General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Training for First Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-25 11:22 AM

Subject: Starting Training for First Triathlon
I decided to start training for my first triathlon. I'm a little apprehensive about it merely because the race is short notice. The race is August 6. I'm in the Army so I run a good deal every week, and I like to do a little mountain biking on the weekends. But I've never trained to bike or swim in a race environment. It's a 400m OW swim, 10mi bike, and 5k run. I know I could survive all those events, but I'll probablly get passed like crazy. I'm also somewhat short on equipment. I have a bike, but it's a mountain bike, not a road bike, and I have no other race equipment.

Well my question is should I do this race or wait for a later one. I'm only worried that this is the last triathlon I've found scheduled for '06. Or should I do the race to get a feel for the environment? I'll keep training either way. Any suggestions?

2006-06-25 1:31 PM
in reply to: #464932

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: RE: Starting Training for First Triathlon
It's hard to say without having a better sense of your current distances/times on foot and on the bike. But if you've got decent general fitness, you could almost certainly do it with a little time in the water.. as a check, you may want to take a look one of the sprint training plans here on BT to assess your readiness- e.g. on the 13-week plan, do you feel comfortable with the training scheduled for week 6/7?

If you wanted to do a later race, have you checked trifind.com or the race nexus here on BT?

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
2006-06-25 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
robertjuric - 2006-06-25 11:22 AM

I decided to start training for my first triathlon. I'm a little apprehensive about it merely because the race is short notice. The race is August 6. I'm in the Army so I run a good deal every week, and I like to do a little mountain biking on the weekends. But I've never trained to bike or swim in a race environment. It's a 400m OW swim, 10mi bike, and 5k run. I know I could survive all those events, but I'll probablly get passed like crazy. I'm also somewhat short on equipment. I have a bike, but it's a mountain bike, not a road bike, and I have no other race equipment.

Well my question is should I do this race or wait for a later one. I'm only worried that this is the last triathlon I've found scheduled for '06. Or should I do the race to get a feel for the environment? I'll keep training either way. Any suggestions?

Just do it! I as well just started training, and plan on doing my first tri (don't know when yet) on a mountain bike. No sense in dropping serious coin on a road bike until you decide to keep doing tri's and become competetive at them. The way I look at it is the faster and longer you can go on a MB that's all the more faster you'll be when you decide to cough up for a RB. As far as getting passed, shouldn't matter, just be happy you actually finished your first time.
2006-06-25 2:32 PM

I know I could DO the race. I'm just going to be lost as hell while I'm doing it. Oh well, I guess everyone has to start somewhere.
2006-06-25 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

Hang out on this site and read, read, read.  It's all here for you, and you have plenty of time to learn.  Most folks preparing for their first tri are apprehensive about the physical aspects, but like they said, if you follow a basic plan and get in the water, you'll do fine. 

2006-06-26 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
#1 - You'll be fine!
#2 - You've got 5-9 weeks depending on when in August your race is to train. If I were you, I'd just modify the "Swim Focused" 16-wk program on BT site. Since swimming is what you need the most work on, focus on that!
#3 - Read everything you can on BT, ask a ton of questions, and have fun!

2006-06-26 11:57 AM

Chesapeake, VA
Don't worry so much about how you place- just do the best you can. This will set a benchmark to improve upon. I did my second tri 3 weeks ago. It was the same race as my first, a year later. When people asked how I did, I didn't get into my time or my place, I just replied "seven minutes faster than last year." That's what was important to me.

As far as the bike goes, a mountain bike should be fine. I would just replace the knobby tires with slick ones.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Training for First Triathlon Rss Feed