General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on routine? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-14 6:13 PM

New user

Subject: Advice on routine?

I would like any input on my beginning strength training plan. I am in the beginning stages of training for a sprint triathlon, and I am looking to build a little muscles while doing it. I included some leg exercises but would like to know more. Here is what I do during my two sessions per week:

Exercise TypeSetsReps

Legs:Squats215
 Runners Lunge215
 Lateral Lunges215
 Calf Raises210/5Quick
Arms:Side Lat Raises215
 Front Lat Raises215
 Push Ups210
ShouldersShrugs215
BicepsCurls215
ChestDumbell Flys215
 Lawn Mowers215
TricepsDips215
CorePlank130 Secs
 Superman330 Secs
 Crunches220

2012-12-14 11:00 PM
in reply to: #4536013

Regular
Subject: RE: Advice on routine?

Is there a reason you are not doing any back exercises?  

Also the Lat raises are going to work your shoulders more than your arms (biceps/triceps).

I would probably drop one of the shoulder/lat raise exercises and push ups and add lat pull downs and seated rows, but that is me. I am sure people with more expertise will speak up soon.

Good luck.

2012-12-15 6:57 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

What are your primary goals?  That's the first question that needs to be asked before designing a program.

Regardless of your goals, by designating a specific number of sets and reps for each exercise without changing them, you're going to plateau very quickly, and stop experiencing fitness improvement.  A program needs to include progression to be effective.

2012-12-15 8:18 AM

New user

I forgot about the back, thanks for that advice! 

Of course I am going to be changing my reps/set #'s as I progress. I was looking for advice on the types of exercises and making sure I am hitting everything necessary. Sorry for not making that clear.

My goals are just to tone up and gain strength in my entire body. I am not looking for massive bulk. 

2012-12-17 8:18 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I'm still a little unclear on what you want to accomplish.  You said in your OP that you're beginning to train for a sprint tri, but didn't list that in your goals.  You said you plan on doing the strength session 2x per week, but didn't mention any other sessions that I assume you're doing to prepare for your tri.

The issue is that nothing we do exists in a vacuum.  If you hadn't mentioned the tri, and only listed your goals of gaining some strength and toning, for a beginner, I'd suggest strength training 3x per week full body (similar to your program) or 4x per week split routine (2x each upper body & lower body). 

BUT, you mentioned the tri...

If we assume you also want to do well in the race, and you're already training s/b/r a few times each per week, limiting the strength training to 2x per week makes some sense, but then I'd suggest a completely different routine - one that focuses on stability, balance, flexibility, and compensating for the imbalances that can develop from s/b/r training.  The details would depend on what equipment you have.

2012-12-17 9:34 PM

Massachusetts

schlecte, I am not ripping apart your work out but if I could just tweek it.

Legs: just add more sets and change the exercises every two weeks.

Arms: looks like a shoulder workout. Arms are biceps and triceps, just do do 4 sets of 10 light weight, 2 sets is really no benefit.

Shoulders: sorry but lose the shrugs, they're a useless movement unless you're a body builder and still I see people shrugging 200/300 lbs on those little muscles, no wonder people have neck and back injuries. I would do standing presses and rotator cuff exercises

Chest: Sorry dumbell flys are another bad movement espcially for the shoulders. Just do flat bench press and push ups, mix up the push ups with wide, reg, narrow.

Core: looks good eventually add more time.

Hips: make sure you take care of them, look up exersices.

Just my thaoughts, good luck.

2012-12-18 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4539084

Massachusetts
Sorry,as for back workouts, just work on pull ups, most people cant even do 12 strict pull ups, start from the dead hang and finish there.
2012-12-18 10:09 AM

Take a look at the rant I just made.  It might give you some good ideas. 

2013-01-18 4:14 PM

Also dumbbell flyes are an excellent exercise when done correctly.
2013-01-18 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Deadlifts. You can cut a bunch of those exercises out and save yourself a lot of time in the gym if you add just the basics.Deadlifts, squats, benches, rows, pullups and pushups.
2013-01-19 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota

My advice????

4 sets at higher reps of :

Legs - squats, lunges, calfs

biceps/chest - Bench press, cable or dumbell flys, pushups, barbell curls, dumbell curls

Back/tris - Dumbell Rows, pull ups, skull crushers, seated row, deadlifts

for core you can do a variety of things including plank, incline crunches, side crunches with kettleball.  

This would entail 3 to 4 times a week but will give you a much better overall workout, burn fat, get you stronger.  You can add cardio like swimming, running, etc on days off or even on weight days as long as it's not back to back with weights 

Edited by lakelandsledder 2013-01-19 8:41 AM

2013-01-19 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4585475

User image

Expert

tzcoaching - 2013-01-18 8:48 PM Deadlifts. You can cut a bunch of those exercises out and save yourself a lot of time in the gym if you add just the basics.Deadlifts, squats, benches, rows, pullups and pushups.

This x2 most of that other stuff could cause some injury like other posters have said. The only thing i would add is overhead press or military press. Its a really good exercise for shoulders and shoulder health. I also think your reps/sets are a little wonky. Do 3 sets of 8-12 if you are more intent on hypertrophy work.

2013-01-22 2:38 AM

New user

Hey guys thanks for your advice in this thread. I just signed up but it seems really healthy, and I look forward to getting your advice once I work out my routines. Only a few more months until spring!

2013-01-22 6:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-13 1:13 AM

hope stretching is included in the beginning and relaxation in the end.  I do few breathing exercises in the beginning to oxygenate myself to push myself harder in the gym.  rest your plan seems good.

Edited by rhondagraymond 2013-02-13 1:16 AM
2013-03-07 3:18 AM

New user

This is great! Thanks all for your advice. Now, I had a great idea with my training. 

Cheers!

2013-03-07 6:54 AM

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

tzcoaching - 2013-01-18 8:48 PM Deadlifts. You can cut a bunch of those exercises out and save yourself a lot of time in the gym if you add just the basics.Deadlifts, squats, benches, rows, pullups and pushups.

Yep.

There is a lot of time in your routine spent working tiny muscle groups...why not do exercises that hits a lot of stuff at once? Also puts a hurting on your lungs if you hit it good.  For instance, one of my workouts: (3 rounds.  No more than 30 seconds between exercises, 1-2 minutes between rounds.  Unless I've taken an 5 hour energy.  Then rest periods are for the weak)

-Goblet Squat with twist (with a weight that gives me 15-20 reps to start, increasing each round)

-Mountain climber pushups (until I want weep like a child)

-Bent over barbell rows (with a weight that allows me to do 12ish reps for first round, increasing until I can only do -8 on last round)

-Military press or push-press.

And doing the same routine over and over can lead to staleness.  At the vary least, vary your grip and intensity regularly.  One week, you might go as high as 15 reps...other days, use a weight that leaves you barely able to complete the 6th rep of your last set.

2013-03-10 6:01 AM

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas

I'd recommend increasing your sets to at least x3. x1 isn't going to really do much for you and x3 with high reps will work endurance. Again, to repeat, ensure that you are doing each of the exercises correctly. Do not rush through a rep, a good 1, 2 count up and down with proper exhale will provide you more benefit. If you go yanking things, consider that it will transfer to the muscle groups as well... Yank....

If you yank without doing a rep correctly, you involved other muscles.... In unwanted ways and that is how you end up taking days off for recovery.

I didn't read through all of the replies but browsed. I didn't seen any mention of Rows. Very good for the back (Lats) and if you do some cable push-downs they will work your back as well, although primarily designed for the tri's.

Initially work all body parts for Phase I, then moving towards more isolation workouts three of four times a week. You will plateau if you work everything all of the time and realize no additional gains. 

Good luck and you are correct, the people here on BT are the greatest!!! Thank you all!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on routine? Rss Feed