General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-25 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: Riding in the rain
Does anyone have any thoughts on riding in the rain or on wet surfaces? Today is a swim/bike day for me and it is raining cats and dogs here in southern MD. I am just now starting to feel a little more confident on the bike after a 16 haiatus and I am not terribly confident in my ability to handle a wet road yet. I may run today instead and save the ride for tomorrow. Does anyone here ride routinely in wet weather? I guess if you live in Seattle, you probably have no choice!

Thanks

Edited by susanp 2006-06-25 8:03 AM

2006-06-25 8:29 AM
in reply to: #464860

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: RE: Riding in the rain
My only experience thus far is getting caught in a downpour for about 5 miles a month ago, and another 3 miles home on wet pavement. I'm a novice on the bike, but I think handled it ok (except for being really nervous when traffic passed). Oh, and in my first sprint ever the roads were wet from rain early in the morning, but little if any standing water. So, for me, riding on wet roads, no big deal except slowing down to turn and being more careful. That said, I don't think I would choose to ride in actual rain or standing water yet. I'll be watching this thread with you to see what more experienced cyclists have to say.
2006-06-25 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Visibility is reduced in the rain, both for you and for the motorists.  The other thing is that wet pavement tends to be more slippery (especially the painted lines) so you'll probably need to slow down around corners and such.

That said, if you're prepared, riding in the rain can be cool, but if you're not sure about your handling skills right now, I'd probably pass.

2006-06-25 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Providing it is warm I really enjoy riding in the rain. Need to make sure you don't brake too hard and pay more attention for slippery patches on the road surface. I'm lucky in that I normally bike at a local park so motor traffic is less than on the highway.
2006-06-25 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
I rode in the rain yesterday afternoon. I agree that it was pretty enjoyable. I went for a 30 mile ride and the last 10 miles was in light rain to heavy downpour conditions. It was about 85 degrees out so it just felt great.

As for handeling. Just slow down a little bit, watch your cornering, don't take turns at top speed and give your breaks a few taps before you really need to apply the brunt of your breaking pressure. It will help dry up the contact area a bit.

Have fun. Riding and running in the rain is great and feels nice too, especially when it's hot.
2006-06-25 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I rode in the rain a couple of weeks ago and it was actually quite fun.
I did however have my first "I can't get outta my pedals" fall since I thought my brakes wouldn't work so well on wet tires. WRONG! They stopped on a dime and over I went! Actually, I was quite relieved, all my biking friends kept teasing me about when was I gonna fall!
I admit to feeling like an a$$ though when I started questioning people about what to do with your bike when it gets wet (dry it off is all I got). I am avoiding my LBS now because I think I may have reached my dumb question quota!

2006-06-25 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Just allow yourself more time to stop and take the corners slowly. Be careful of painted lines and also metal drain covers as these become very slippery.

As long as your careful riding in the rain can be fun. I much prefer it to riding in strong winds.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in the rain Rss Feed