General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frame Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-21 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Frame Question

So this is a “What would you do” type of question. I have a pretty high end Parlee frameset. While I was riding at a cycling studio this weekend someone slipped and fell, in the process of falling he brought down two Computrainer head units and the stand that they were attached to as well as himself into the top tube of my bike. I originally thought that the bike was scratched and not really that big of a deal. After further examination of the bike, there appears to be pretty substantial crack in the top tube under the clear coat. The nickel tap test tells there is something wrong. My LBS is sending the frame back to Parlee to have them look at it and make the call.

My question is this: There are no “minor” frame failures when it comes to a carbon fiber frameset and with the proximity of the cracks to the head tube, should I just total the bike out? I would hate to be in the situation where I am barreling down a hill at 40+ and hearing a snap and have that brief moment where I am holding the front end of my bike and I see in slow motion the rest of the frame start to hit the pavement. Further, say Parlee gives it their OK. Would you treat a carbon frame like a bike helmet. One and done? I hate to give up on it, but I think my health and life are worth a lot more than a frame.

2012-11-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4506040

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Frame Question
jhouse4 - 2012-11-21 9:52 AM

So this is a “What would you do” type of question. I have a pretty high end Parlee frameset. While I was riding at a cycling studio this weekend someone slipped and fell, in the process of falling he brought down two Computrainer head units and the stand that they were attached to as well as himself into the top tube of my bike. I originally thought that the bike was scratched and not really that big of a deal. After further examination of the bike, there appears to be pretty substantial crack in the top tube under the clear coat. The nickel tap test tells there is something wrong. My LBS is sending the frame back to Parlee to have them look at it and make the call.

My question is this: There are no “minor” frame failures when it comes to a carbon fiber frameset and with the proximity of the cracks to the head tube, should I just total the bike out? I would hate to be in the situation where I am barreling down a hill at 40+ and hearing a snap and have that brief moment where I am holding the front end of my bike and I see in slow motion the rest of the frame start to hit the pavement. Further, say Parlee gives it their OK. Would you treat a carbon frame like a bike helmet. One and done? I hate to give up on it, but I think my health and life are worth a lot more than a frame.

Several guys on the bike team have had their carbon frames repaired with great success and a very reasonable price over the season.  One top tube was completely broken and the repair job looks great.  Another on a chain stay that was broken in half.  There is a local guy in Elkhorn, WI that is doing the repairs  

Hit me back in a PM if you are interested and I will get you some information.  Don't want to leave somebody's email on this public forum.  

2012-11-21 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Thanks! I will PM you. I talked to the big 2 frame repair shops already and they said they would not touch it because of the location and most things involving the head tube their liability insurance would not cover them.
2012-11-25 7:26 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
If Parlee says it's ok, then I would take their word for it. If they say its questionable, then I would get a new Parlee.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frame Question Rss Feed