General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2012-12-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4509327

User image

Platte City
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread

Name: Paul

What is your Ironman resume? IAZ will be the first, did 2 70.3's in 2012

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona? Fiance (wife by the time of race) will be doing it too, and wanted an easier bike course.  AZ it is.

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? 1.  Finish.  2.  I might have a shot at sub 10 if I can go injury free... but really, see #1.

What are you most looking forward to? All the fun training opportunities between now and then.  Masters swims, group rides, and those wonderful long runs in the midwest snowstorms.

Veterans, any advice you can give?  Not a veteran by any means...

Happy training everyone!

2012-12-13 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4532884

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

CarolinaLaw - 2012-12-12 1:59 PM Kenrick, How's the parking situation at IMAZ? I'll be staying south of the event site and hope that I won't have any problems getting myself and my wife there. Are there many parking lots nearby? Park at the university? Any info from you or anyone would be appreciated. Thanks! Tommy

US Airways headquarters is right next to Tempe Beach Park.  They have a large parking structure that should be fine for athletes getting to the venue early in the morning.  I went and watched some finishers this year and was able to find a spot in the same parking structure at 6pm.  I'm signed up for IMAZ'13 and plan on parking there race morning.

If not there, there's plenty of parking options around campus.  It just comes down to how far of a walk you want the morning of the race.  I would recommend driving around campus (primarily the streets directly east and west of Mill Ave) the day or two before the race to find a backup plan in case the parking structure is somehow full.  I know there's a public lot right next to the Z Tejas (just west of Mill Ave) which would be a good fall back plan.

Edited by devilfan02 2012-12-13 4:57 PM
2012-12-14 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4534455

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
devilfan02 - 2012-12-13 5:54 PM

CarolinaLaw - 2012-12-12 1:59 PM Kenrick, How's the parking situation at IMAZ? I'll be staying south of the event site and hope that I won't have any problems getting myself and my wife there. Are there many parking lots nearby? Park at the university? Any info from you or anyone would be appreciated. Thanks! Tommy

US Airways headquarters is right next to Tempe Beach Park.  They have a large parking structure that should be fine for athletes getting to the venue early in the morning.  I went and watched some finishers this year and was able to find a spot in the same parking structure at 6pm.  I'm signed up for IMAZ'13 and plan on parking there race morning.

If not there, there's plenty of parking options around campus.  It just comes down to how far of a walk you want the morning of the race.  I would recommend driving around campus (primarily the streets directly east and west of Mill Ave) the day or two before the race to find a backup plan in case the parking structure is somehow full.  I know there's a public lot right next to the Z Tejas (just west of Mill Ave) which would be a good fall back plan.

Thanks for the intel. Just making sure I wasn't consigning the Missus to her own marathon of walking to the race site.
2012-12-14 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4534914

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
CarolinaLaw - 2012-12-14 4:10 AM
devilfan02 - 2012-12-13 5:54 PM

Thanks for the intel. Just making sure I wasn't consigning the Missus to her own marathon of walking to the race site.
No problem. As an IM rookie I can't offer any race tips, but I'm more than willing to provide any feedback about the PHX/Tempe area. I went to ASU and live 5 miles from TTL.
2012-12-14 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Name: Joey

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first IM.  I completed my first HIM this year (SOMA same venue as IMAZ) and it was a huge reality check that you can't miss half the training and get by...  It hurt big time!

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona? When I decided I would tackle this amazing feat this was the venue I wanted to do.  Also my older brother lives there.  I currently reside in northern Detroit Area. 

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? Biggest goal is to finish.  I want to train to the fullest extent to enjoy the day and want to do this again.  After, heck during, SOMA I was really second guessing myself!  Stay healthy in 2013 while building up to IMAZ.  

What are you most looking forward to? Hearing those words "Joey Johnson you are an Ironman" and having those memories for the rest of my life.  Getting back in the best shape of my life and proving I can do this. 

2012-12-17 9:31 AM

New user

I am Chris Mabie. I did Muncie 70.3 in 2011 with a time of 6 hrs 2 min. and the run hurt a lot so I took a year off of anything over a sprint!  I turn 50 in April and this was on my bucket list and I am looking forward to getting back into shape. IMAZ will be my first full IM.   I volunteered at Texas in 2011 and thought it was impossible. But as I volunteered at Arizona and cheered on my friend for IMAZ 2012, I finally felt that I could reach my goal with a lot of hard work.  MY goal is to finish strong with a smile on my face and hear Mike Reilly say "Christina Mabie you are an IRONMAN!" My second goal would be to go under 15 and IF everything goes perfect, to finish under 14. 

I am already doing strength training, running short distances, spin and yoga to gear up for training in the spring. I just pray that I will stay healthy and keep balance in my life as family will always come first.

Look forward to all the tips, suggestions, and friendships

2012-12-17 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
SE
The group is growing nicely!
2012-12-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4537834

User image

New user

Name: Ryan

What is your Ironman resume? I'm making the jump into full IM territory here. I've got 2 HIMs under my belt at Augusta 70.3 and Gulf Coast 70.3. Took this past race season to do mostly Olympics, so I've definitely got some training to do to get back into distance shape!

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona? The race is always a fan-favorite and the flat bike doesn't hurt. We volunteered this year and the venue was incredible. The upside of a 3-loop bike is plenty of sighting for family and friends to cheer you on; downside is a lot of racers on a small course and plenty of opportunity for wrecks (we heard some bad stories). Overall the weather and energy in Tempe couldn't have been better.

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? I'd like to finish ahead of my girlfriend, who is also doing the race. I think she has other plans  Reasonable goal time would be 13, would love to get under 12 if I can stay healthy and build some power on the bike.

What are you most looking forward to? All-you-can-drink coca-cola. Hey, I'm an Atlanta guy.

Edited by TriManGA 2012-12-17 3:10 PM
2012-12-19 12:23 PM

User image

New user

Name: Jeff

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first full distance IM

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona? Flat on the bike and run.  Good for spectators.  

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? #1 Finish, #2 Finish, #3 see #1

What are you most looking forward to? FINISHING!!   

Veterans, any advice you can give? I'm worried about nutrition during the IM .... any advice, pointers, lessons learned would be GREATLY appreciated.

2012-12-20 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
The 2013 participant list is up! I know, we still have 331 days til race time, but being on the list makes it a bit more real.
2012-12-23 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

Name: Jason

What is your Ironman resume? IMSG 2010, IMTX 2011

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona? Me and my crew of 3 choose IMAZ for 2013 after a year off.

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? Show up - Solid swim, solid bike, and jog most of the run - Enjoy the day!

What are you most looking forward to? Training hard and losing the 40 pounds that I put on since IMTX!  I hope to show up on race day and look like I belong with the fast guys, even though they will kill me on the run! 

Veterans, any advice you can give?  Train hard, thank those that support you through it all, Plan for everything, and look forward to raceday with the peace of mind that your training will carry you through no matter what you encounter. 

2013-01-03 4:13 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Question - my brother lives in Surprise AZ (across town) and I'm planning on staying with him.  Is this too far from the venue??  It's about 30 minutes away.  I would love to stay right in Tempe, but already will be bleed dry by all the other expenses.  I'm already on thin ice with my wife for the race fees alone  I'm pretty sure I can make it work, just wanted to see what experience folks thought. 

Thanks,

Joey

2013-01-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4560700

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Joeyj1974 - 2013-01-03 4:13 PM

Question - my brother lives in Surprise AZ (across town) and I'm planning on staying with him.  Is this too far from the venue??  It's about 30 minutes away.  I would love to stay right in Tempe, but already will be bleed dry by all the other expenses.  I'm already on thin ice with my wife for the race fees alone  I'm pretty sure I can make it work, just wanted to see what experience folks thought. 

Thanks,

Joey

I don't think that will be a problem Joey, I was originally going to stay with my brother in law in Mesa last year, until he moved back to Iowa a few months before the race.

This year I was lucky to get a ride from a volunteer and left @445 from my hotel. It was earlier than I wanted to leave, but it was that or walk 35-40 minutes.

It was super easy to get there with no trafic at that hour and parking is easy. I had plenty of time to sit around and just chill. I'm OCD as can be, but with almost everything being required to be done they day before via bike check in and transition bags there really isn't much to do other than show up, make sure your bike is still there, put bottles on it and put your wetsuit on. I'd say you could get to transition NLT 6 and have time to do what you have to do. I read one race report the guy didn't get there till 630.

2013-01-04 1:32 PM

I think Surprise is a little more than 30 minutes to the venue, but you'll be fine.  On race day you'll have to plan to leave the house early, but there won't be any traffic on a Sunday morning at o'dark thirty! 
2013-01-04 11:11 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

Name: Alex

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first 140.6

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona? It is close to my homebase (LA), and i like course.

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? Getting out there and doing my best. Hopefully in 12 hours or less, but i will have to go by what's up that day.

What are you most looking forward to: being there with my family and showing my kids that being an (older) athlete is awesome.
2013-01-05 10:00 PM

Name:  Kenny Clayton

What is your Ironman resume? None... first timer!

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona?  Best starter Ironman race. My Sis lives in Tempe.

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? It is January 5, 2013. I weigh 395. I was at 400 on Jan !. Already on my way. 20 weeks to Tempe triathlon in May. Goal is to get down 100 pounds by that race. 

What are you most looking forward to? Hearing "Kenny Clayton, you are an Ironman" and doing the race with my Son.

Veterans, any advice you can give?

2013-01-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4564128

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

What a goal Kenny! 

I can't wait to see you on race day below 300LBS!  Keep up the great work and you will have two amazing feats accomplished in 2013.  This is your year.

Joey

2013-01-07 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Good for you Kenny!! I have added you to my list of heroes. You are embarked on a journey that can change your life. Keep up the great work and we will see you in November.
2013-01-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4564128

User image

Regular
United States
Kenny24 - 2013-01-05 10:00 PM

Why did you choose Ironman Arizona?  Best starter Ironman race. My Sis lives in Tempe.

What are you goals for IMAZ 2013? It is January 5, 2013. I weigh 395. I was at 400 on Jan !. Already on my way. 20 weeks to Tempe triathlon in May. Goal is to get down 100 pounds by that race. 

What are you most looking forward to? Hearing "Kenny Clayton, you are an Ironman" and doing the race with my Son.

Awesome, Kenny! I am looking forward to watching your progress here as you train your way to being an Ironman. 2013 is going to be one hell of a journey for you... It will be tough, but, it will be sooo worth it in the end!

2013-01-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4568129

User image

Veteran
Denver
bencoy - 2013-01-08 10:54 AM
Kenny24 - 2013-01-05 10:00 PM

Awesome, Kenny! I am looking forward to watching your progress here as you train your way to being an Ironman. 2013 is going to be one hell of a journey for you... It will be tough, but, it will be sooo worth it in the end!

x2

Some days will be discouraging. this sounds cheesy, but take it one day at a time. Before you know it race day will be right in front of you.

Keep us posted on your progress.

2013-01-15 3:55 PM

User image

Elite
SE

100 lbs! hopefully you will get recognized by Mike Reilly on the biggest loser portion of the pre-event athlete dinner!

hope y'all are training well. still no running here with the foot. trying to heal it up. may have to go super easy on any races in the spring to not further damage.

how's the injury profiles everyone? tell me i am not alone.

2013-01-15 5:02 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Out of curiosity, when is everyone starting their training for IMAZ?  This will be my first IM so I'm interested in hearing when everyone's gettin goin.
2013-01-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4580063

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

I am going to be sticking with this plan - http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm

Going to get cranking in August or late July after taking a breather from the wildflower and MAYBE the SD rock'n'roll marathon in June.

2013-01-15 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4579961

User image

Regular
United States
phatknot - 2013-01-15 3:55 PM

100 lbs! hopefully you will get recognized by Mike Reilly on the biggest loser portion of the pre-event athlete dinner!

hope y'all are training well. still no running here with the foot. trying to heal it up. may have to go super easy on any races in the spring to not further damage.

Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of an injury as well. Left achillies has has me sidelined from running for about 2.5 weeks now. First time dealing with something I can't just fix right away with the right rolling/stretching/etc. Definitely frustrating, but at this point, I know I will be chomping at the bit by the time I get back to 100% and I won't be taking any training day for granted.At least I can still get on the bike and in the pool...
2013-01-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4580403

User image

Veteran
Denver
bencoy - 2013-01-15 8:43 PM
phatknot - 2013-01-15 3:55 PM

Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of an injury as well. Left achillies has has me sidelined from running for about 2.5 weeks now. First time dealing with something I can't just fix right away with the right rolling/stretching/etc. Definitely frustrating, but at this point, I know I will be chomping at the bit by the time I get back to 100% and I won't be taking any training day for granted.At least I can still get on the bike and in the pool...

I took December off completely to get rested  & healed up from some minor nagging aches. On New Year's Day I woke up with a bad sinus cold. Took about 10 days to get rid of. Then my nine month old started with the vomiting & diarhea last Thurs, which led to me catching a version of what he had. So that pretty much kept me in bed through Saturday. Spent Sunday & Monday rehydrating & getting food back in my system.  I think the little guy is finally getting better, so I'm hoping to get to 24hr tomorrow morning for some pool time. Thursday I'll be back at work, so I can hit the treadmill. Friday I'll slap the bike on the trainer while the kids are napping. Saturday, back in the pool. And Sunday, treadmill at work again.  Those are my plans through Sunday.  I need this consistancy in a bad way mentally & physically....I need to get out of this funk that's had a hold on me so far this year

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 30