carry. I think ill carry 2 tubes, 2co2s and have a couple at bike special needs in case im having a very bad tire day.

2013-10-28 3:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
The RV is packed, the jeep is hooked up, the chow is in the reefer, and all my gear is stowed with exception of the bike. All I need to do is toss the bike in then get to bed early and hit the road for the drive at 0400. Unfortunately I have 30 bales of hay coming in tonight and that has to be stacked in the barn before I can hit the rack. I look forward to the week it will be a good week.

Socks, I’ve talked with you a couple of times during the line waiting or banquets over the years (you told me about the van fleet trail in Polk City and I have clocked hundreds of miles there since). – I’ll see you again this week I’m sure, leave all that work stuff where it belongs. I’m glad the ring organizer Kathy G will be out as well.

My tires are the ones that came with the bike and are mostly round it’s the engine that needs work on my bike.

Edited by aintaround 2013-10-28 4:16 PM
2013-10-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: shellabree

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by shellabree

My 48cm P3 rolls on 650c wheels and I'll be using Hed Jet 60s front and rear. For tires, I use Conti GP4000s.

My wheel set-up certainly isn't aggressive and I STILL get blown around. Can't imagine what fun a disc would be!

I just read above that Mike Reilly won't be announcing. I didn't think that something like this would matter to me, but oddly enough, it does. Boo.

I had the same reaction to reading about Mike on Facebook today
2013-10-28 4:44 PM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by hornjs
Originally posted by Socks Dear GodPlease help me make it thru the next few hours of work without killing a primary care docotor who has dumped yet another pt onto my schedule who doesn't need to be seen. Also please do not let my head explode and just get out of here and go have fun at my race. I have beena very good girl and you put me thru a lot this year. Thanks -Socks
Socks, you need a vacation. I hope you dont explode on anyone at work in the next 24hrs. Also thanks for the musings. Im going to race for my mom who is in the midst of a battle with esophageal cancer. Luckily Im staying with her race week, so Ill be able to check on her progress. Ill be running zipp 808s on the course. I dont have a disk, and the 808s worked well the last time I raced there. Now I just have to figure out how many tubes / co2s to carry. I think ill carry 2 tubes, 2co2s and have a couple at bike special needs in case im having a very bad tire day.

I do.  It didn't help today that a pt who was inappropriately scheduled with me threatened to commit suicide if I didn't give him and epidural RIGHT NOW because he was in such pain.  The fact I don't do epidurals and I was not going to pick up that skill because he was stomping his feet was lost on him.  Fortunately I walked down the hall talked with his PC and dumped him back on him  {PPPPFFffhhHHTTTTT

2013-10-28 4:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by j.murdock I may have missed it in the thread, apologize if it ha already been covered -- What wheel set up are you guys using? Weather/wind *looks* like there should be no issues with a deep dish up front and disc in back, but is that asking for trouble with the wind direction/speed and wind off the water?

Disc being harder to control is actually the opposite of reality.  It makes the bike easier to control despite the urban legend nonsense that gets promulgated.

The main determining factor for control is the front wheel and not the rear wheel. The disc stabilizes the bike in the wind. It counters the wind steer on the front of the bike. If the wind increases, it pushes the bike toward the wind, while the front gets pushed away, and vice versa. Think of a weather vane.  First, you have forward motion on a bike which is different than if you were just sitting still.  To use the weather vane analogy further: a weather vane has an aerodynamic shape (an arrow) in which the front end is obviously thinner than the thick back end of the weather vane (analogous to running a smaller dished front wheel like a 40 or 60mm to the full disc rear wheel).  These aerodynamics allow the front to point into the wind.  The shallower the front, the easier the aerodynamics are to get it to point into the wind.  So a real deep front wheel (like a Zipp 1080 or Zipp 808 or Hed Jet 9 or arguably a Hed H3) is harder to control than say a Zipp 404 or Hed Jet 6 because it's harder to "pivot" from an aerodynamics standpoint.  Therefore, the rider has to compensate for the "extra" pivoting... which is why a deeper front wheel is harder to control.

Personally, I think they ban discs at Kona or Cozumel not because of the disc but because of the stupid choices they know athletes will make when it comes to the depth of the front wheel.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2013-10-28 4:48 PM
2013-10-28 4:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

A word of advice for everyone should you choose to take it.  They have been predicting rain in the days leading up to the race and currently there is a prediction of an 80% chance on Friday.  I strongly suggest investing a few dollars in large zip lock bags....the 2 gallon ones.  You things will be on the ground in the transition bags but if you put everything inside the ziplocks inside the transition bags then your things won't get soaking wet plus it helps organize your transition bag

2013-10-28 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

A word of advice for everyone should you choose to take it.  They have been predicting rain in the days leading up to the race and currently there is a prediction of an 80% chance on Friday.  I strongly suggest investing a few dollars in large zip lock bags....the 2 gallon ones.  You things will be on the ground in the transition bags but if you put everything inside the ziplocks inside the transition bags then your things won't get soaking wet plus it helps organize your transition bag

Or since we have access to the bags on race morning one could just bring everything on race morning.  That's my plan.  I'll drop the bags off on Friday with some stuff in them but my shoes and socks won't go in there until Saturday morning.

2013-10-28 5:54 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Or since we have access to the bags on race morning one could just bring everything on race morning.  That's my plan.  I'll drop the bags off on Friday with some stuff in them but my shoes and socks won't go in there until Saturday morning.

you could do that too

2013-10-28 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Those 2 gallon ziplocks are awesome for T1 and T2 bags as well as SN bags.

I will pack my transition bags with like items in ziplocks. Some is stuff I know I will use with like items in a ziplock, another ziplock may have just in case items that I don't even open if I don't need to which makes transition easier. I write my name and race number on each bag in case they get mixed up, they know it is mine.

Only loose things in my T1 or T2 bag will be helmet and my bike shoes.

I normally have pockets in my tri tops and will make one bag with pocket stuff and sub bags for left and right pocket. I usually get a helper I change tent since I'm a slow swimmer and they will glady stuff things in one pocket and this bag in other. Or I can do it as I go toward my bike.

2013-10-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
MA

Any apps that you would recommend to track you athletes come race day?

This will be my first IM spectating with smart phone. The normal WTC website sucks for athlete tracking on my laptop.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41