BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-01-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

Georgetown, MA
Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Open

I'd like to join this group, hope there's still space.

NAME:  jjamesw12  (Joe)

GROUP FOCUS: HIM, sprint

STORY: I am a complete rookie when it comes to triathlons.  That being said, I have pretty extensive training experience from rowing competitively in college for 4 years and last summer/fall in Boston, MA.  This past fall I decided to step away from rowing as my current job location has made it difficult to train on a strict team schedule.  I am driven by competition and love to train so triathlons seemed like the perfect choice.         

FAMILY STATUS: 23 years old, single

CURRENT TRAINING: Since I finished rowing in November, I've been focusing on building a good base and I'll be using the 20 week Half IM plan from this BegTri as a trainnig plan guide starting in February.

2013 RACES:  I am currently registered for Syracuse 70.3 in June and Tmberman 70.3 in August.  I may throw in a local sprint triathlon between those two. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'2" and usually sit at about 195lbs.  Ideally I'd like to be about 185lbs come race day.  This shouldn't be too difficult as I'll be cutting out a lot of weight training that I've been used to for the past 5 years.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love competition and everything about it.  Love to train, am not afraid to put in the work and easily accept criticism.  I also tend to become a "student" of my sport.  I'm always reading up on something whether its technique, training or nutrition, I have to know what I'm doing and more importantly the reasons for it.

2013-01-07 1:46 PM

User image

New user
OKC

Hoping there's room for one more in the group.

NAME:  Nick

FOCUS: Sprint, Oly, HIM

STORY: I'm all over the place.  Grew up doing all kinds of running in high school.  My parents have been avid cyclists their entire lives and I've picked up some of it (although I definitely need some improvement).  Stopped doing any kind of real exercise for about 5 years.  Once I moved out to OKC, I got bored and restarted exercising.  Did an indoor tri for the first time in 2010 and have been hooked ever since.  I've been very sporadic with my training however due to several issues/excuses ranging from weather to family life to health.  Over the last few years I have completed a handful of indoor tri's, several Sprint's, 2 Oly's, and 1 failed attempt at a HIM.  I do not have a lot of money to invest in the sport, so have had to slowly upgrade my gear each year.  Luckily with my parents being cyclists, I was able to adopt one of their bikes as my own, saving me the biggest chunk of change in getting started.

FAMILY STATUS: 31 years old, married.

WORK STATUS: Finishing up pharmacy school (days: typically 8a-4p) and working 2 part time jobs (2-3 nights per week: 5-9p along with rotating weekends until 1p).

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished 3 months of core muscle training/building involving mainly weight lifting back in November.  Have started focusing on cardio training for the last month and a half.

2013 RACES:  Have not entirely decided yet.  Likely candidates include indoor tri (Feb), a couple of Sprints, 1 Oly, 1 half or full marathon in April, and an ultimate goal of Redman (HIM) this fall.

WEIGHTLOSS: Definitely don't need to be losing weight.  I am currently at 140 pounds (on my heaviest days) after having gained a little bit of muscle mass.  If anything I could probably benefit from a few more pounds gained (in the proper areas, of course)!

WHAT I NEED: Reaching back to my high school days, I've realized that I need someone to keep me accountable.  Back then I had a coach to give me a goal, pat me on the back when I reached it, then give me a new goal.  Without that coach nowadays, I have noone to push me that can really keep me accountable.  I've tried self-motivation, but it's been hard to keep myself going, especially with some of this harsh midwest weather.  Having some one to bring back at least a portion of what I had in high school would be great for me.

2013-01-07 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4566378

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
jjamesw12 - 2013-01-07 1:09 PM

I'd like to join this group, hope there's still space.

NAME:  jjamesw12  (Joe)

GROUP FOCUS: HIM, sprint

STORY: I am a complete rookie when it comes to triathlons.  That being said, I have pretty extensive training experience from rowing competitively in college for 4 years and last summer/fall in Boston, MA.  This past fall I decided to step away from rowing as my current job location has made it difficult to train on a strict team schedule.  I am driven by competition and love to train so triathlons seemed like the perfect choice.         

FAMILY STATUS: 23 years old, single

CURRENT TRAINING: Since I finished rowing in November, I've been focusing on building a good base and I'll be using the 20 week Half IM plan from this BegTri as a trainnig plan guide starting in February.

2013 RACES:  I am currently registered for Syracuse 70.3 in June and Tmberman 70.3 in August.  I may throw in a local sprint triathlon between those two. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'2" and usually sit at about 195lbs.  Ideally I'd like to be about 185lbs come race day.  This shouldn't be too difficult as I'll be cutting out a lot of weight training that I've been used to for the past 5 years.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love competition and everything about it.  Love to train, am not afraid to put in the work and easily accept criticism.  I also tend to become a "student" of my sport.  I'm always reading up on something whether its technique, training or nutrition, I have to know what I'm doing and more importantly the reasons for it.

Welcome to the group Joe! Hopefully you will find that this this group, there is alot of support, advice and experience to help you meet your goals. All we ask is that your logs are kept u to date! I have found that the HIM distance is my favorite distance so far!

2013-01-07 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4566450

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Warner1281 - 2013-01-07 1:46 PM

Hoping there's room for one more in the group.

NAME:  Nick

FOCUS: Sprint, Oly, HIM

STORY: I'm all over the place.  Grew up doing all kinds of running in high school.  My parents have been avid cyclists their entire lives and I've picked up some of it (although I definitely need some improvement).  Stopped doing any kind of real exercise for about 5 years.  Once I moved out to OKC, I got bored and restarted exercising.  Did an indoor tri for the first time in 2010 and have been hooked ever since.  I've been very sporadic with my training however due to several issues/excuses ranging from weather to family life to health.  Over the last few years I have completed a handful of indoor tri's, several Sprint's, 2 Oly's, and 1 failed attempt at a HIM.  I do not have a lot of money to invest in the sport, so have had to slowly upgrade my gear each year.  Luckily with my parents being cyclists, I was able to adopt one of their bikes as my own, saving me the biggest chunk of change in getting started.

FAMILY STATUS: 31 years old, married.

WORK STATUS: Finishing up pharmacy school (days: typically 8a-4p) and working 2 part time jobs (2-3 nights per week: 5-9p along with rotating weekends until 1p).

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished 3 months of core muscle training/building involving mainly weight lifting back in November.  Have started focusing on cardio training for the last month and a half.

2013 RACES:  Have not entirely decided yet.  Likely candidates include indoor tri (Feb), a couple of Sprints, 1 Oly, 1 half or full marathon in April, and an ultimate goal of Redman (HIM) this fall.

WEIGHTLOSS: Definitely don't need to be losing weight.  I am currently at 140 pounds (on my heaviest days) after having gained a little bit of muscle mass.  If anything I could probably benefit from a few more pounds gained (in the proper areas, of course)!

WHAT I NEED: Reaching back to my high school days, I've realized that I need someone to keep me accountable.  Back then I had a coach to give me a goal, pat me on the back when I reached it, then give me a new goal.  Without that coach nowadays, I have noone to push me that can really keep me accountable.  I've tried self-motivation, but it's been hard to keep myself going, especially with some of this harsh midwest weather.  Having some one to bring back at least a portion of what I had in high school would be great for me.

Welcome to the group Nick! I am planning on doing the Redman full in 2013! So that is awesome it is right in your backyard! As far as accountibilty, we can do hold you to it! Just keep thinking that we all will be looking t your logs and encouraging you along the way!  that is what makes these groups awesome, so please let us know if there are any specific questions you might have and feel free to add to the conversations as we go along!

2013-01-07 8:57 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Bikes
Got a question for the group.  I am looking to get my first road bike.  I currently have a Hybrid but have talked the wife into letting me get a new one.  Question is, should I go with a mid to high level aluminum bike or a beginning level Carbon Bike.  I am looking at a Specialized Allez (aluminum) or a Specialized Tarmac (carbon).  I know the main difference is weight between the two, but are the component upgrades worth it to stay aluminum?
2013-01-07 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4567145

User image

Denton, TX
Subject: RE: Bikes

I have bought many bikes (raced mtn bike and road bikes).  Your best bang for the buck is to go used and buy more bike than you think you need b/c you will want 'that' bike in a year or so.  I totally try to support my local bike shop (LBS) and typically start there.  Most LBSs have a used bike or two and I also try to see what kind of close outs they have (may be able to buy new at a very nice discount).  If they can't get you a great value, check Craigslist, then Ebay.  But if we don't support the LBS, it will go out of business and then we are all screwed.

I literally just picked up my first TT bike tonight (used, from a local guy).  Paid $1300 for a 2012 Transition, but I checked my two LBS first and gave them a chance for my business.  They couldn't get w/in $450 for what I wanted.   My road bike was a closeout (new, from LBS).   I buy all accessories from LBS and pay them to install...they need to make money to stay open.

Be picky, study the reviews and you will find a good bike.  

2013-01-07 11:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

First off, you did the right thing in getting the wife's permission!  LOL (been there)

And I agree that you should buy the bike you want, not just based on the price. there are alot of deals out there if you are patient enough. I ride a Specialized Transition Elite and love it, but it took me awhile to get it. I started out on a mtn bike!!! I then made my way through a cheap bike from Dick's, then a decent road bike I bought from a friend, then I finally was able to get Stella (my bike's name). So I would check for a used bike and the LBS for a great deal on the bike you want.

2013-01-08 11:12 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

Is there still room in the group?  I can use a place to get feedback and support through this new journey in my life.

NAME:  David

FOCUS: Sprint and Olympic (For this year at least! Laughing)

STORY: I'm 37 years old and just experienced one of the greatest things in my entire life.  My wife and I welcomed our first child into this world.  To top it all off....IT'S A BOY!!!  I was the last in my entire family tree that could pass the family name on.  I have been struggling with fitness and weight ever since I started dating my wife.  I gained a bunch of "happy pounds" (40 pounds heavier than the day I met her) and have never been able to loose them.  I want to make a change in my life.  Loose the weight and make fitness a priority in the family.  With my new son, it's important to me that he always sees how important fitness is.  I also want to be able to be extremely active with him (Coach sports, etc.).  I have always wanted to do triathlons since I saw the Ironman Kona on Television when I was younger.  SO....I decided it's time to just do it!  On a whim, I applied for a spot on TheTriShop.com Racing team for 2013 because I knew I wanted to do triathlons this year.  Low and behold, I was accepted to the team!!!  I will be representing them this season and there is no turning back now!

FAMILY STATUS: 37 years old, married with a beautiful 8 week old son.

WORK STATUS: Work full time with a very demanding position in Information Technology.

CURRENT TRAINING: As cheesy as it sounds, I am in the middle of doing the Insanity Workout 60 day challenge with the wife (We are both trying to use it as a starting point of loosing weight).  Twice a month on my "off day" in the program, competing in Indoor Triathlons at my fitness facility (300m swim, 10 mi. bike, 3 mi. run). Once the Insanity Program is complete, I will begin a very structured triathlon training program.

2013 RACES:  St. Peters Rec-Plex Indoor Triathlons (Already completed 3) twice a month through April, St. Peters Rec-Plex Spring and Fall Sprint Triathlons, New Town Triathlon, Octomax Sprint Triathlon, Lake St. Louis Triathlon (Olympic).

WEIGHTLOSS: This is a HUGE goal for me.  Currently at 222 pounds.  I have lost 6 pounds already through Insanity (2 weeks in).  I would love to get back to the weight where I met my wife (187 pounds) by the end of the season.

WHAT I NEED: An additional group to help me stay accountable and push me to succeed.  I already joined a racing team, but the support and extra eye always helps me.  The more I can have someone giving me supporting words and feedback, the better I do.  I especially could use the advice from other triathletes on how they balance work, family, and training.

Here's to a tremendously successful 2013!!!!

2013-01-08 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4568045

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Welcome to the group David and congrats on the new little guy! I have three boys myself and they are so much fun! Congrats on securing a spot on the team also!  That is very cool!  Now we need to make sure we represent!  LOL

Training and finding a balance for family and work can be tough, but I think this group will be very insightful and encouraging to you!

2013-01-08 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Question:

Which of the three segments is the most difficult for you? the one segment that if you could skip all together, which would it be?

2013-01-08 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
The one segment I would love to skip is the swim!  I can do ok in the bike and not too bad in the run.  The swim is the area I have very little confidence in and the area that I am scared the most about making the cut off time.  It would be horrible to train for a year only to not make it past the swim portion.  I'm getting better and I hope that I will have some good swims that build my confidence prior to the race.

2013-01-08 3:18 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Me too.  The swim is the most difficult for me.  I have never been a great swimmer, even though I think both of my sisters are part fish.  Anyone have any suggestions on gaining confidence and ability with the swim?  I know the saying of "just go get wet and swim as much as you can", but is there anything specific that someone did to help with the swim?
2013-01-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4568563

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
jford2309 - 2013-01-09 6:56 AM

Question:

Which of the three segments is the most difficult for you? the one segment that if you could skip all together, which would it be?

12 months ago I would have said swim for sure, but for my HIM last year I worked really hard on my swim and cut 1:20 off my 1000m TT. But now I don't know.... Perhaps for the longer distances the run will end up being the most difficult for me. Swim bike .... finish! Sounds good to me!

I think all 3 elements have their hard parts and good parts.

I'd be surprised if 90% of triathletes didn't say they would cut out the swim.

2013-01-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4567145

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Subject: RE: Bikes
Nadamson12 - 2013-01-08 12:57 PM

Got a question for the group.  I am looking to get my first road bike.  I currently have a Hybrid but have talked the wife into letting me get a new one.  Question is, should I go with a mid to high level aluminum bike or a beginning level Carbon Bike.  I am looking at a Specialized Allez (aluminum) or a Specialized Tarmac (carbon).  I know the main difference is weight between the two, but are the component upgrades worth it to stay aluminum?

My first road bike 5 years ago was used off Ebay. A family friend helped me out (he actually did all the chasing around for me) to make sure I got the right size. It was an aluminium. I still have it and use it for many of my workouts. I paid $700, when it was worth I think about $2000 new.

Last year I bought my first tri bike. After looking around 2nd hand for a few months and not finding anything appropriate, I checked out the LBS, and got the previous year's model for $2.5k (normally $4k). Carbon frame with some entry level components, some slightly better.

Bascially what the LBS guy told me was that if you get a good frame, you can always upgrade the components 1 by 1 later. I haven't changed anything yet as I'm focussing on building my fitness even more before I 'earn' the better components.

If you can get a 2nd hand bike in the right size, do it! If not, you are probably better off getting a new bike in the right size - less chance of injury and you will be more efficient and powerful anyway.

I am by no means an expert on bikes, and can't comment on whether an entry level carbon bike is better or worse than a mid to high level aluminium bike. But I think if you plan on being in the sport for a long time, and you can afford the carbon, go for that one.
2013-01-08 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4568613

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Devilsdlg - 2013-01-09 7:18 AM

Me too.  The swim is the most difficult for me.  I have never been a great swimmer, even though I think both of my sisters are part fish.  Anyone have any suggestions on gaining confidence and ability with the swim?  I know the saying of "just go get wet and swim as much as you can", but is there anything specific that someone did to help with the swim?

Drills and practice!

Practice doesn't make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Read as many swimming books as you can on technique.
Keep in mind that freestyle swimming should always be side on in the water. The only time you should be front on is when you are changing from one side to the other.

Main drills that have helped me:
Side kicking - use a kick board or just have your bottom arm straight out in front - kick on your side staying perfectly side on in the water. Use fins if you can't swim too far without.

Chin to chest - when swimming always tuck you chin to your chest and look at the bottom of the pool directly under you. If you are looking ahead, even if your face is in the water, this causes your feet, legs and butt to drop down below the surface of the water thus losing your streamlined position.

Long strokes - do freestyle normally, but after a normal pull, glide in the water as long as you can before you start to slow down before taking another stroke. This will encourage you to swim long and get the most bang for your buck per stroke. If you can swim 50m in 45 strokes compared to 50 strokes, you are going to save a lot of energy in the long run.

Hope that helps.

If you are still really struggling after a month or 2, I would suggest getting a coach privately for a session or 2 to nail down what you can improve.

Finally, I think someone mentioned earlier about their breaststroke being faster than freestyle. Practice your freestyle, because eventually it will be faster than your breaststroke. If you don't practice it, you won't get better. It's like being bad at riding up hills, only way to get better is by riding hills!
2013-01-08 4:25 PM

User image

New user
OKC
jford2309 - 2013-01-08 2:56 PM

Question:

I'm gonna have to be part of the 10% that says bike!  The swim is not my favorite, but it is something that when I put in the practice, I see improvement.  The bike however... I just can't find a groove I'm happy with.  Between the soreness in the rear end (that supposedly goes away with continued practice Undecided), the crazy winds and weather out here, and the lack of daytime hours, I just wish I could not have to worry about it.  I'll have to start focusing on it soon, but I'm putting it off until the weather gets a little warmer.  For now I'm just putting in miles training on a stationary trainer.

2013-01-08 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

For me, the run after the bike is the part I hate. I love the swim, I love the bike, but the run gets me mentally. I have issues running the speeds I know I can run. I can run  a stand alone run alot faster than I can run after a bike. And that is my focus this year. 

I want to run the run like I do a stand alone run!

So I am really going to focus on my bike fitness this year. I want to be strong off the bike so my run does not suffer!

As far as working on the swim, Stuart is right, drills help a lot! But doing them right is the key. I am starting a Masters swim class soon and that has helped me a lot because the coach is pretty good!

2013-01-08 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4563353

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Subject: RE: Time vs. distance training
Nadamson12 - 2013-01-06 1:52 AM

Is it better to train if distance, or train for time.

ie... Should I be running miles or running for 40-50 min?  All the training programs on here have you training for time periods and states nothing about distances.  I know my average mile time on bike and run and my average 100 meter swim time, and as I look at the times they want, it has for the Olympic training 16 week program it will have me well over the distances on both Swim and Bike but right at the distances for running. 

IMO, I train for time. I feel it is easier to monitor training load this way. You may have heard of the 10% rule - increase your training by no more than 10% each week as more than this can increase your risk of injury. The basic BT plans on this site use this rule.

Eg if you are doing a 20min run this week, the same session next week will be 22min, then 24, etc.

Also, if on a given day you are particuarly tired or fatigued, you won't s/b/r as far for a given time. You are more likely to compound your fatigue by forcing yourself to run 10k, when in reality, you could already be fatigued by 7k. However, if you are setting out for a 1 hour run, it is going to be 1 hour regardless of distance - if you are feeling good, it may be further than normal. If you are feeling crap, it will be less.

Intervals and time trials may be a different story - eg 1k or 1mile repeats or a 5k TT or something like that.
2013-01-08 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4568736

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
jford2309 - 2013-01-09 8:28 AM

For me, the run after the bike is the part I hate. I love the swim, I love the bike, but the run gets me mentally. I have issues running the speeds I know I can run. I can run  a stand alone run alot faster than I can run after a bike. And that is my focus this year. 

I want to run the run like I do a stand alone run!

So I am really going to focus on my bike fitness this year. I want to be strong off the bike so my run does not suffer!

As far as working on the swim, Stuart is right, drills help a lot! But doing them right is the key. I am starting a Masters swim class soon and that has helped me a lot because the coach is pretty good!

Same here! My run in my HIM suffered as I was underdone on the bike. I am really putting in the hours on the bike now for my HIM. I really really really don't want to have to walk an entire marathon.

*TIP FOR THE NEWBIES*
More run fitness does not (always) = better run off the bike. More bike fitness does. If you can finish the bike leg of an Olympic with something in the tank vs being totally screwed, then your run is going to be better.
2013-01-08 9:13 PM

User image

New user
I am more incline to skip the run.  I have never been a strong runner.  I can build endurance but have never had speed.  A couple years ago i injured my shoulder lifting and took up running.  Had a good training set up and after a year of running, my average mile for a 5k was 11 min and for a 10K was 10 min.  Now having been away from running for 2 years my average mile is 10-11 still.  Distance for me is easy to build, speed however is not.
2013-01-09 6:24 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

CONFESSION:

I missed my run this morning. I woke on time but did not feel 100%, it was raining and I was achy. I opted to have a decent breakfast, have my quiet time and enjoy the morning and I am kicking myself for not going out there.

So, I will leave work today and hit the treadmill for my 5 miler, then church, dinner and then I wil come home, put the kidos to bed and ride my trainer for an hour while watching Justified from last night.

2013-01-09 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

I missed my workout this morning.  I didn't sleep well last night which then made it too easy to stay in bed.  UGH!  Now I will leave work a little early and head to the gym for a 4 mile run and 750 yard swim.  I have to get it done before 6:30 when the aqua class starts. (It seems they need the WHOLE pool.)  I didn't know there was an aqua class until I was in the midst of a very long swim and only had 20 laps to go when they asked me to get out of the pool!  Now I check the schedule every time I have to swim.  I won't let that happen again.

2013-01-09 10:57 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Hey all....Co-Mentor checking in.

Sorry I've been a 'loser' lately (more so than normal.... - haha).

I'm finally about 80% and should be working out soon. I've had to readjust my plan several times to keep on it without seeing a HUGE mountain in front of me. Since I am training for an IM, this is something I cannot 'fake' my way through. Literally I could die if I tried to do that.....or DNF (Did Not Finish). Don't know which is worse.

Also....I'm an HR Manager and with this being the first of the year, I'm super-duper slammed with everything at work. Normally I have a little more lee-way to jump on the boards but right now it's almost impossible.

I promise I'm here! Promise.

Later Folks.....and welcome to the new joiners. Let's Do THIS!!!!!!!!
2013-01-09 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Pretty sure I have you all added to my BT friends list so checking logs should be a lot easier!

Since to day is an office day, I plan on working in 10 1 minute planks throughout the day, I just hope no one hears me grunting and wonders what is going on!

2013-01-09 2:06 PM

User image

New user
OKC

Okay, so seeing as multiple people have already mentioned morning workouts, I'm going to toss out my noobish question.  How do you do it?!?  I've always thought about incorporating morning workouts, but I just can't do it.  First off, I'm not a morning person.  Until I've had a shower and a can of soda (don't do coffee!), I can't even tie a shoe.  Personality issues aside though, how do you deal with nutrition and everything else?  If I try and eat and then go out for some exercise, I cramp up or get side stitches.  If I don't eat, there's no way I could do any kind of productive workout.  This puts me at a real disadvantage for all of the races I do that start early in the morning (90% of them)!  I've found that for those races, I have to wake up several hours early (i.e.- waking up at 4am for a 8am race) so I can eat, caffeinate, and digest, all before even starting to warm up.  And even then, I feel like some of those races have been sub-par.  Meanwhile the few noon/afternoon races I've done have been my best races.  I feel more relaxed, better prepared, and my muscles are much more cooperative.

What do you guys do for these early morning workouts?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27