General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitioned to Newtons--No going back now?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-16 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Transitioned to Newtons--No going back now??

Started doing tri's 3 years ago. Was a big time heel striker. Dealt with  shin splints, hip pain, and eventually a tibial stress fractre from trying to run thru the pain of a shin splint episode. I have since then lost over 60 lbs and have transitioned over to a midfoot/forefoot running positon. I have always used Asic Gel Nimbus running shoes because of the extra cushion it provided. I think I have seriously bought the last 4 or 5 series of the Nimbus. I have now switched over to Newton Sir Isaac runners. After a few weeks of getting use to them and switching between the Newtons and the Asic shoes, I solely now use the Newtons.

This week I figured the Asics are now just sitting around, so I figured I would cycle them into my runs, to basically use them before they go thru my usual recycle phase. (My running shoes go from daily running shoes to everyday use shoes to yardwork/lawnmowing shoes, haha!)

After not using the Asics for 3 to 4 weeks or so they felt obviously much more cushiony then the Newtons, yet heavier as well.

My question for those Newton running shoe users is: Once you have successfully transitioned over to using a minimalist type of running such as Newtons, ect., have you ever gone back to a more cushioned shoe type? Unless I start having prblems with the minimalist type runner, Is there any reason to?

2012-11-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4500798

Subject: RE: Transitioned to Newtons--No going back now??

I wear Newton Gravity Trainers and would never switch back or use both types of shoe. I switched to Newtons because my previous Mizuno's were determined to be overbuilt for me forcing undo stress into my knees from too much support. It's really appearent when you try and twist the shoe. The Mizuno's had so much stability (plastic) built in that you can't even twist the shoe or change its shape. The Newtons are the complete oppostite.

My old running shoes also become my everyday walkers

2012-11-16 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I was on the whole minimalist kick for the past 18 months or so, first kinvaras then the NB minimus, which of course make the Newtons look like Hokas, sometimes barefoot (although not often), I run in the NB MT 110 sometimes, also the adizero feather light, just got my first pair Ecco, the BIOM As, which are a nice shoe and close to the ground, lightish.

Anyways, I eventially found I max out in the minimus, the NB MT100, and even the kinvaras and adizero after about 150 minutes or running, or like 8 or 9 hours a week. It is just too much on my bones.

So now I got into the Hokas, got the Mufate and the Tarmac. They still have a minimial drop but lots of cushion, and not too too heavy, think I will pick up a pair of the Bondi Speed.

I still run in all my shoes, although, like I say, with my high mileage I am tending to look more to the Hokas and the (horrors of horrors) my stable of old NB 1046s these days.
2012-11-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4501157

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

BigDH - 2012-11-16 9:41 AM ...I think I will pick up a pair of the Bondi Speed. I still run in all my shoes, although, like I say, with my high mileage I am tending to look more to the Hokas and the (horrors of horrors) my stable of old NB 1046s these days.

love my Bondi B's !

not so much the Newtons...which collect dust ..

2012-11-16 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4501168

User image

Champion
Calgary
metafizx - 2012-11-16 1:44 PM

BigDH - 2012-11-16 9:41 AM ...I think I will pick up a pair of the Bondi Speed. I still run in all my shoes, although, like I say, with my high mileage I am tending to look more to the Hokas and the (horrors of horrors) my stable of old NB 1046s these days.

love my Bondi B's !

not so much the Newtons...which collect dust ..

which should start a club.

Hoka is the new Newton.
2012-11-16 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have just started with the Sir Isaacs as well. They're not really a minimalist shoe, but I have enjoyed mine. I still rotate some brooks adrenaline gts 12 in the mix. I am still getting used to the feeling of something under ball of my foot with the newtons. I have already been a mid to forefoot striker anyway. I have also run in vibram a and they are true minimalist. I really like and believe in the Newton concept.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitioned to Newtons--No going back now?? Rss Feed