BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2013-01-28 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4597967

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry!
Muskrat37 - 2013-01-28 12:13 PM

OK Manatee's.  Here are the deets of my race...  I posted a race report, and I posted on my blog - but I left out a few of the details that I saved just for you guys to get a good laugh at.  

I'm supposed to catch my train out of Seattle (45 min drive) on Saturday morning at 7:40 a.m.  Normally not a big deal, as I'm an early riser, but I went out with my brother Friday night, and didn't get in until 1:00 a.m.  Did I mention that I drank way, way to much beer?  

With my alarm set for 5:00 a.m.  I still wasn't worried, because I new I could sleep on the train.  For some reason though, I didn't sleep well at all, and I woke up about 10 mins before my alarm went off.  I was feeling nauseous and decided "F" it I'm scrapping the race.  About 10 mins later, I was praying to the porcelain goddess while on my knees on my bathroom floor.  I barfed and suddenly felt better, so I decided to brush my teeth, take a shower and hit the road.  LOL  

It must be known that (a) I haven't vomited from over consumption of alcohol in at least 10 years, so it must have been something I ate right?  And (b) there must be a porcelain goddess, because she answered my prayers and made me feel better.  

I make it to Vancouver and spend most of the afternoon walking around, re-hydrating, and eating as much food as I can.  I'm in bed by 8:00 p.m. and slept a full 12 hours (something I also never do).   

Sunday is race day - I walk from my B&B to the race start (about 1.5 miles).  It was raining and cold, so I stop at Starbucks for a last cup of coffee.  Questioning the decision to drink a cup of joe 45 mins before start time, I drink about 1/3 and dump out the rest.  

Race starts - I'm feeling surprisingly well.  cruising right along and since you all know I run naked (without a watch), I ask the guy beside be what our pace is.  He says "about 4:30 per kilometer."  Sh*t!! I forgot I was running in Canada and everyone was using splits in kilometers!!  So I just keep running.  

At the 8k mark, I get passed by a guy who had been stalking me for a while.  I found out that he was Canadian as well when he replied with "4:30 per kilometer."  "Oh well" I thought, at least I was consistent.  

I decided to pick up the pace so as to negative split the last 1/2 of the race.  I pass 8k stalker boy at the 10k mark and this time I wisely ask him what our overall time was.  He said "43 minutes."  That is a full 5+ mins faster than my 10k time last year!  

I cross the finish line in 1:05:16 (that's what the race clock said).  That is an average pace of 7:00.17 seconds per mile!  I missed my goal of going sub 7 by 2 seconds overall!  That 2 seconds will motivate the hell out of me next time I think I'm going to skip a run day!  

Long walk (1.5 miles feels longer after the race than before) back to the B&B for a hot shower and to change.  Did I mention the walk was up the hill, in the rain, and it was freezing cold?  I couldn't run there to stay warm, because I left it all on the course.  

I spend the next few hours in a pub watching a hockey game and talking to Bee and Kyle.  They are a cute couple.  Kyle is 25 and a bartender.  He works hard, drinks hard, watches hockey and snowboards as often as possible.  Bee is a gorgeous 29 year old British nanny who works hard, drinks hard, watches hockey with Kyle and snowboards as often as possible.  She has done this in France and Switzerland also, but not with Kyle.  I am a 41 year old American male who is seriously envious of both their lives!  

I leave the pub in plenty of time to make my train.  Get to the train station and see a small line for the Seattle bound train so I decide to go have a Big Mac.  After finishing my Big Mac, I go to board my train AND THE DOORS ARE LOCKED AND CUSTOMS IS CLOSED!   

I knock on the door and the customs guy comes over.  I am standing their with my ticket in hand and my passport and looking at my train (which isn't leaving for 15 more minutes) and they won't let me board the train.  3 agents have gathered around now - all with nothing to do, and not one of them was willing to check my bag and let me get on my train!  I'm trying to laugh it off (at the time) but inside I'm really pissed.  I missed my train for a Big Mac!  LOL  (now it's funny).  

The customs agents point me to the Greyhound station.  $24 and 45 mins later, I'm boarding a bus for Seattle.  Oh well - not the end of the world but I will tell you this.  The Amtrak train seats are much, much more comfortable than the bus seats.    I made it home about 11:00 p.m. last night and am playing hooky from work today so I could update you all on the adventures of Chad this weekend.  

Stupid 2 seconds and Big Macs!  

Best memories come from our self imposed idiocy and doing well in spite of ourselves.

Well done Manatee. 

2013-01-28 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4598842

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
MadMathemagician - 2013-01-28 7:06 PM

OK Manatee's.  Here are the deets of my race...  I posted a race report, and I posted on my blog - but I left out a few of the details that I saved just for you guys to get a good laugh at.  

I'm supposed to catch my train out of Seattle (45 min drive) on Saturday morning at 7:40 a.m.  Normally not a big deal, as I'm an early riser, but I went out with my brother Friday night, and didn't get in until 1:00 a.m.  Did I mention that I drank way, way to much beer?  

With my alarm set for 5:00 a.m.  I still wasn't worried, because I new I could sleep on the train.  For some reason though, I didn't sleep well at all, and I woke up about 10 mins before my alarm went off.  I was feeling nauseous and decided "F" it I'm scrapping the race.  About 10 mins later, I was praying to the porcelain goddess while on my knees on my bathroom floor.  I barfed and suddenly felt better, so I decided to brush my teeth, take a shower and hit the road.  LOL  

It must be known that (a) I haven't vomited from over consumption of alcohol in at least 10 years, so it must have been something I ate right?  And (b) there must be a porcelain goddess, because she answered my prayers and made me feel better.  

I make it to Vancouver and spend most of the afternoon walking around, re-hydrating, and eating as much food as I can.  I'm in bed by 8:00 p.m. and slept a full 12 hours (something I also never do).   

Sunday is race day - I walk from my B&B to the race start (about 1.5 miles).  It was raining and cold, so I stop at Starbucks for a last cup of coffee.  Questioning the decision to drink a cup of joe 45 mins before start time, I drink about 1/3 and dump out the rest.  

Race starts - I'm feeling surprisingly well.  cruising right along and since you all know I run naked (without a watch), I ask the guy beside be what our pace is.  He says "about 4:30 per kilometer."  Sh*t!! I forgot I was running in Canada and everyone was using splits in kilometers!!  So I just keep running.  

At the 8k mark, I get passed by a guy who had been stalking me for a while.  I found out that he was Canadian as well when he replied with "4:30 per kilometer."  "Oh well" I thought, at least I was consistent.  

I decided to pick up the pace so as to negative split the last 1/2 of the race.  I pass 8k stalker boy at the 10k mark and this time I wisely ask him what our overall time was.  He said "43 minutes."  That is a full 5+ mins faster than my 10k time last year!  

I cross the finish line in 1:05:16 (that's what the race clock said).  That is an average pace of 7:00.17 seconds per mile!  I missed my goal of going sub 7 by 2 seconds overall!  That 2 seconds will motivate the hell out of me next time I think I'm going to skip a run day!  

Long walk (1.5 miles feels longer after the race than before) back to the B&B for a hot shower and to change.  Did I mention the walk was up the hill, in the rain, and it was freezing cold?  I couldn't run there to stay warm, because I left it all on the course.  

I spend the next few hours in a pub watching a hockey game and talking to Bee and Kyle.  They are a cute couple.  Kyle is 25 and a bartender.  He works hard, drinks hard, watches hockey and snowboards as often as possible.  Bee is a gorgeous 29 year old British nanny who works hard, drinks hard, watches hockey with Kyle and snowboards as often as possible.  She has done this in France and Switzerland also, but not with Kyle.  I am a 41 year old American male who is seriously envious of both their lives!  

I leave the pub in plenty of time to make my train.  Get to the train station and see a small line for the Seattle bound train so I decide to go have a Big Mac.  After finishing my Big Mac, I go to board my train AND THE DOORS ARE LOCKED AND CUSTOMS IS CLOSED!   

I knock on the door and the customs guy comes over.  I am standing their with my ticket in hand and my passport and looking at my train (which isn't leaving for 15 more minutes) and they won't let me board the train.  3 agents have gathered around now - all with nothing to do, and not one of them was willing to check my bag and let me get on my train!  I'm trying to laugh it off (at the time) but inside I'm really pissed.  I missed my train for a Big Mac!  LOL  (now it's funny).  

The customs agents point me to the Greyhound station.  $24 and 45 mins later, I'm boarding a bus for Seattle.  Oh well - not the end of the world but I will tell you this.  The Amtrak train seats are much, much more comfortable than the bus seats.    I made it home about 11:00 p.m. last night and am playing hooky from work today so I could update you all on the adventures of Chad this weekend.  

Best memories come from our self imposed idiocy and doing well in spite of ourselves.

Well done Manatee. 

Well said, and thank you.  This will definitely be remembered as one of the better races..  

2013-01-28 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4542736

User image

Elite
Oh hold the front page I just did a PB for my lunchtime run of 6.9km.  Felt real good.Laughing
2013-01-28 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4598853

User image

Master
Muskrat37 - 2013-01-28 9:14 PM
MadMathemagician - 2013-01-28 7:06 PM

Well done Manatee. 

Well said, and thank you.  This will definitely be remembered as one of the better races..  

De Nada.   I'll soon be 55 and there is still a lot left to do and see and experience.    Old age comes when one basically give up on  expectations.     I still expect to do great things.  

Lost Boy to the end. Cool

2013-01-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4598602

User image

Master

KansasMom - 2013-01-28 6:11 PM After spin class tonight, where we sweat buckets and buckets, everything on me smells like chlorine. I guess that's okay, but does that mean the chemicals at the pool are messed up or am I turning into, dare I say it, a fish?

A fish.  The aroma of Chlorine is lovely.  

2013-01-29 12:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Was a rough morning this morning. I was doing the second video of Stage 3 of Tour of Sufferlandria when my chain goes pop. It started acting up on Saturday but was too late for me to go to the LBS to get a replacement. I was hoping it would last until today when I could get to my LBS. It decided to stop working this morning. A new chain and I am back in business.

Destroyed Chain

I also got to enjoy some "active recovery" or Army PT this morning. But I wanted to share this pic. This is what the weather was like today. It was -41 (C or F does not matter), about a 1/8 to 1/4 mile visibility due to ice fog.

Ice Fog

I am about the 4th car from the stop light. Yes I was not moving when I took this picture, the light was red. If we have several days of -30F or below days we end up with Ice Fog. The exhaust from vehicles, buildings, etc does not move and just stays stagnant in the air. It is cool, until it gets this bad. The "low" today was -48F (-44C). We still had work as life continues in these parts despite ridiculous cold.

2013-01-29 12:04 AM
in reply to: #4598916

User image

Master
MadMathemagician - 2013-01-28 7:49 PM

KansasMom - 2013-01-28 6:11 PM After spin class tonight, where we sweat buckets and buckets, everything on me smells like chlorine. I guess that's okay, but does that mean the chemicals at the pool are messed up or am I turning into, dare I say it, a fish?

A fish.  The aroma of Chlorine is lovely.  

Yep, I smell like chlorine just about whenever I sweat...

2013-01-29 12:06 AM
in reply to: #4599029

User image

Master
jbwills - 2013-01-28 10:04 PM

Was a rough morning this morning. I was doing the second video of Stage 3 of Tour of Sufferlandria when my chain goes pop. It started acting up on Saturday but was too late for me to go to the LBS to get a replacement. I was hoping it would last until today when I could get to my LBS. It decided to stop working this morning. A new chain and I am back in business.

Destroyed Chain

I also got to enjoy some "active recovery" or Army PT this morning. But I wanted to share this pic. This is what the weather was like today. It was -41 (C or F does not matter), about a 1/8 to 1/4 mile visibility due to ice fog.

Ice Fog

I am about the 4th car from the stop light. Yes I was not moving when I took this picture, the light was red. If we have several days of -30F or below days we end up with Ice Fog. The exhaust from vehicles, buildings, etc does not move and just stays stagnant in the air. It is cool, until it gets this bad. The "low" today was -48F (-44C). We still had work as life continues in these parts despite ridiculous cold.

I think your chain snapped in protest...  I don't believe I have ever experienced weather that cold.

2013-01-29 4:31 AM

User image

Elite
Making the most of my last evening without houseguest did 1.40 on the drainer. I hooe she sleeps soundly I'm doing half hour at 530am tomorrow
2013-01-29 4:38 AM
in reply to: #4599093

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
jobaxas - 2013-01-29 5:31 AM

Making the most of my last evening without houseguest did 1.40 on the drainer. I hooe she sleeps soundly I'm doing half hour at 530am tomorrow

The Drainer.. I like that.
2013-01-29 4:39 AM
in reply to: #4599035

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
bcraht - 2013-01-29 1:06 AM

jbwills - 2013-01-28 10:04 PM

Destroyed Chain

Ice Fog

I think your chain snapped in protest...  I don't believe I have ever experienced weather that cold.

EEEK! that's awful. I grew up in Northeastern Iowa... I remember some cold days like that.

2013-01-29 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4597967

User image

Melon Presser
Muskrat37 - 2013-01-29 2:13 AM

CONGRATULATIONS SKRAT!!!

LMAO. If it makes you feel any better I've missed a plane for a SECOND Big Mac (after a marathon). Best burger I ever ate, though.

2013-01-29 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4598861

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

jobaxas - 2013-01-28 10:18 PM Oh hold the front page I just did a PB for my lunchtime run of 6.9km.  Felt real good.Laughing

Woo hoo!

2013-01-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4599093

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

jobaxas - 2013-01-29 5:31 AM Making the most of my last evening without houseguest did 1.40 on the drainer. I hooe she sleeps soundly I'm doing half hour at 530am tomorrow

I about snorted my coffee at this comment.

So Jo, how do you really feel about it Sealed

2013-01-29 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Put in a slightly longer Sufferfest this AM than the 45 minutes my plan called for so I knocked another 10 minutes off my Sunday deficit :-)Then I headed out for my QC run and was pleasantly surprised with a light snowfall! Great start to the day.Happy Tuesday Manatees
2013-01-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4598002

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-01-29 2:30 AM

I had a BEAUTIFUL run on Sunday. It was slated as a recovery run. Wait, let me back up. I went to go visit my best friend and her new baby in the morning. She's been slammed with family so I was just waiting until things calmed down to come meet him. Anyway, here we are:

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't really like babies. But when it's the spawn of someone I love so dearly, it's a game changer. Notice the beer in the background? Of course I brought beer!!!! 

Anyway, afterwards I went trail running. It was a place I hadn't been before.

Oh my gosh. I think I feel head over heels IN LOVE with running again. It was really cool because I first ran to a small waterfall and then out to an old coal mine, complete with old-timey mining cart. I tried (and failed) to get a photo of myself in the cart. You just have to trust me on this:

Frackin' gorgeous. Oh, and the scenery's okay and the kid's pretty cute, too. Getting him started early on the booze, I approve.

2013-01-29 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4598002

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Asalzwed - 2013-01-28 1:30 PM

I had a BEAUTIFUL run on Sunday. It was slated as a recovery run. Wait, let me back up. I went to go visit my best friend and her new baby in the morning. She's been slammed with family so I was just waiting until things calmed down to come meet him. Anyway, here we are:

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't really like babies. But when it's the spawn of someone I love so dearly, it's a game changer. Notice the beer in the background? Of course I brought beer!!!! 

Anyway, afterwards I went trail running. It was a place I hadn't been before.

Oh my gosh. I think I feel head over heels IN LOVE with running again. It was really cool because I first ran to a small waterfall and then out to an old coal mine, complete with old-timey mining cart. I tried (and failed) to get a photo of myself in the cart. You just have to trust me on this:

BABY! TREES! WATERFALL! SALTY!!

2013-01-29 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4599325

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
jmkizer - 2013-01-29 9:35 AM

jobaxas - 2013-01-29 5:31 AM Making the most of my last evening without houseguest did 1.40 on the drainer. I hooe she sleeps soundly I'm doing half hour at 530am tomorrow

lol...leave some earplugs in her room. 

2013-01-29 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4598604

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Muskrat37 - 2013-01-28 5:12 PM

TJ - I have finished with your videos.  Very difficult angle to analyze, but I think I have spotted the main issue.  Your rotation is good, as is your position.  I am going to do my best to explain what I see - and I would like Yanti's opinion as well.  

Your wrist is breaking.  You are "cupping" the water with your wrist (and hand), instead of "catching" the water with your forearm.  You can see it in this sequence that I put together for you:

If you were pulling on a rope and you tried to do it using only your wrist instead of all the muscles in your arm - you would not get very much force in the "pull".  The elbow needs to bend - the wrist is relatively straight, and then you pull/push the water back.  You should feel your triceps working and should not be "cupping" the water with your wrist.  (I hope that makes sense)  Check out 1:40 to 1:48 of this video.  Think of pulling yourself over a barrel, or if you were laying on the edge of a pool with your arms over your head and had to pull your body into the water using your arms.  (For everyone's amusement, I will try to video me doing this silly thing next time I'm at the pool that has tile on the deck.)

The 2nd issues is that your arm is "dropping".  You can see this in the 2nd video more than the first. Your elbow needs to stay high in the water through the pull phase.  Again, imagine pulling yourself over the edge of the pool deck into the water.  Literally impossible to drop your elbow.  

Here is the link to your video's.  I have slowed down some segments and cut out the parts you were not in.  

Video 1

Video 2

I hope this helps - and please let me know if you have any questions.  

Wow. I sure do, huh? Another thing to work on tomorrow! Yay, I have hope for improvement! I do try to picture the "pulling the package" type things to keep my elbow up but maybe if I do it to the extent I think it's too much then it will be correct. Sheila talks about using the whole forearm and I do get that sense but I wonder if the "broken" wrist comes from trying not to push water down when I begin my pull. Thoughts?

So for tomorrow, rotate more on my axis, don't break my wrist and get the elbows up. Check!

Thank you Yanti & Skrat for watching and commenting! {hugs} I'm so excited to have something to work on!!!!

2013-01-29 12:41 PM

User image

Seattle

We got new office furniture and our desks how have the ability to transform into standing workstations in like 2 seconds. Anyway, I attempted standing today. It lasted a total of 45 minutes. My legs got tired and I am now sitting. Pathetic. 

2013-01-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4599805

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2013-01-29 11:41 AM

We got new office furniture and our desks how have the ability to transform into standing workstations in like 2 seconds. Anyway, I attempted standing today. It lasted a total of 45 minutes. My legs got tired and I am now sitting. Pathetic. 

The prosecutor I'm working with on my case has a standing workstation for his computer. Don't know if I could do that full time but I like that you can change it so easily. Go Bux!

Edited by rrrunner 2013-01-29 12:59 PM

2013-01-29 1:06 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2013-01-29 1:41 PM

Color me jealous!  You aren't pathetic, your legs are used to motion, not being still like a tree.

2013-01-29 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2013-01-30 5:41 AM

no sorry that is an impressive feature but I don't stand! Hey they're lucky I'm awake at work really
2013-01-29 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4599543

User image

Elite
Artemis - 2013-01-30 3:13 AM
jmkizer - 2013-01-29 9:35 AM

lol...leave some earplugs in her room. 

ah I was too kind or tired bike thirty mins after OWS tonight. Even if I don't do this IM I'm doing the training it gives me purpose!
2013-01-29 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4599899

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
jobaxas - 2013-01-29 2:30 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-01-30 5:41 AM

no sorry that is an impressive feature but I don't stand! Hey they're lucky I'm awake at work really

I stand when I work at my bench, so I get to sit at my desk.  I do enough walking and standing during the day when I'm doing lots of lab work.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees Mentor Group - VERY CLOSED!!! Sorry! Rss Feed  

of 84