General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local club race team??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-10 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Local club race team???

I was our for a long ride on Saturday and met up with some guys from the local cycling club race team. I rode with them a few hours and they invited me to join them on some of their normally scheduled group rides. I've always been a solo rider, but I can see that participating in hard group rides will really help take my riding up a notch. I've never done USAC races before, but I'm interested in doing some road races and crits this year. Are there any drawbacks for a brand new Cat 5 person associated with listing the club and the club race team when I buy a USAC License?

The club guys say that all I need to do to join the race team is list them with USAC and let their coordinator know I want in.

2012-12-10 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4529008

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Local club race team???
Since you have permission from the team, you'll be fine. You don't need to show "proof" when getting a racing license through USAC.
2012-12-10 7:46 PM

Pro
yep,

typically when you get your USAC license you can choose a club/team to associate yourself with.  Some clubs/teams have certain criteria (racing in the team kit, etc.) when being part of the team.

I joined a team in Northern VA/DC area and we have a few "bi-laws" (volunteering at races we put on, buying/racing in the team kit) to abide by in order to join the team.

I must say it has been night and day different riding with the team.  Much better training structure, ability to realize how slow I actually am, and a ton of information from other teammates.

2012-12-10 8:27 PM

User image

Maybe someone can clarify, but I think if you list a team when buying your annual license, you can only race for that team that calandar year. 

For example...lets say there is a race that has a team award for top 3 finishers on a team.  You want to do the race, but none of your other teammates can.  You can't decide for that race you will race for another team and try to help their top 3.  You have to race for your licensed team even if it's technically pointless to do so.

2012-12-11 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4530055

Pro
yep,
tri808 - 2012-12-10 9:27 PM

Maybe someone can clarify, but I think if you list a team when buying your annual license, you can only race for that team that calandar year. 

For example...lets say there is a race that has a team award for top 3 finishers on a team.  You want to do the race, but none of your other teammates can.  You can't decide for that race you will race for another team and try to help their top 3.  You have to race for your licensed team even if it's technically pointless to do so.

Correct but around here we keep track of your results through the whole season.  Also you wouldn't switch teams 1/2 way through unless you got sponsored.. which is very rare.  

Just like football players being traded 1/2 through the season.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local club race team??? Rss Feed