General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a Ratio of bike/run when doing bricks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-15 8:07 AM

User image

Subject: Is there a Ratio of bike/run when doing bricks?

Hey folks,

Taking advantage of the mild New England weather I decided to try my first brick instead of doing a long run. I choose a short bike route with rolling hills and flats where I could concentrate on pace and some drills followed by a short run around the block. I ended up doing a 30min ride followed by a less then 15min run. I wasn't wearing a watch and I don't have a fancy gadget to log the details (maybe santa will bring me something), but anyways....

What I wondered is whether or not the bike/run segments are proportional to one another? is it something like X bike miles = x/10 run miles or based on time like,  x minutes bike ride = y minutes run time?

THanks

2012-12-15 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4536237

Veteran
Subject: RE: Is there a Ratio of bike/run when doing bricks?
If your doing it for the purpose of learning to run off the bike. 15-20 is the max benefit. If your doing it to get an extra workout in as well. Run 15 min hard off the bike then settle into your workout.
2012-12-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4536237

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

No not really, the 30/15 that you did or is just right for training purposes even 20/10 works well for sprint training and getting used to transistioning from the bike to the run. I like to start in the spring that way and then build to longer distances so that by race season starting, I am doing full oly race distance bricks, but that's just me and certainly not necessary for sprint  race training distances.

At 30/15 you are probably covering about 60 to 80% of your sprint race times anyway, depending on how fast you are. the real benifit of bricks is to help you establish the correct pace feel comming off the bike, probably what you will find initially is that when you start doing them it will feel like you are not going very fast when you get off the bike and start the run, when in fact you will be running a lot faster then you think you are HEAVY Leg Syndrome aside, so you need to develop a feel for the right pace so you dont put to much in at the start of the run and then run out af gas at the 3k mark and struggle thru the last couple of kilometers wishing the race was over. I know for me when I can pick up my pace by about 15 to 20 sec / mile over the last K and still sprint a bit at the end ,that's right around where I want to be speed wise. You would be suprised how many people you can pass In a Kilometer

Edited by RRH_88 2012-12-16 9:21 AM
2012-12-16 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4536801

User image

Extreme Veteran
I do one of two things on my bricks.

If I treat it as a full "brick" session then I will do a full length bike and then a full length run, one after another depending on what my current plan and distances are.  I don't generally do long session on my bricks. 

These are harder to recover from as it is, so I don't do these too often, but sometimes do them just to get the workouts in when I'm crunched for time.

"Transition runs" are basically  bricks, but you only run 10-15 minutes off of any bike ride to get your body used to the change from biking to running and is an essential part of training to do these.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a Ratio of bike/run when doing bricks? Rss Feed