General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimus Road vs Minimus Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-17 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Minimus Road vs Minimus Trail
Thinking about getting one of these shoes, I like the trail more, but I was concerned about that funny strap that goes across the toe box.  Has anyone had a problem with it or once you got going did you forget it was there?

2012-12-17 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4537694

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Minimus Road vs Minimus Trail

Pete at Runblogger had issues with it, and did some "shoe surgery" to remedy the problem. Ericwjacobson here on BT has a pair, and has put them to good use.

I'd also suggest taking a look at the Altra Superior, and the new crops of the NB Minimus Trail 00 and the Minimus Road 00.

2012-12-17 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA

I have run in three different models of the New Balance Trail and road models over the last 1.5 years. Her are my thoughts on each.

NB Road Model MR10BG: Shoe took a bit to get used to. It was my first model when I moved into the minimalist style shoes. No comfort issues or hot spots. Shoes are good for dry weather road running. Do not recommend wet weather as shoes don't have tread pattern to accommodate the wet

NB Trail Model MT1010GY: I had issues with these shoes. Blistered on both heals and had issues with toes rubbing on insole when toeing off. I found this model is overly stiff due to the rock plate. I does provide protection against rocks well, though transitions to road surface were uncomfortable due to stiffness.I would not recommend these shoes.

NB Trail Model MT200R: This model does not have a good rock plate and I do not recommend it for trails that are predominately covered with rocks. I found that my mid foot suffered due to the lack of a good rock plate. Overall I found the shoe comfortable for dirt covered trails and lite road use. I did not find any issues with comfort with the strap that goes over the toe box. These shoes take awhile to get use to and you need to keep running in them to keep your mid foot use to the lack of the rock plate.  

I just moved over to the Altra Superiors and find these shoes are much better than any of the New Balance models. Find a store that carries the Altras and give them a try.

2012-12-17 11:15 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I wear the minimus trail for EVERYTHING. It's my everyday shoe. That funny strap loosens up just fine and giaves the shoe shape after it gets broken in.

The road version rubbed on my foot funny in 2 different pair so I retunred them.

I got a pair of Brooks Foot blade taht are zero rise, have some cushining but minimal support/stability. I love them as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimus Road vs Minimus Trail Rss Feed