General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do? Sprint Tri or Olympic Aqua Velo?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-13 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: What to do? Sprint Tri or Olympic Aqua Velo??

I have been out of commission for over a year..suffer from plantar fasciitis and shin splints which both still flare up at times.  I have completed several sprint distance races as well as participated as part of relay teams.  Unfortunately, the last time I raced was July 2011 and even that was just a sprint swim as part of a relay. After sitting out and volunteering at the NJ State last year,  I am ready to get back to training and racing...well more like just completing...but regardless, now is the time for me to register for the race (CGI NJ State Tri).

I was planning to do the sprint distance all by myself this year  - no relay. I love swimming and enjoy biking.  I seriously struggle with the run and usually end up more walking/shuffling and taking close to an hour to do the 5K.  Makes for a long, hot race and normally puts me out on the course all alone and at the very back of the pack.  But, it is a distance race that I have done before and know that I could do it again.  My plan for this year was to treat it like it was my first race again and just enjoy it but not sure I can really do that.  Having done it before I probably will end up still comparing it to the first 2 times I did the entire race.

I learned today that CGI is offering a Aqua Velo for the Olympic Distance race and I am intrigued. I did a sprint Aqua Velo a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it,especially the not having to run part.  

Here's my dilemma.   I know that I can finish a sprint distance triathlon with the proper training. While I have never competed at the Olympic distance, when I was seriously training I was able to swim 1500m+  do it at a decent pace.  I don't doubt that I can get there again.

I am pretty sure that time on the bike (on the trainer in the winter and outside once the weather gets nice) will get me to the 26 miles I need for the bike distance.    I guess the distance seems so far compared to the sprint distances which is what makes me hesitate.  Do I go with what I know and pretend it is my first race again or do I challenge myself with a new distance and a completely different race?   On the upside, if I don't have to focus on the run training, I could spend more time in the pool and on the bike and won't aggravate the shins and heels all that much.

What do I do?????  Any words of wisdom or advice?  Anyone know if the custom plans on here would allow me to do a aquavelo training plan?  If not,  any suggestions where I could look?

Thanks and really looking forward to getting back to training for a race!

2012-11-13 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4497092

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: What to do? Sprint Tri or Olympic Aqua Velo??

If you train consistently you will be able to do an Oly distance Aquavelo.

Big question do you want to do an Oly AB? Do you have time and desire to train for it?

When dealing with PF and shin splints, did you continue to swim and bike?  How often did you do each, either each week or in the course of a month.

You may want to take a bike focused Oly training plan and switch runs to bike or swims.

2012-11-13 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4497194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks Kathy.  Yes, I do have the desire to train for it since I have always been more committed to working out when committed to a race.

I have trained through the Plantar Fasciitis with swimming and biking since I have had that for close to 12 years now and for the most part does not cause me any problems.  The shins were so bad that I was on total bed rest for almost 3 months - so word to the wise for anyone suffering - take it seriously and make sure it heals before toughing it out.  I was this close to stress fractures in both shins.  Did physical therapy but have not done any formal training in over a year.  I do step aerobics on occasion,  ride my bike but recreational or on the trainer and do ARC trainer.

So,  I guess you could say that I am starting at square one but know that once I register, I am all in.  The swimming endurance comes back quickly and always has for me.  I just have to build up on the bike and know that will take the most effort but I don't mind riding on the trainer in the winter time.

Sounds like I am talking myself into the Oly AB and love your signature of Dream Big.  Looks like I am making my way there.

2012-11-13 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4497092

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think you are trying to talk yourself into the OLY AV and that tells me that is what is in your heart to do.  Sounds like the training needed to complete it is well within your capabilities and you should do just fine.

New challenges are always a great motivator.  A plan with strong swim/bike focus would be great and if are able to run without further injury I'd try to casually do that with maybe some run/walk progression.  The beauty of that is that there is no pressure to get to a certain point with your run.  You can just do what you are comfortable with and enjoy it.

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do? Sprint Tri or Olympic Aqua Velo?? Rss Feed