General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Groupsets help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-11 5:37 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Groupsets help

Hey all,

I need to upgrade my groupset, thinking about going ultegra or 105. But was wondering are these all the same for tri bikes and road bikes?

I've got a road bike at the moment but will be buying a tri bike in the next couple of years so don't want to buy a groupset if it's not going to work on my tri bike.

Excuse the ignorance, I'm new to cycling.

Cheers

Scott

2012-12-11 6:03 AM
in reply to: #4530260

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Subject: RE: Groupsets help
Groupset should work with your tri bike outside of the shifters obviously. Also their may be a difference in the front derailluer being either braze on or clamp on but that is an easy fix for the most part. If I were you I would go with ultegra. Also don't be afraid to look at SRAM components like Rival or Force.
2012-12-11 6:22 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
What do you currently have and why are you upgrading?

If you are planning to buy a complete tribike, it is very likely it will be 105 level at a minimum so I wouldn't worry to much about whether you can then move your upgraded components from the road bike to a tribike.

While the shifters are an obvious issue, there are others things to consider such as BB type which may make part of your groupset incompatible with your tribike.

Shane
2012-12-11 6:26 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Groupsets wear out. Bushings, bearings and cog teeth lose crisp tolerance after years of use. Also, technology improves yearly and obsolescence comes along.

Unless you're planning on buying a state of the art, 2013 groupset at top $$$ and using it for only a season or 2 on your road frame before moving it, I wouldn't do this.

Save your money, ride and steadfastly maintain your road bike and buy a new tri bike when you're financially ready for it.
2012-12-11 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4530282

User image

Regular

Yeah I haven't had a proper look at other types yet just Shimano, but I will be looking into others.

I currently have Shimano something it doesn't say so I assume it's something like Sora? Just came with the bike. Upgrading because the shifting isn't great and it doesn't feel strong enough when pedaling. Quite flimsy almost. 

Yeah that's one thing I did consider but I want to have Ironman Nice next year so was wanting something before then to make things a bit more sturdy. Being a student there is not much chance of me getting a tri bike before then either.

Thanks for all your responses

Cheers

Scott

2012-12-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4530385

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Unless there's something wrong with some of the components, you are not going to get more 'sturdy' by upgrading.  The higher grade groups tend to wear out faster.  They trade durability for lesser weight.  There are better places to spend your limited funds for now.  Keep what you have and get a good tune up.

2012-12-11 9:15 AM

Indiana

Personally, nothing hampers my enjoyment more on a bike than weak and sloppy shifting.  So I completely understand what you are saying about wanting to upgrade.  However, I wouldn't look at it as getting a new groupset to use with a future tt bike, especially since you say the tt bike is a couple of years out.  In stead I would look at increasing my enjoyment on my current bike and worry about the tt bike when it's time (this is really true because improvements come out every year and the prices continue to come down).

You can get really good deals on 105 components in the used market because many buy nice frames with 105 and then as they save $$ they want to set up to Ultegra and sell their 105.  Ultegra definitely shifts better than 105 but the cost set up is quite a bit.   IMO stepping up to 105 from Sora or Tiagra is a worth while performance increase.  Depending on your current frame and components, to get the best bang for your buck, I would be looking at getting 105 sti shifters, ultegra RD, 105 FD, and 105 crank.  Now that said look around, because with patience you can find some great deals in the used market that will allow you get a little better components (i.e. ultegra sti shifters, etc.).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Groupsets help Rss Feed