General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for finding the right bike shop Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-19 10:24 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Tips for finding the right bike shop
It seems a bit hard to narrowing my choices of tri bikes, as I shop for the best bike for me. I understand that my own proportions might not make me a candidate for certain bikes, that makes sense, but getting objective advice and direction seems a bit hard.

I have yet to find a shop that can just look at me or take quick measurements to rule in or rule out brands of bike. Some want me to commit $ toward a fitting first.

My favorite quote came on a recent visit to a new (large) bike shop:

"We can usually make most bikes work for most people, but there are some brands that will not work for some."

Ok thanks for that great advice. That really helped.

How do I avoid being steered toward a bike that they are simply trying to move from inventory?

How do I evaluate the ability of a shop to do a fit?

If I like a certain bike and it has had great reviews, can i just buy it and buy my fit later?

If after some road time a bike does not work for me, is it possible to ask for a new fit or even a new bike? Or should I ask for a certain amount of road testing up front?

any advice appreciated

2012-11-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4503374

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Tips for finding the right bike shop

It's a tough situation.  Best to ask around, locally.  Talk to the guys in your local bike and/or tri club.

Look at it from the bike shop's perspective.  If they spend an hour with you going over fitting etc. and you then take your business elsewhere, they have lost a lot of time and money.  The margins at bike shops are thin, so they have to figure a way to keep the lights on.

That's why many shops charge up-front for a fit.

Best strategy is figure out what works best for you and  your needs.

2012-11-19 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
x2 ask local triathletes and cyclists whom they use/recommend. Once you have a list of a few shops, treat it like a job interview there first time you're there. You need to get a good feeling about them. Ask yourself if you would hire them? If yes, then there you go.
2012-11-19 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Two words: Educate yourself.

The more knowledge about fit and position you own the better equipped you are to evaluate a fitter's advice.

Read the articles on triathlon bike fit. Do your due dilligence. Tell your fitter you don't want to be stuck with whatever he has the most of. Tell him or her you want what fits you best. Whe a good fitter understands multisport fitting and positioning and you do too both of you can tell.

There are a lot of great fitters out there. There are also a lot of well intentioned fitters who just kind of "wing it" and need to push some bikes. It is relatively easy to tell the difference if you own the knowledge about the basics of triathlon fit and position.

Do the homework. Own the knowledge. Be acountable for it. It's worth it.

2012-11-19 10:35 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Usually knowing someone that has had experience helps.  For example, I know a guy who lives about 40 minutes from me, who has completed 2 IMs in a very respectable time, and has been doing triathlons for almost 20 years.  He didn't push me to go to a particular LBS but provided me the names of 3 or 4 that he had checked in with before, gave me some objective feedback, and then had me go and ask some questions.

The biggest thing was looking at getting fitted by an experienced person (who was quite knowledgable and took the time to do the job properly), then the bike came second due to the fitters experience, knowledge, and willing to take the time to listen.  The fitter did not push a bike, but, because of his patience, knowledge, and customer service, I was convinced to purchase a bike at the shop he worked at.

The Trek sales rep that I met wanted to sell me a carbon bike right off the bat without discussing anything else, because he heard the word "carbon".  Due to his willingness to really not work with me but more interested in selling the bike first, I was less impressed.

Just my opinion.

2012-11-19 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
It's hard, even for someone (like me) who has a little experience. I took my bike for a tune-up to a new shop that seemed to be really good. THey're really nice there, and they seem to know their stuff, but they messed up the adjustments on my bike and charged me for work that I'm not sure I actually needed.

Best to get ask around and get some word of mouth advice from local cycling/tri clubs. And regarding bike fit, try to do as much research as you can.

But I agree with the poster above. It's so easy to buy online now that I don't blame a shop for not wanting to suggest a brand of bike unless they get a little bit of a committment on your part. The part about being able to fit most people on most bikes is basically true.

2012-11-19 1:17 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Thanks.

My frustration is it feels like either (a) it is a very very involved process to even venture the slightest guess as to style of TT bike might work for a rider or (b) matching a bike to a person is a very closely guarded trade secret. (or maybe it doesn't matter, if I like the bike, a good fitter can make it fit?)

I realize its apples and oranges, but I go into a decent running store, they look at the wear in your existing foot wear, they ask you to walk up and down the store, and then they ask you to run up and back, and in 3 minutes they can at least suggest a handful of shoes that will likely work for you, and ones that probably won't. No commitment, no worries if you want to leave and go buy on-line. I wish shopping for a bike was like this.
2012-11-19 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It's not really a close guarded secret, but it is very important. Yes, you can make adjustments to a bike, but you should strive to be as close as possible which minimizes the compromises you will otherwise have to live with. Small changes makes a big difference. The "problem" with tri bike fit is really that you need to find the perfect balance between aerodynamics, efficiency and comfort, all based upon YOU. There's a big difference between bike fit and bike positioning btw. The latter is taking an existing bike and making it work for you, and unless the bike is close to a perfect fit, you will start to have to accept compromises. Some may not be that bad, whereas if you start to push the envelop, you will have to make compromises to either comfort, efficiency or aerodynamics, or most of the time, all 3. Bike fitting on the other hand is before the fact, which allows you to get the geometric data of the "perfect bike" and then you can shop for something as close as possible to it.
2012-11-19 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I started with two bits of information:

1. I dig Cervelo's and I know that they fit a wide variety of body sizes/shapes

2. Look for a F.I.S.T. certified fitter

I got lucky in that the bike shop nearest to me is not only a Cervelo dealer, but also the only certified F.I.S.T. fitter in my region.

2012-11-19 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4503724

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

JohnP_NY - 2012-11-19 7:17 PM Thanks. My frustration is it feels like either (a) it is a very very involved process to even venture the slightest guess as to style of TT bike might work for a rider or (b) matching a bike to a person is a very closely guarded trade secret. (or maybe it doesn't matter, if I like the bike, a good fitter can make it fit?)

Its sort of a little of A and B.

A) It is a very very involved process to get a very good fitting bike.  You can get a guess at a fit or rule some things out from measuring yourself and/or using online calculators.  You can find out that, for example you're more torso than legs you would be better off with a long and low bike like a cervelo or felt rather than a short and tall bike like a cannondale.

The stack/reach database is your friend

http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach.html

The problem is when you need to pick between a Cervelo P2 or P3 (they have different geometries) or pick between a 54 and a 56.  "Best guess" fitting may not be accurate enough for this.  As was mentioned you could end up sacrificing comfort, efficiency and aerodynamics.

B)  Not so much a trade secret as a skill.  As such those who have trained more/have more experience will be better at it that those who dont and can charge a premium.  I can give you a free bike fitting, but it will be worth exactly how much you paid for it.

2012-11-19 4:31 PM

User image

Pro

I dunno'.  I walked into Trisports last year with the same question.  Knowledgeable gal spent about 10 min with me taking my inseam measurement, my height, arm length, maybe torso (I forget), scribbled the numbers down, put them in her calculator, and said I needed a bike with a top tub measurement of around 50-52cm and pointed me towards the Cervelo, QRCD0.1 and Felt.

I had a different experience at my 'high end' roadie shop.  the only (reasonably priced) TT bike they sold was the Cannondale Slice.  They didn't have one for me to sit on, but they assured me that if I ordered one through them they'd make it fit me.  They fit everyone to it and never had a problem.  Note: the slice is at the far end of the fit spectrum for what I needed.  I knew this, and knew that they'd need to make up 5 cm.  No problem. Push the seat back, add a longer stem and you're good to go.  I practically got in an argument with them over the issue.

Meanwhile- (after two fitting sessions at Trisports) My Felt fits me beautifully. 

2012-11-19 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Things I looked for when looking for a bike shop to buy a tri bike was 1. shop that caters to triathletes and 2. carries a wide range of tri bikes.  If you go to a shop that carries 1 or 2 different brands they will tell you they can make one of there bikes fit you.  Although if you go to a shop that carries 5 or more different brands they will have a bike that fits you.

The bike shop I ended up buying from took my measurements for free and then showed me the different brands they had that fitted me best.  They carried Cervelo, Cannondale, Look, BMC, Trek, and Scott so they had bikes that fit a wide variety of body types. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for finding the right bike shop Rss Feed