General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water & side stitches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-26 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
Subject: Water & side stitches
I have a bit of a dilemma... I know I need to hydrate while on the bike, but every time I do, I get NASTY side stitches while running. It happens every time! It doesn't matter if I drink the whole water bottle or just take a sip, I end up with a side stitch. If I don't drink anything, I'm fine, but dehydrated.

I've also had this happen during 1/2 marathons (at mile 12, go figure!), and during a 4-mile race two weeks ago. I didn't drink that much (during the 4-mile), but the side-stitch was sure there, once I took some water! Again, I've done 10-mile runs with no water (dangerous, I know), and the side stitches never appear.

So do I skip the water (or gatorage, etc.) and do the race without? Do I keep hydrated and tough it out through the side stitches? Any other ideas?

2006-06-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #466373

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: Water & side stitches
My understanding of side stitches is that there is connective tissue being strained from the diaphragm to the liver. It all has to do with breathing. You might change your breathing when you hydrate therefore you get them. What I do is stop running. Push on my liver and blow my air out hard.
2006-07-04 2:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Does tbhis happen when taking gels or solid food?
2006-07-05 10:19 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

you know, the EXACT same thing happens to me. and i'm totally stuck about what to do (sorry i'm not piping in with great advice). and i sweat pretty good so i know hydrating is even more important. but i can't even drink anything an HOUR before i run, or the same thing will happen. for my first tri i just had to run through it and focus on breathing in for 3-4 strides and then forcefully breathing out for 3-4 to try to regulate breathing because i've also heard that it's a matter of your diaphram. anyway, the breathing helped me get through it as i was focusing on THAT rather than my cramp.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water & side stitches Rss Feed