General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Hours Joel Friel and Matt Fitzgerald Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-30 11:00 AM

Calgary
Subject: HIM Hours Joel Friel and Matt Fitzgerald

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long message but could use some advice - thanks in advance!

I've read Joel Friel's Your best Triathlon and think it's got great info.  I also bought Matt Fitzgerald's Triathlete week by week training guide for structured wo's.

There are some differences between the two, the obvious being the length of aerobic endurance times. Joel has some up to 3 hrs or running where Matt's are 1-2 hrs (IIRC).  I'm used to marathon training where you run based on km's.  I don't just want to finish, but want to have a good time at the HIM.

I guess my question is, does anybody have experience with either of these if I should be concerned about total km's or are hours good enough?  Same goes for swim.  Joel speaks to drills and time for the training while Matt's are drills but with total meter's.

I'd like to follow Joel's workouts and use Matt's plans for structure.  I'm just not sure if I simply follow the training plan(s) and not over think this?  A coach would be best but no funds for that this year.  My experience is one season with half marathon, one sprint, one oly and trained with a tri group all season - lots of trianing.

I feel I keep trying to validate Joel's plan but a part of me is tired of doing this and just want to follow a plan and know that if I follow it, I will have a good race.

Comments?

2012-11-30 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4516409

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: HIM Hours Joel Friel and Matt Fitzgerald

Someone else will probably chime in on this but I've done both and I'm partial to the meters. I rarely run "just for an hour". It's probably down to personal preference. I like seeing solid numbers on the mileage and meters I get in. 4000, 4500, 3500, etc. in the pool broken down into a workout based on what I need to do whether it be sprints or drills. Its easier for me to keep track of and organize how I train. Some people are better with a "get in and swim for x amount of time" approach but I can't do that very well.

Bottom line: personal preference.

2012-11-30 12:24 PM

Master
Northern IL
Training load is time & intensity. Structure the distances so that they will match up with the time you need given your current training speeds.
2012-11-30 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

I have used Fitzgerald's plans for my last 2 HIM races and been very pleased. As you stated Matt uses time for both the bike and run and distance (yds) for the swim. The swim is pretty straight forward, swim the prescribed drills for the distance specified and you are set. For the bike and run workouts he specifies a time and then a type of workout. In the description section of the book he gives a detailed explanation of each type workout. If you use heart rate he gives you the zones to be in or if you are like me and use RPE he gives those also. For the run I use the McMillan calculator and take my training paces from that. So if Matt calls for a 60 minute tempo run, I use the tempo pace from McMillan to know how fast to run for that 60 minutes.

The plans prepared me well and I like that there are 10 levels to choose from for each distance. I will be using his plan again this year for my IM in September. Good luck to you, and if I can help with any more info let me know.

Edited by TriBoilermaker 2012-11-30 12:26 PM
2012-11-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4516587

User image

brigby1 - 2012-11-30 8:24 AM Training load is time & intensity. Structure the distances so that they will match up with the time you need given your current training speeds.

This

Here's an example of a bike workout.  The plan calls for 3x25' at HIM effort (time and intensity).  No matter what, the overall workout is going to take about 2 hours (15 min WU, 90 min MS with rest intervals, 15 min CD).  For me to do this, I would probably average about 19 mph on flat roads, so I need to plan a route that's about 38 miles to make sure I have enough distance to fit everything in.  On the other hand, if Bradley Wiggins was doing this workout, he would probably average closer to 25 mph at the same "effort", and he would need to make sure his route is closer to 50 miles.

It's technically the same workout for both of us, but two different distances.

2012-12-01 10:09 AM

Calgary

Great, thanks everyone!  I'm happy to hear that Matt's wo's have worked so I'll lean toward his plans.  My HIM is in june so I've got lots of time to prep before teh 20wk plan starts.  I think I'll follow Joel's book until then.

I'll also check out that speed calculator for running, sounds pretty cool

2012-12-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4516694

Calgary
tri808 - 2012-11-30 12:17 PM

brigby1 - 2012-11-30 8:24 AM Training load is time & intensity. Structure the distances so that they will match up with the time you need given your current training speeds.

This

Here's an example of a bike workout.  The plan calls for 3x25' at HIM effort (time and intensity).  No matter what, the overall workout is going to take about 2 hours (15 min WU, 90 min MS with rest intervals, 15 min CD).  For me to do this, I would probably average about 19 mph on flat roads, so I need to plan a route that's about 38 miles to make sure I have enough distance to fit everything in.  On the other hand, if Bradley Wiggins was doing this workout, he would probably average closer to 25 mph at the same "effort", and he would need to make sure his route is closer to 50 miles.

It's technically the same workout for both of us, but two different distances.

This is where I get hung up.  two different distances but prepping for the same race.  But I remember in the running room's book they mention you don't need to run a marathon length before the race as the race day will bring together the accumulation all of your workouts.  So i'm guessing, same principal applies with tri's.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Hours Joel Friel and Matt Fitzgerald Rss Feed