General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese Carbon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-10 8:37 AM

User image

Regular
Napoleon
Subject: Chinese Carbon

I have been seeing a lot of these wheelsets advertised on the internet and can't believe these things pass the same regulations as here in the states.

Anyone ever hear any stories on this stuff?

2012-11-10 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4492826

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: Chinese Carbon
what regulations? 
2012-11-10 11:26 AM

User image

It's the same wheels just without the rip off premium for the brand.
2012-11-10 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4492922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dan-L - 2012-11-10 9:26 AM

It's the same wheels just without the rip off premium for the brand.

Really?!?! You think those chinese wheels are built to the same standards as an ENVE wheel? If they were, why don't they make their own brand with a 5 year warranty? How about design? Did they hire an F1 cfd designer to look at aerodynamics? I highly doubt it. Now does that mean everyone needs to spend $3k+ on a wheelset? No... But to say they are the same wheel is stupid. The closest low cost wheel solution to the zipp/enve/hed wheels is Flo which makes a great product and has created a brand... The majority of others are simply not there. Reynolds, Boyd, Williams would be but there also but again they have a brand that you can follow up with.
2012-11-10 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
Most all wheels are outsourced to Taiwanese companies (as are carbon bikes) and their manufacturing facilities are in China. The name you buy is the guarantee on the product more than the product itself. Not sure where envy wheels are made but i bet outsourced to a taiwanese company.
2012-11-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4492960

Veteran
They didn't put the time and the research in. They just ripped off the mold and making them in the same factories just like they are ripping off ipadsetc. manufacturers have no rights in regard to intellectual property in China. The biggest difference n quality is probably the hub.That being said, a lot of people around here and another group have had pretty good experience with them.

2012-11-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4492960

User image

PeteDin206 - 2012-11-10 6:33 PM
Dan-L - 2012-11-10 9:26 AM It's the same wheels just without the rip off premium for the brand.
Really?!?! You think those chinese wheels are built to the same standards as an ENVE wheel? If they were, why don't they make their own brand with a 5 year warranty? How about design? Did they hire an F1 cfd designer to look at aerodynamics? I highly doubt it. Now does that mean everyone needs to spend $3k+ on a wheelset? No... But to say they are the same wheel is stupid. The closest low cost wheel solution to the zipp/enve/hed wheels is Flo which makes a great product and has created a brand... The majority of others are simply not there. Reynolds, Boyd, Williams would be but there also but again they have a brand that you can follow up with.

Sounds like you're an advertisers dream.  I don't mind paying for product but the brand premium is ridiculous.  I spent time in two Chinese factories this year, in Beijing and Shanghai and the only difference between the stuff I saw manufactured was the stickers on the product.

But there's tremendous paranoia between the Chinese and the Americans right now.  Both countries are massively suspicious and mistrusting of each other.  And with good reason.

The Chinese model isn't built on R&D, it's built on replication.  And they're dammed good at it. Which isn't  a good thing.

Personally I'd rather pay a company in-between.  One that's ethical but doesn't take liberties with the premium it charges for its brand.  I'll let you know if I find one because I haven't yet.

2012-11-10 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4493034

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Interesting sides to think about...

the only problem with a no-name carbon frame or wheels is there isn't any recourse if the frame or wheels have cracks or has a structural problem. sure it's cheap, but seems to be a gamble.

I work in the water sports industry, and we have kites, standup paddle boards made in china.

we've run into fakes and sub-standard work over the years. it's hard to keep control on those companies, although overall the problems have been small scale.  our guys watch over the production process and make changes where necessary to guarantee quality and performance.

so my worry would be the "generic" bike parts may or may not conform to the originals they are copying, unless it's really off the same production line.

who knows really ? if you feel like experimenting..

Edited by metafizx 2012-11-10 2:01 PM
2012-11-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4493021

User image

Extreme Veteran
JBD - 2012-11-10 11:30 AM

Most all wheels are outsourced to Taiwanese companies (as are carbon bikes) and their manufacturing facilities are in China. The name you buy is the guarantee on the product more than the product itself. Not sure where envy wheels are made but i bet outsourced to a taiwanese company.

Wrong... ENVE wheels are American built in Utah. They go through extensive testing and are known for making a superior product. Zipp has also done extensive R&D in their composites that most Chinese products are not. Sure they look the same and 8-9 out of 10 are going to be perfect, but in my last HIM the 1 mile decent (45+mph speeds) with a big curve at the bottom is the last place I want a wheel to have an issue. I'll agree that Zipp is a marketing machine, much like Apple, but they do put extensive research into their products also. I went ENVE because from everything I've read they are bomb proof and stand behind their product (again a 5 year warranty). Show me a Chinese manufacturer that has a 5 year warranty and I'll show you a company that will change their name in 18-24 months negating the whole thing. I've done business in China and know how it works.

ENVE:
http://www.enve.com/technology.aspx
2012-11-10 2:08 PM

User image

Definitely with you on the warranty issue, if you have a problem then you're done.  Chinese manufacturers pay lip service to customer service but I've yet to find one that takes it seriously enough.  Huge increase in labour costs over the next few years will make the option far less economical although and no other country in the world can take their place.

But in most cases the quality issue isn't there.  The production line is either exactly the same or the whole manufacturing 'process' has been sold to a different factory who can turn out the same product without and still only charge 1/3rd of the branded price because they've 'cheated' on the whole r&d section.

In tough times people just can't / won't pay the premium to support their own economy and China isn't going to be enforcing it's ironic stringent intellectual property laws any time soon. Especially for a US firm.

Governments could help but placing a massive import tax on Chinese manufactured goods but in the short term the effect of that would be everything increasing in price and no-one's going to go for that right now.

2012-11-10 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
So what's the difference if you have a 5 year warranty if I can buy 4-5 sets of Chinese wheel sets for your 1?

2012-11-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4493082

User image

Extreme Veteran

RVachon - 2012-11-10 2:29 PM So what's the difference if you have a 5 year warranty if I can buy 4-5 sets of Chinese wheel sets for your 1?

How's your dental insurance?

Edit to add: plenty of people have good experiences with non-name brand wheels.  I"m not saying they're not safe, but if you think you're going to have to replace wheels every year or so, one of those failures could be catastrophic.

Edited by FuryUs 2012-11-10 2:33 PM
2012-11-10 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

I've had a set of cheap Chinese carbon wheels for close to 2 years without any issues. I even had them checked out at my bike shop before using them because I had a 30-day return policy...I've also ridden name brand carbon wheels (Zipps)  that cost 4x what I spent on mine. Wanna know what difference I found??

I could afford the Chinese knock-offs.

ETA: Oh, yeah...The other thing I found was that the matte carbon wheels without stickers look oh-so-sexy on my matte carbon frame. (Which is not a no-name brand, but was ironically sent from China)

Edited by JasenGuy 2012-11-10 3:08 PM
2012-11-10 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Deal with Chinese manufactured hi-tech products in commercial aviation as my day job. While the products I deal with are different, the people, factories, and mind-set is not. If you're not ON TOP of the processes constantly, even when they're documented and part of a very stringent certification program, the factory will start cutting corners. These "opan source mold" frames and wheels, sure, are made with the same molds as the high-end brands, but it's the factory workers doind so on "after hours" time with NO oversight. QC is non-existent. Doesn't mean the products will break, that they're faulty, or dangerous, but the chances of them being so are much higher. Buyer beware.
2012-11-10 5:32 PM

Veteran
What's the deal with Planet X wheels? I saw a 60mm set of carbon wheels for 499 on their web page yesterday. Seems way too good to be true. Is the quality there? Am I missing something?
2012-11-10 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Planet X wheels are rebranded chinese carbon wheels. The difference between buying the planet X wheel and direct from the manufacturer wheels is that you can go to planet X if there is a problem. Trying to deal with customer service issues with the direct wheels is notoriously difficult if any kind of customer service actually exists.

2012-11-11 7:25 AM

User image

Regular
Napoleon

Good info

keep it coming

2012-11-11 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Haha... reading this thread makes me wonder if I should pick up a couple sets of wheels this year while still in Taiwan.  Since I could be moving back to Canada next year.
2012-11-11 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Thanks to Uncle Sam, my dental plan is rock solid. Since I save so much money with free dental, I'll go ahead and save some by buying the no-name Chinese wheels, too. I'd spring for named brand stuff if it were about 150% the cost of the nameless stuff, but I refuse to pay $2200+ for wheels when some can be had for <$500.
2012-11-11 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran

there are about 15 guys i ride with that have dogma knockoff frames and love them.  one guy had an issue with a seatpost clamp and it was replaced no problem.  i can get an S5 frame, fork, bottle cages, headset, 1 piece stem-bar combo shipped to my house for $860.  while i would feel better with the real deal, not sure its $3000 better if i end up going that direction  

2012-11-11 11:17 AM

Gotta admit - I've been following this whole cheap chinese ebay wheels phenomenon on the forums, both here, ST, and several bike forums quite closely. 

While I wholeheartedly agree with the 'buyer beware' situation where these chinese companies usually have pretty much no customer guarantees after a very brief period, which places you at risk of having no replacement for bad manufacturiing, or potentially more importantly, a company to sue of you suffer a catastrophic injury from it, I haven't seen any real situations posted over several years about such failures. 

Sure, there's the occasional post about how someone may have received a damaged item, but those are far outweighed by the number of brand-name damaged items I've seen. Same with carbon frames from China, which seem to have held up remarkably well.

The reality may be such that despite the lesser guarantees/warrantees of carbon wheels/frames, the tolerance of the engineering far exceeds what cyclists subject their equipment to. Else we'd see more than rare failures. 

I still don't own a set of race wheels, but I'd probably be ok with racing on such equipment given what I've seen anecdotally (but over several years). For sure there hasn't been a rash of equipment failures, but again, it only takes one if it's you.

2012-11-11 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4493676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

SpeedKnight - 2012-11-11 9:46 AM Thanks to Uncle Sam, my dental plan is rock solid. Since I save so much money with free dental, I'll go ahead and save some by buying the no-name Chinese wheels, too.

Yeah, I definitely see the appeal of the prices of Chinese stuff.

But, speaking of uncle sam, I don't love the politics of the "freedom-loving" Chinese govt., and I find it sad that every time we buy stuff from them, we're actually funding their delightful political system, one where if you sneeze the wrong way you get 20 years in prison.

2012-11-12 2:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Again the problem with these Chinese wheel makers is nothing that protects me, the rider. Not to say aren't capable of making a fast rim or that they may have a dramatic failure. The problem becomes a massive issue if that minor failure takes place in the wrong moments. I've seen and read of a few major failures of wheels on months on non critical times for that lead to blowouts or structural issues. If these failures happened on long technical descents, your dental plan will be the last of your concerns.

For my own peace of mind I grabbed a set of the ENVE ses 6.7 because it put comfort in the fact that are know for building awesome wheels that they stand behind. Next on the list is a new tribike to go with them. I'll likely try and snag a clear out 2013 DA2 or a first sale 2014 da3 depending on pricing and build and color. Then I'll be glad I have a sick bike that inspires me to push myself higher. I'm also looking as the shiv and BMCtt01 if either fit me.
2012-11-12 4:11 AM
in reply to: #4494412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
DarkSpeedWorks - 2012-11-11 12:41 PM

Yeah, I definitely see the appeal of the prices of Chinese stuff.

But, speaking of uncle sam, I don't love the politics of the "freedom-loving" Chinese govt., and I find it sad that every time we buy stuff from them, we're actually funding their delightful political system, one where if you sneeze the wrong way you get 20 years in prison.

I feel politics and politicians have destroyed enough economy.  I leave both out of mine as much as I can.  Supporting myself in this hobby is hard enough without paying 440% higher prices for a set of wheels.  Sure, there's the option of just not having the wheels, but surely this same concept spills over else where. 
If I just randomly stopped having anything to do with Chinese made goods, I'd wouldn't own much of anything anymore.

PeteDin206 - 2012-11-12 3:09 AM

For my own peace of mind I grabbed a set of the ENVE ses 6.7 because it put comfort in the fact that are know for building awesome wheels that they stand behind.

I understand where you come from.  My main thing here is that peace of mind, for me, shouldn't come with a 440% higher price tag. 
I own a 1995 VW GTi.  Not the safest car on the road.  I could get something safer, perhaps a volvo that costs about 400% more.  I'll pass. 
I assure you that by way of my career path, I am at far more danger of losing my life than if I spend $500 on Chinese made, non-branded carbon fiber wheels. 

2012-11-12 5:44 AM
in reply to: #4494412

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario

PeteDin206 - 2012-11-12 3:09 AM Again the problem with these Chinese wheel makers is nothing that protects me, the rider. Not to say aren't capable of making a fast rim or that they may have a dramatic failure. The problem becomes a massive issue if that minor failure takes place in the wrong moments. I've seen and read of a few major failures of wheels on months on non critical times for that lead to blowouts or structural issues. If these failures happened on long technical descents, your dental plan will be the last of your concerns. For my own peace of mind I grabbed a set of the ENVE ses 6.7 because it put comfort in the fact that are know for building awesome wheels that they stand behind. Next on the list is a new tribike to go with them. I'll likely try and snag a clear out 2013 DA2 or a first sale 2014 da3 depending on pricing and build and color. Then I'll be glad I have a sick bike that inspires me to push myself higher. I'm also looking as the shiv and BMCtt01 if either fit me.

Of course, you're assuming that your overpriced branded wheels will never have such a failure.  Just because it's branded doesn't mean it's built any better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese Carbon Rss Feed  

of 2