General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-11-10 6:18 AM
in reply to: GDTRFB

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: What to have for IMAZ on raceday. Did I leave anything out?
You forgot: have an amazing day, race your plan, adapt to adversity, and smile at the finish!

2013-11-10 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
Hat/Visor for the run?
2013-11-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: Panda_Jack

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by Panda_Jack

Hat/Visor for the run?
Def visor!
2013-11-10 4:52 PM

User image

New user
Saw a bike pump on your list. Are people bringing these, borrowing these, standing in line for bike techs? Any worries about pumping the night before or am I risking a flat in the afternoon heat on Saturday? Also, what PSI is everyone running?

2013-11-10 7:44 PM
in reply to: TriManGA

User image

I am bringing a pump... I want to use my equipment. will be running 120 in my tires and with latex will be down by morning a bit... so ill pump in the morning. If i was running butyl tubes id pump them up and leave'em be
2013-11-10 8:28 PM
in reply to: TriManGA

User image

New user

Kansas City, MO
The athlete's guide does say that you cannot put a bike pump in your gear bag, so if you bring one you need to have a family/friend take it for you. I won't be bringing one and hoping to bum the morning of since I'll be riding latex.

2013-11-10 8:54 PM
in reply to: calquist

User image

Yeah have family grabbing mine and taking it back to the car in the am. i am sure there will be a bunch down there.
2013-11-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Well, it's race week, just thought I would say it since we can!!!!

Edited by todds 2013-11-11 7:03 AM
2013-11-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: todds

User image

insane that it is here..... i started a count down app on my phone from the day i signed up.... never seemed like it would get under 200... now it 6
2013-11-11 8:36 AM
in reply to: calquist

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

Same here!

2013-11-11 11:41 AM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
Originally posted by Dino019

Originally posted by devilfan02

I read somewhere that Gu Roctane was NOT provided on-course at IMFL last weekend. They claimed "supply & demand" issues which resulted in only regular Gu being offered on-course. I'm assuming this will unfortunately be the case at IMAZ as well... Not the end of the world but I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane so it kinda sucks.

Pretty quiet around here which is hopefully a good sign. For what it's worth, the weather has been perfect out here and the 10-day forecast looks great. Fingers crossed...

GU was out of Roctane for a few weeks......every single flavor. I don't understand how that happened!! They have three Roctane flavors back in stock. I sent them a message, asking about Roctane on course at IMAZ. I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll hear back today. I was going to live off the course provided Roctane for the run.

Dino - Did IM ever email you back about the Roctane?

2013-11-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by devilfan02 I read somewhere that Gu Roctane was NOT provided on-course at IMFL last weekend. They claimed "supply & demand" issues which resulted in only regular Gu being offered on-course. I'm assuming this will unfortunately be the case at IMAZ as well... Not the end of the world but I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane so it kinda sucks. Pretty quiet around here which is hopefully a good sign. For what it's worth, the weather has been perfect out here and the 10-day forecast looks great. Fingers crossed...
GU was out of Roctane for a few weeks......every single flavor. I don't understand how that happened!! They have three Roctane flavors back in stock. I sent them a message, asking about Roctane on course at IMAZ. I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll hear back today. I was going to live off the course provided Roctane for the run.

Scheels Sporting goods had several flavors of Roctane available on the shelf.  I picked up a couple for race day.

2013-11-11 11:52 AM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Did my last "long" brick workout yesterday - one loop of the IMAZ course and a short run after. While on the Beeline, I road up on an accident scene where there was a dead body on the southbound lanes. Creepy... It was just south of Gilbert Rd. Didn't appear to be a cyclist.

While I was getting ready to take off for my ride, the IM trucks pulled in and they started building IM Village. They nearly had the expo tent completely built by the time I got back two hours later. Crazy

Last comment on the wind as I'm sure people are sick of my commentary. I started my ride yesterday at 8:10am which is roughly when we'll all start the bike leg at IMAZ. I didn't plan this but I'm happy I did to see what the elements are like (I usually ride super early when it's very calm). It wasn't cold at all, probably 65 degrees, and there was no wind in Tempe. Granted, we'll be wet/cold after the swim but I still don't think I'll wear arm warmers if the weather is similar on Sunday.

I didn't notice any wind until going under the 202 Fwy on McKellips. It was literally like someone turned on a fan when I came out of that underpass. Was a 10-12 MPH sustained wind from that point on until you return back to Tempe 25 miles later. Just nothing out there to block the wind.
2013-11-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by devilfan02 I read somewhere that Gu Roctane was NOT provided on-course at IMFL last weekend. They claimed "supply & demand" issues which resulted in only regular Gu being offered on-course. I'm assuming this will unfortunately be the case at IMAZ as well... Not the end of the world but I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane so it kinda sucks. Pretty quiet around here which is hopefully a good sign. For what it's worth, the weather has been perfect out here and the 10-day forecast looks great. Fingers crossed...

Scheels Sporting goods had several flavors of Roctane available on the shelf.  I picked up a couple for race day.

I have some and will carry on raceday if I have to. Was hoping they would have Roctane on the course so we don't have to lug it around.
2013-11-11 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

I read somewhere that Gu Roctane was NOT provided on-course at IMFL last weekend. They claimed "supply & demand" issues which resulted in only regular Gu being offered on-course. I'm assuming this will unfortunately be the case at IMAZ as well... Not the end of the world but I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane so it kinda sucks.

Pretty quiet around here which is hopefully a good sign. For what it's worth, the weather has been perfect out here and the 10-day forecast looks great. Fingers crossed...

Funny you should ask. They just got back to me about 10min ago. I was told there will be 2 flavors of Roctane on course Sunday......Cherry Lime & Blueberry Pomegranate.
2013-11-11 2:47 PM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

Funny you should ask. They just got back to me about 10min ago. I was told there will be 2 flavors of Roctane on course Sunday......Cherry Lime & Blueberry Pomegranate.

Awesome, thx!

2013-11-11 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

In case you were wondering my iphone shows a high of just 76 on raceday with winds out of the south at a very light 7mph.

I am really really glad my iphone weather.com app is always spot on 7 days out. We can all relax, it is going to be a perfect day!
2013-11-11 6:28 PM
in reply to: jls42

User image

Reflective gear. Can I use the reflective strips they sell at local sport shops? Also do I need to have glow stick or a light for the run? Like is it mandatory?
2013-11-12 12:36 AM
in reply to: blackorcutt

Great to see the RSVPs!  Here's an updated list of pro's coming to the event-  (still working on a few more!)  

Matt Chrabot

Linsey Corbin

Victor Del Corral

Lewis Elliot

Pedro Gomes

Tine Holst

Jozsef Major

Ian Mikelson

Nicholas Munoz

Sarah Piampiano

Matty Reed

Bryan Rhodes

Michelle Vesterby

Trevor Wurtele

Eimear Mullan

Weather looks great, we're as excited to cheer as you guys/gals are  to race!  And don't forget to pick up last minute needs this week- just mention you saw us on social media and snag an extra 15% gear for the race (most items, some restrictions apply - new bike and wheel sets are a no-go for example...)

2013-11-12 4:44 AM

Originally posted by todds

Hat/Visor for the run?
Def visor!

Not for the follically challenged. There is no shade out there.
2013-11-12 6:07 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by SeeVee

Hat/Visor for the run?
Def visor!

That is correct!

2013-11-12 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida

Hat/Visor for the run?
Def visor!

That is correct!

That terrible moment when you realize you need sunscreen on the top of your head as well......
2013-11-12 8:39 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Hat/Visor for the run?
Def visor!

That is correct!

That terrible moment when you realize you need sunscreen on the top of your head as well......
Ouch! I'm taping a small can to my stem for the 1/2 point of the bike, I feel that should get me through the remainder of the day...Gonna do a good saturation before leaving my room and get some on the way out of the change tent.
2013-11-12 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Originally posted by GDTRFB

What do I need for raceday?

Two tubes, CO2, a tire boot, pump, multi-tool etc. for the bike (should I bring an extra tire?)

I have no idea what to put in the special needs bags, other than some extra food, a pair of socks, maybe a shirt.

What else?

Changing an actual tire on the course is not going to happen. If you ruin a tire, only the Timex bike scooters can really help you. As far as tubes go, assuming you are using clinchers, I always throw an extra tube and CO2 into my SN bag. If I get to mile 60 with no issues, I leave them in SN and move along. However, if I were to get a flat or 2 prior to mile 60, the spares in SN would go with me for the rest of the ride.

Run SN bags can be different - if the temps cool off, you could throw in a sweatshirt or jacket, and perhaps a change of socks (if it happens to rain).

If you have 'special' food needs or wants and the stuff is too bulky, SN bags are the perfect 'locker' until you need the stuff.
2013-11-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: blackorcutt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Originally posted by blackorcutt

Reflective gear. Can I use the reflective strips they sell at local sport shops? Also do I need to have glow stick or a light for the run? Like is it mandatory?

WTC does not specifically enforce the refelctive requirements as stated in the athlete guides. I have run past sundown the last 2 years and did not have any special reflective gear, glow sticks, or anything with me.

It is really your own call at this point. If you feel safer and more comfortable with the extra reflective gear, go with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 30