BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2012-12-22 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4542736

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees Mentor Group - OPEN

Welcome to all the manatees from all over the world. 

Jonathon in AK, thank you very much for your service to our country. I was up in Fairbanks this summer and I thought about how cold it must be there in the winter. -43 is friggin' cold, yikes. Where are you headed in TN? I have family near Knoxville. Those running times look pretty nice. Keep on keeping on!

Jonathon in TX, that is a sweet looking ride right there, ride it like you stole it. It is sure nice to have a supportive wife pushing you to improve. Good Luck. BTW, I also have family in Houston. Where in East Texas are you? An active group is what you want, you are in for it

Stacey, welcome and remember that those of us in the back of the pack just get to experience the joy of the race for longer then those other folks! Hopefully we can help you get a bit more steady on your training. Unfortunately, I have no family in Australia, but I do have a friend named Jo over there and she is really cool!

OK, I got in my JoGo time (30 minutes a day, every day in December) this morning, met up with the bike store group and rode in 40* temps. It was not the way this Florida boy wanted to spend the morning, but once I got going it was all good. I'm off to add Jonathon, Jonathon and Stacey to my friends list.

2012-12-22 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Okay, metrics I can do, but what the he!! is netball?
2012-12-22 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4545153

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

rrrunner - 2012-12-22 12:09 PM Okay, metrics I can do, but what the he!! is netball?

I'm guessing it is played with a ball. And a net.

Thank you very much, I'm here til Thursday! Please tip your servers.

2012-12-22 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Chris, I think the cold got to you more than you think ;-D
2012-12-22 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
TJ, I believe you are correct! Even worse then the cold was when I got home and was trying to stretch out a cramp in my calf. I had a rubber resistance tube pulling my toes/foot up. The thing slipped off my foot and hit me in the eye. It was all my wife could do to not laugh at me, but finally she gave in and started cracking up. I can't blame her, I was laughing pretty well myself. Who has two thumbs and hits himself in the head while stretching. This Guy! Duh.
2012-12-22 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4545165

User image

Veteran
East Texas

First Tri Bike Ride:
Wow on so many levels. Not only was it a big difference going to aero but it was a big difference in quality of bike. Shifting was so much smoother, the ride was so much smoother, and the bike felt lighter and of course much faster.

AERO:
Windy day made it tough for my first aero ride but it went great. Stayed aero for about 40% of the ride. I have some soreness in my neck, outside shoulders, and triceps. I also felt it in my quads more than normal but that was to be expected. Over all I felt really good. The bike was so much more responsive in handling but I got the hang of it after about 20 minutes.
Really excited! Can't wait to ride again!!

2012-12-22 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
You GO JJ!!!!!

Aero is a big change. Glad you enjoyed your ride on the new steed!!'
2012-12-22 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

NAME: MN_Av8or / Marcus 

STORY: I'm a 27 year old, single guy, living in Minneapolis Minnesota and trying to balance good grades in full time school, working out and my work as a Crew Chief for the USAFR.  Triathlons are just wayyy more fun than any single endurance sport because apparently I get bored easily.  So splitting my regular training up into 3 main sports is a win win for me.  My "athletic" background would be soccer, rugby, downhill skiing and lacrosse in high school... approaching 10 years ago now Cry   Currently I downhill ski when I get the chance, indoor rock climb, Crossfit off and on and this will be my third season of triathlons.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to improve my running by doing about 75-80 mpm, maintaining my bike with trainerroad.com and completely disregarding my swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Buffalo Sprint, Chisago Lakes Olympic, Monster Dash 5k, Polar Dash 5k.

2013 RACES: So far I don't have any because I might move out to Seattle in the summer but I am guessing I will get a sprint and an olympic in during June and hopefully my first HIM in before the seasons end.

BODY COMPOSITION: I am 5'10, sitting around 170-175 right now and would like to get down to a 160 or muscular 165.  All in all the composition will come from doing what I am doing and eating right (

This looks like an experienced group.  Can't wait to get this bike off the trainer and for this season to start!  Happy holidays everyone and I hope this is an awesome year for everyone!

Edited by mn_av8or 2012-12-22 12:58 PM
2012-12-22 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Most tempting.           Cool
2012-12-22 1:33 PM

User image

Can i put my name down for this group if it's not to late. I will post a bio later.
2012-12-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4545228

User image

Elite
mn_av8or - 2012-12-23 5:44 AM

NAME: MN_Av8or / Marcus 

STORY: I'm a 27 year old, single guy, living in Minneapolis Minnesota and trying to balance good grades in full time school, working out and my work as a Crew Chief for the USAFR.  Triathlons are just wayyy more fun than any single endurance sport because apparently I get bored easily.  So splitting my regular training up into 3 main sports is a win win for me.  My "athletic" background would be soccer, rugby, downhill skiing and lacrosse in high school... approaching 10 years ago now Cry   Currently I downhill ski when I get the chance, indoor rock climb, Crossfit off and on and this will be my third season of triathlons.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to improve my running by doing about 75-80 mpm, maintaining my bike with trainerroad.com and completely disregarding my swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Buffalo Sprint, Chisago Lakes Olympic, Monster Dash 5k, Polar Dash 5k.

2013 RACES: So far I don't have any because I might move out to Seattle in the summer but I am guessing I will get a sprint and an olympic in during June and hopefully my first HIM in before the seasons end.

BODY COMPOSITION: I am 5'10, sitting around 170-175 right now and would like to get down to a 160 or muscular 165.  All in all the composition will come from doing what I am doing and eating right (

This looks like an experienced group.  Can't wait to get this bike off the trainer and for this season to start!  Happy holidays everyone and I hope this is an awesome year for everyone!

27 and single.  My stalking radar just went off.

2012-12-22 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

Oh - what the hell...as a group, you guys are just crazy enough without being too crazy so I'm jumping in with both feet!

NAME: Muskrat37 / Chad - I am a 31 year old man trapped in a 41 year old body.

STORY:  Just a dude who woke up from a 10 (more like 20) year slumber.  I had a really rough 18 months where I became a walking country song.  Lost my business, lost my house, sold my truck and lost my wife.  That lead to me drinking too much, eating crappy food and gaining weight. (6'3" tall - weighed 220 lbs and it was all around my waist)  I was approaching 40 and it dawned on me that I was soon to be the 3rd generation of Musgrove males to have a heart attack in their 40's.  Since I want to be around to see my 11 year old son grow old, I decided that I would lose weight and get in shape so I started running.  I hated running in school, but found that as an adult I love it!

I was athletic in High School - grew up a competitive swimmer and did quite a bit of cycling in high school. I have also always liked to go fast and catch big air.  That big air thing bit me in the a** in May of 2008 when I missed a 30 foot kicker (ski jump) in the terrain park and broke my sacrum and pelvis.  Couldn't walk (literally) for a couple days, and parts of me (that I shall not name) were black and blue and VERY swollen.  Doc said I was could have easily been paralyzed or bled out and died that day.  That never really sunk in, but that's what the doc said.  1 surgery, 1 week in the hospital, 3 months walking with a cane and I was back skiing in December of 2008!  Hell yeah - that horse might have thrown me, but it wasn't going to win.  I still have a titanium screw in my a**...feel free to interpret that however you want.  

My new love for running, combined with my swimming / cycling background led me to decide to do my first triathlon last year.  It was a full Iron Distance tri.  I finished (14 hrs 51 mins) and am now hooked and planning 2 Ironmans this year.  I am now 185 lbs, and love my life.  Thank you triathlons.  

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced, single father to an amazing 11 year old son who ran his first 5K a couple weeks ago.  He's getting his 1st pair of running shoes for Christmas.  

CURRENT TRAINING:  After totally bombing the run in my Ironman (7+ hours) I am using the winter to focus on running.  Hit 34 miles last week and am now tapering for my 1/2 marathon on 12/31

2011 / 2012 Races:

• Santa runs Tacoma 10K
  • Christmas Fun Run 10K  (ran dressed as an elf)
  • Expedition Man Ultra Triathlon (Iron distance)
  • Yukon Do It 1/2 marathon (Blew out my Achilles at mile 8 - ran in 2:04..getting revenge on it this year)

2013 Races: 

• Vancouver Chilly Chase 15K - 1/27/13
  • Lake Sammamish 1/2 Marathon - 3/9/13
  • Eugene 1/2 Marathon - 4/28/13
  • Hits Full Iron Distance - 5/18/13
  • Haven't figured out June / July races yet
  • Expedition Man Full Ultra - 8/24/13 (I want revenge on that course)

Body Composition:  

1st day of new life (7/28/11) - 

Current (12/19/12) - 

Glad to be a "Manatee" and looking forward to the crazy direction I can see this group heading.  (Based on Yanti's comments already)  

2012-12-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4545286

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
jobaxas - 2012-12-22 2:02 PM

27 and single.  My stalking radar just went off.

Haha, excellent!  I could always use some more stalkers in my life Joanne!  But I am warning you that I am nowhere near a pro like your usual stalking targets.

2012-12-22 2:43 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Hi, can I offer a bit of Welsh blood to the altar?Name. Darren.Story. I gave up smoking on the 15th of October, so was looking for a long term goal that would keep me off the cigs. I came across a site that explained about a sprint tri that is held yearly. With it being not too far from me, I thought it was doable. First obstacle, 500 meter open water swim and not being able to swim, mmmmmm. So, I have been in the process of receiving lessons and am currently up to 50 meters before needing to take a breather lol.Next thing was a 20 km bike, mmmmmm. Didn't own a bike, so borrowed a mountain bike and went out for an hour ride to see how it goes. Not very well apparently.an hour to do 13 km I now have a cheap secondhand road bike off eBay (specialized elite) and a turbo set up and I am on week 3 of trainer roads intermediate build program, and loving it.Last, but not least the 5 km run. Mmmmmmm, ok, I can run the 5 km, but most other athletes would be in the house by the time I get past the line. So, I started running, gradually building intensity and duration as per the build program's. got a bit cocky and went a bit further than I should have on one run, got a niggly knees in 6.5 miles in, kept running for another 1.5 miles, big mistake. Been plaguing me ever since. So I completely laid off the running and sleeked medical advice. A month and a half lat, 2 docs, 1 X-ray and a physio and I'm allowed to start building my runs again. The pain is still there, but the physio has given me a program to try to correct the problem. Apparently it is the platella ( knee cap) not tracking correctly due to my outer quad muscle over taking my inner quad. So, I know have lots of standing on one leg looking like a dick trying to balance exercises to follow. Plan on doing my first walk/jog 30 min session tomorrow.Family. I have a wife and 2 kids. Kids are under 5 years old, so it can be a bit tough with arranging training etc2013 races. June. Pendine Sprint Tri. 0.5/20/5km And others, haven't worked that out yet. But ultimately I want to do ironman Wales in 2014.Body goals. Currently at 5ft 5 in, weighing in in the red corner at 170 lbs. which is a lot lighter than my heaviest the last time I gave up smoking, which was 196lbs. So, quite the oompah loompah.I'd really like to join this group as the sense of humour appears to be on my wave length.I'm looking to update my training log shortly. My first query is, how would I go about uploading my trainer roads.com data onto my logs. Oh, and if there's anyone else on trainerroad.com, look me up, my name is the same as here.
2012-12-22 2:44 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Oh crap, sorry about the formatting. Stupid ipad. FFA.
2012-12-22 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok metric is the go then it will save me taxing my brain. As for netball can't really describe that one other than to say it's a bit like basketball without the ball bouncing all I can suggest is google . Do my spaces disappear because my apple has fruit fly?

2012-12-22 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4545309

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Richardsdrr - 2012-12-22 1:43 PM Hi, can I offer a bit of Welsh blood to the altar?Name. Darren.Story. I gave up smoking on the 15th of October, so was looking for a long term goal that would keep me off the cigs. I came across a site that explained about a sprint tri that is held yearly. With it being not too far from me, I thought it was doable. First obstacle, 500 meter open water swim and not being able to swim, mmmmmm. So, I have been in the process of receiving lessons and am currently up to 50 meters before needing to take a breather lol.Next thing was a 20 km bike, mmmmmm. Didn't own a bike, so borrowed a mountain bike and went out for an hour ride to see how it goes. Not very well apparently.an hour to do 13 km I now have a cheap secondhand road bike off eBay (specialized elite) and a turbo set up and I am on week 3 of trainer roads intermediate build program, and loving it.Last, but not least the 5 km run. Mmmmmmm, ok, I can run the 5 km, but most other athletes would be in the house by the time I get past the line. So, I started running, gradually building intensity and duration as per the build program's. got a bit cocky and went a bit further than I should have on one run, got a niggly knees in 6.5 miles in, kept running for another 1.5 miles, big mistake. Been plaguing me ever since. So I completely laid off the running and sleeked medical advice. A month and a half lat, 2 docs, 1 X-ray and a physio and I'm allowed to start building my runs again. The pain is still there, but the physio has given me a program to try to correct the problem. Apparently it is the platella ( knee cap) not tracking correctly due to my outer quad muscle over taking my inner quad. So, I know have lots of standing on one leg looking like a dick trying to balance exercises to follow. Plan on doing my first walk/jog 30 min session tomorrow.Family. I have a wife and 2 kids. Kids are under 5 years old, so it can be a bit tough with arranging training etc2013 races. June. Pendine Sprint Tri. 0.5/20/5km And others, haven't worked that out yet. But ultimately I want to do ironman Wales in 2014.Body goals. Currently at 5ft 5 in, weighing in in the red corner at 170 lbs. which is a lot lighter than my heaviest the last time I gave up smoking, which was 196lbs. So, quite the oompah loompah.I'd really like to join this group as the sense of humour appears to be on my wave length.I'm looking to update my training log shortly. My first query is, how would I go about uploading my trainer roads.com data onto my logs. Oh, and if there's anyone else on trainerroad.com, look me up, my name is the same as here.

I think you are spot on with that observation!!!!!!!!!

2012-12-22 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welcome to the new victims Manatees! We really do have a good time here, and are thoughtful and helpful and supportive at the same time. 

Marcus and Chad, I've seen you around BT. Glad you are here. Also, to those of you who have served/are serving our country, my sincere THANKS goes out to you.

For those of you across the pond, good to have you. We already had/have a pod-mate in Australia and England (and Bali, of course) so we're happy to have more.

Now, as Chris said, I am off to add you all to my friends list.

2012-12-22 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Welcome new manatees! We really have quite the cross section - should make for an even more interesting pod.I'm in ft lauderdale for the week and don't know how often I'll be able to post, so in case it's not til after Xmas,MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
2012-12-22 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4545439

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Jonathan (I've heard good things about Chattanooga Waterfront Tri), Jonathan (another first HIM in the spring!  TJ is doing Oceanside in March), Stacey, Marcus, silverback25, Chad, and Darren! 

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

2012-12-22 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

NAME: ponderingfox / Tom Albrecht

STORY: I've always been a real athletic person, and one of the faster people in any group.  I didn't do sports in high school or college, so I never had an outlet for my ability.  I stumbled into tri at the beginning of this year, and I've really been taken with it.  I like not being limited to one set of activities.  I realized recently that I managed to join a local tri club, a less local tri team, as well as a master's team and a running club (and will ride with local cycling group when it's warm).  I have a gift for over-booking myself, I guess.  I did my first (sprint) tri in July.  Really, I spent most of this year recovering from plantar fasciitis.

FAMILY STATUS: Single and 29

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm trying to get in 6-7 workouts a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

• Fit to Fight sprint tri in Mason, OH
  • 5k in June
  • Tour de Witt century in September

2013 RACES: 

• ORRRC half marathon April 7 in Xenia, OH
  • Hawk-i Tri sprint start of June in Lansing, MI
  • Fight to Fight sprint start of July
  • A couple TBD olympic races in July/August (local race groups don't post until after turn of year)
  • A couple centuries August/September
  • Oh, and assorted 5Ks and 10Ks (with the goal of going sub 20 for a 5k).

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm 136 currently.  Don't have any major goals, just looking to see what happens with some consistent oly distance training.  I'm also looking to lay a base for marathons and HIMs in 2014.

2012-12-22 11:55 PM

User image

Master
I'm in if you'll have me Will post bio in morning.
2012-12-23 12:10 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry!

THIS POD IS NOW FULL. VERY SORRY, WE CANNOT ACCEPT ANY NEW MEMBERS.

Everyone who posted before this notice is accepted. Thank you, and welcome!

All former Manatees are always welcome.

2012-12-23 12:52 AM
in reply to: #4545157

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rrrunner - 2012-12-22 11:13 AM Chris, I think the cold got to you more than you think ;-D
Oh, please. I ran Friday morning in 17F, day after a blizzard. Talk to me when you've been out in the real cold, Chris. /sarcastic
2012-12-23 12:59 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry!

Welcome, new manatees. You will love our pod. 

I hope everyone is enjoying the season. I am having a hard time getting workouts in without a great deal of guilt tripping by my hubby and kids. My employer is much more understanding of my training needs than they are. I am trying not to be snarky about it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry! Rss Feed  

of 84