BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2012-12-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - OPEN
Oh and buy your Tri stuff for the year now.  You have about a 1 week window to get shoes, tires, clothes etc. at arounf 40 to 50% off before prices go up again.  I typically get 5 pair of shoes and 4 pair of tires this time of year.  Pro race 3s are around 50% off shoes meh running 35% off or so.  May be better today.

2012-12-26 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.  Your training guide looks like the one I copied from IronFit by Don Fink.  Is that right?  If so, I've gone back and forth over HR training vs. PRE method. (I'd love to discuss each)

Funny story about Boston...I ran it only HM trained.  I got one of the last numbers because a college friend of mine needed a runner to represent her non profit.  It was also summer weather for the race in April....high 80's/low 90's.  So, I ran it in a little over 5 hours.  It wasn't the best time I've ever done but I was cautious because of my lack of miles, weather, and the notorious hills of the course.  I don't like hills very much!  It also ranks as one of my best endurance sports accomplishments to date.

I'm also excited and curious to read about nutrition for these races.  I dehydrated in my 2nd sprint; mostly because I didn't take in enough on the bike....by the time I figured it out, cramping and all that misery set in!

Mike, I'm sorry to read about your DNF at last years Patriot.  I hope you and I get to the finish line this year!

2012-12-26 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Ankeny

Steve, I'd love to join your group!

Name: Brian / BigN

Story: I've been fighting weight issues for two years now.  I started running in 2011 and loved it but had a set back mid year.  I started triathlon in 2012 and loved it even more than just running!  Unfortunately my Training and Racing came to a sudden halt after suffering an injury.  I'm not 100% yet but close.  Training starts again 1 Jan and I'm looking forward to it.  I WILL meet all my goals this year!

Family Status: Married for 14 years and a very proud father of a 10 year old boy and 4 year old Girl.

Current Training: None, which is a problem.  However I'll be back in the saddle within days!

2012 Races: 1 Indoor Tri, 1 Sprint, 1 Olympic and 2 "Fun Runs" (5k and 5M).  Race Reports are posted

2013 Goals: The ultimate goal is a 70.3.  I'm looking at the REV3 in Wisconsin in August.  Along the way I will rerun the same races from last year including the one I got hurt in.  Even though I finished, I've got a score to settle.

Weight Loss:  Over the last three years I've lost 120 lbs.  Unfortunately its been the same 40lbs three times.  I'm 6ft5/330lbs as of today.  I know I can lose the weight and I'm not afraid of the work but I've got to find it within myself not to give up even when faced with adversity.  My weight loss goal is to be in the 260 range by the REV3.

What will make me a good mentee: Once my training starts I tend to get obsessive about the training numbers.  I've got part of a season under my belt and know some of what to expect.  My questions will be more specific in nature as I lose weight and tune technique.

Edited by BigN321 2012-12-26 3:51 PM
2012-12-26 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

NAME: kmatt318/Ken

STORY: Hello! I am a 45 year old inside sales rep for a large healthcare software company in North Carolina.  I am basically a runner turned triathlete.  My goal this year is complete an ironman.  This year's going to be incredible and I am totally excited about all the interesting challenges ahead.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years.  My children are all out of the house and my wife is retired and staying at home with our grandchildren (Devon and Marion).

CURRENT TRAINING: Since this is my "off-season" I am training for 2 marathons.  Disney in January and Tobacco Road in March.  Swimming is still a major issue but I am looking forward to open water swims this spring, early summer.  I am going to aggressive swim and look forward to making that an afterthought.  

2013 RACES:  I am signed up for my first half (Ironman Raleigh) and full ironman races (Ironman Louisville.  

2012-12-26 5:16 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Hey Steve and everyone else here. I hope there is still room to join. Here's my little bio.

Name: Anthony

Story: I was always active until studies and extracurricular activities took up most of my time in college. I graduated three and a half years ago, and at the time my girlfriend (wife now) was thinking about running a half marathon. She wanted me to run with her to make training fun and for some motivation. I was traveling for work needed some inspiration to get back into shape and to stop eating all that delicious restaurant food so I accepted. We finished our first Half Mary together and had a ton of fun along the way. Since then my wife has moved on to marathon distance, and I found that I just don’t have a desire to run that far or that long so I looked into triathlons. Over the last 3 years I have finished 1 Marathon, 2 Half Marathons, two Ragnar races and 1 Sprint triathlon.

2012 Races: I had lofty goals and wanted to finish the REV3 Wisconsin Dells HIM in 2012. I quickly saw this was overambitious for my life and switched to just base building and racing a small, local Sprint Race. I loved every second of the race and surprised myself with how well I did.

2013 Races: I haven’t signed up for any yet, but I have the REV3 Knoxville Olympic, a local sprint, a local Olympic and the Life Time Tri Chicago Olympic all in my sights.

Current Training: I have picked up training again after a long vacation to Thailand (definitely recommend going there!) and the busy, end of the year time for work. I am currently trying to build up my swimming distance while strength training and running for some cardio. I should also be hitting the stationary bikes at the gym – maybe tonight.

Goals: This year I would like to make some large improvement to my swimming and also make some smaller gains on the bike and running. I am 5’10” and 200lbs so I would also like to lose about 10-15 lbs to be get back into shape again (I have that linebacker build). I also want to find a good plan for me and stick to it through the year. I believe a mentor program will go a long way to helping me attain my goals because I will be able to easily interact with other triathletes and we can all push each other through those tough weeks or workouts.

Why me?: I love learning, and I especially enjoy anything fitness or anatomically related. I have learned a great deal from BT and also from my running over the last three years. I hope to give back any knowledge I have read here or elsewhere. All that I learned while run training is also up for grabs. Most of all I am looking for an outlet to talk about triathlon because I don’t think my wife can take another minute of me talking her ear off about tris.

2012-12-26 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4548673

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Baowolf - 2012-12-26 12:13 PM

Welcome Brian.  What are you doing on the wakeboard to injur your knees.  I waterskiied in shows when I was 12 years old, backwards barefoot, slalom course, trick skies (the predisesor to the wakeboard), etc.  Ya I would take a 2 year approach to an IM and see how the build goes for the HIM.  Let me go look at your logs quick.

Alright you could do the HIM swim tomrrow, nice paces and distance.  Bike is really not so strong with a long of 30 and most rides 15-20 miles.  Meh long rides of 35, 45, 55, 35, 50, 60, 65, 40.... ya you will be alright on the bike if you follow your plan, not much room to slack though.  Your run is however, a problem.  Your long run of 6 miles with weeky miles of 12 ish is not close at all.  So long runs of 7, 8, 9, 6, 10, 11, 12, 9, 13, 14, 15, 8, 4 race.  Ok run is possible also, but you are gona be beat up getting in shape that quickly for your HIM.  If you are ok with some walk jog portion of the run then your odds of doing alright in it are much better.  We see how things go as you get closer.  You need to be not missing workout days from here on out though.  The last 2-3 weeks will be taper so you only really have just under 3 months to get in shape.  This will be a stretch to get you there.  Typically I like to see a longer build up for a HIM.  Do how many calories and in what form are you going to take them during your  HIM? 

Sorry if that was too much of hi and run you over with a truck.  I just dont like folks going into HIM or longer unprepared, is not pretty and can make someone want to give up on triathlons. 

Thanks for the honest input. I will be ok with some jogging. Originally had my goal to be above midpack but I am realizing my running is not where I want it to be. I struggle with calf issues on top of bad knees. One day I can run for an hour, decent pace. Next day I run a mile and pull my calf which takes at least a week to recover. I pulled it the other day while running with my wife. It was a very slow run and it just seems to take one step to make it happen. I have tried everything but it is still hit or miss. The treadmill never seems to give me an issue so it must be a difference in the way I run. 

I have been taking some Gu during longer workouts and have done some reading, but no real plan as of yet. 

As far as my knees, that sport just gives the knees a pounding when you start to get some air and trying different tricks. 

Thanks,

Brian

2012-12-26 5:53 PM

Hi Steve,

I would love to join your group if you would have me.

NAME: Melissa

STORY: I am a former high-school athlete in basketball and track, while also playing softball, soccer and volleyball leisurely. Since then I've maintained my fitness through running and various classes (kickboxing, capoeira, etc.). I have run in 5Ks in the past. This will be my first time training for a triathlon and I am very excited. I enjoy all three sports individually and would like to challenge myself in the combined sport. I recognize that I train more effectively with a structured plan and specific goals set. I also recognize that a more structured and committed exercise plan is critical to my overall long-term health.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily single for 35 years. :-)

CURRENT TRAINING: As a result of health issues earlier in the year, followed by job changes, I have fallen off a consistent training schedule. Most recently, I played co-ed flag football for Nike which ended in mid-November. 

2012 RACES:  None.

2013 RACES: A Sprint/Olympic in March. Then build from there.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am looking forward to the structured training necessary for a triathlon. During my inconsistent months, I average a 10-10:30 mile during 5K runs. I'm hoping to build off of that fitness level by reducing my overall run times and complete my very first triathlon with you as a mentor. I haven't suffered any sports-related injuries.

Thanks for your consideration.
2012-12-26 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4548933

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Looked closer at my plan vs your quick outline on distances. The BT beginner plan is substantially less especially in the biking. The long ride is 3 hours with only a couple at 2.5 hours, on the road I average around 18 mph so that is 54 miles for my longest ride. I always felt their plans including the Olympic one I followed last year was short on the bike. I will try to adjust to add some longer rides. 
2012-12-26 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hi, everyone. I'm excited for this group as we have so many different experience ranges and backgrounds. Words of advice -- stick with the group as best you can. I was fortunate enough to be in Steve's last group and it was fantastic. You will get honest educated advice on questions you have, and Steve knows his stuff and will tell you what's what to be sure you are going to make the best of your abilities. Most of all have fun and participate - we'll all be better athletes for it! Cheers!!
2012-12-26 8:47 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL

If there is still a spot I'd love to join the group.  Below is the down and dirty background.

Name: Bufit / Neal

Story:  This all started about two years ago when my wife had the idea that it would be fun for us to complete a local half marathon in October.  We both started the C25K plan but she dropped out around week 3.  I stuck with running as I found it a good stress relief.  Since that first 5k I have completed 6 or 7 others, a 10k, half marathon then got froggy and signed up for a sprint tri in Sept 2010.  It went downhill fast from there.  

Family:  Married for 10 years, 3 month old future Ironman(woman)

Current Training:  Plan is for 7 days a week but sometimes life happens and it doesnt go as planned.  

2011 races:  numerous 5k's, 10k, Montgomery Half Marathon (2:40), Barbarian Challenge, local mud runs, Coastal Tri-it-on in Gulf Shores, impromptu/unsupported/just for fun Christmas Eve half (2:47)

2012 races: IM Augusta 70.3, Montgomery Half Marathon (DNR), Coastal Tri, a couple of sprints for fine tuning, what ever looks fun

2013 races: Alcatraz, Augusta 70.3, Chattanooga Oly, Capital Cool Oly, some sprints and IMFL as my A race.

2012-12-26 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Really looking forward to this group...looks like it's shaping up to have a great mix of people.  Updated bio is below.

NAME: squirt (Carol)

STORY:  I'm 46 and have run off and on for the last 7 years.  As a result of some recurring injuries and getting out of touch with "calorie reality", I packed on some unwanted pounds.  But in early 2011, I decided enough was enough.  Our pastor talked one day about not living life with the emergency brake on, and I felt like that was exactly what I had been doing with my training (or lack thereof).  I realized I was afraid to really try hard and fail, so I always stopped short of giving it my all.  I had done one tri in 2009 as a dare with a friend, liked it, and decided to go "all in".  I got professional help with my recurring injury issues, joined Baowolf's BT mentor group, got a lightly used road bike, and set a goal of doing 12 races in 12 months in 2011 (tri's and running), which I did!!  That definitely formed the habit, and I just keep coming back for more.  I also have the added challenge of having type 1 diabetes (the kind the little kids get), so balancing insulin, carbs and exercise is...well...neverending.  But we all have "stuff" of one kind or another, right?

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my best friend for 24 years, 5 furkids (4 dogs and 1 very tolerant cat).

CURRENT TRAINING:  I've been run focused lately, training for my second full marathon.  I'm doing some very light spins on the trainer for run recovery and chasing a silly bike mileage goal for 2012, but have neglected the swim for a few months.  My logs are updated.

2012 RACES: 1 marathon (first), 2 half marathons, 1 trail 20K, 2 - 10K's, 2- 5K's, 1 OLY, 2 Sprints, and a few bike rally's.     

2013 RACE PLANS:  Cowtown Marathon (2/24/13), Grasslands Trail half marathon (3/23/13), still trying to figure out the rest, but need to shift back to some tri's to stay balanced/healthy.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 25 lbs in 2011, and was just under 120 (on my 5 ft 4 in frame) about this time last year.  I've added back 8 lbs and need to reverse that trend so I can run better and have less chance of injury.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  The more I do this, the more I realize I have to learn.  I have really enjoyed participating in this mentor group in the past, and enjoy giving, as well as receiving encouragement.  You will also save my friends from me rattling on quite as much about all this.

2012-12-26 9:56 PM

User image

Yang Min Shan, T'ai-pei
Baowolf,I would love to be part of the group.Name: TKBio: 46 year old male training for my first Tri. I have struggled with foot problems in the past causing me to cease training a few times. Stress fractures and plantar problems are the culprits. Location: Doha, QatarRaces 2013: Abu Dhabi international Sprint in March and I am looking for something during July either in the Napa area or DC. I missed a slot in the Napa to Sonoma half. We are moving to Tiawan in July so planning is difficult for this summer. I would like to lose 10 pounds prior to Abu Dhabi.
2012-12-26 11:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Hey Steve, I would love to tag along again.  Haven't been able to train for the last months due to injury but Hopefully 2013 will be better.

I will post my Bio later....

2012-12-26 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran

I would like to highlight Steve's recommendation for dual chamber water system for your bike and checking out Infinit for your racing nutrition. I purchased both and used them during my HIM - they are great products! Check out infinit.com if you are interested and you can find the Podium Quest water system online.

I have definitely been in the winter maintenance part of my training, but today I wanted to make sure I could still run 10 miles even though I haven't been training much. It went really well. It was my fastest 10 miles yet and I felt great for eight miles. The last two kept reminding me I have taken time off, but I still finished strong. Right now the eagles are hear for their winter stay to fish and have babies, so running along the lake watching eagles fish was pretty cool. I also managed to get in 800yrds at the pool and 20minutes in the hot tub

Brian - Welcome! If you follow the numbers Steve laid out for you I can almost guarantee you will finish your HIM. That is his specialty. He's really good at seeing where you're at and helping lay out a plan to get you there. Glad we have someone doing a big race soon - exciting!

BigN - Welcome! We have two Brian's in our group. HIM in August is totally possible for you!

Ken - Welcome! Another couple races happening really soon. First HIM is so exciting!

Anthony - Welcome!

Melissa - Welcome! So glad to have several ladies joining the group this year. And we both get to enjoy the single life! Co-ed flag football for Nike? Sounds interesting and fun. Another March race. It's so fun to have a group on BT to cheer for you on race day, so I'm looking forward to being the cheerer!

Neal - Welcome!

Carol - Always glad to see your face! 2.24.13 is gonna be a good day!

TK - Welcome! Steve knows a thing or two about injuries so you are in a good group for suggestions to help you out.

Mitch - Welcome back! Really hoping you have a better year!

So this group is getting big and that's awesome! I must say having this group start up right now is a real blessing. I have been enjoying my down time, and now I'm feeling pumped up to get out there and start getting ready for my A race.

2012-12-27 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Thanks for seconding Steve's recommendation Samantha.  I just googled it and found DC Rainmakers review....and he totally loved it.  Here's the link for those who maybe interested.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/06/podium-quest-aero-bottle-review.html

2012-12-27 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Thanks for the welcome Steve and nice to meet the rest of the crew.  I look forward to virtually training with everyone this winter!  Not sure how much I'll add for swimming as I learned to swim back before they were teaching breathing to both sides ;-)  But I'll be happy to add my $.02.  I'm actually toying with trying to do a couple of OWS races this summer.  Found out a couple of months ago they have 4-5 races within a couple of hours of me.  I was a sprinter in high school (meaning racing 100 yards or less).  It took a little while to learn that endurance swimming (and OWS) is a completely different animal.  I'm definitely not wired for endurance thinking / training though I've gotten better with practice.

Steve, that's quite a hill for repeats.  Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a solid base in running?  Any opinions on the value of hill workouts on bikes?

Carol (Squirt)... it seems like we've crossed paths before... did you have a Hillsborough NJ connection?  Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Had a quick bike class this morning.  Trying to do one of those a week for a more social workout!  Have a great day everyone!

Cheers,

Stu

2012-12-27 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
OK, Samantha, now I'm curious about front mounted hydration bottles. You really like this one? Did you check out any others, such as TorHans? Does the bottle impact bike handling at all?  I started to look into these last spring, but ended up just doing the zip-tied bottle cage between the aerobars. Works fine, but a bit awkward when getting a drink. Anyone else have thoughts on a front mounted bottle like the one she mentioned? Recommendations?
2012-12-27 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Mike - I used the bottle cages on my frame before this, so my experience with other systems is limited. But I don't believe the podium quest creates any disadvantages. I suppose if you want to win an IM MAYBE it would cost you some time, but I'm not there yet. but the advantage of having my water and nutrition available at all times without coming out of aero is awesome. And Steve recommended it which is why I chose to try it. The other big piece is using infinit or something like it for all your nutrition needs. With infinite in my water system I don't have to use anything else for food while on the bike. No gels, no bars, etc. for the HIM distance I didn't even have to refill the nutrition part. It had all the calories I needed for the entire race. The only thing I had to monitor was how much I took in so I didn't drink it all too soon. Hope this helps.
2012-12-27 12:59 PM

User image

Alexandria

Name: Jtsully41 - John

STORY: I remember watching the Ironman on ABC's Wild World of Sports as a kid and always found them interesting.  In my youth I was an avid bike rider, baseball and soccer player in college but never pursued triathlons until three years ago when a USAF Tri-team member joined my organization and offered to train anyone who wanted to give triathlons a try.   Four of us began training and we competed together four months later at my first race...the Nations Triathlon.  Since then I have completed 10 races (mostly International distance) and one Half Ironman (Beach to Battleship) and a few Half Marathons.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married, 26 yrs, two boys (16, 13); I turn 50 this year!

CURRENT TRAINING: After completing my HIM fall 2011, I had two injuries that set me back.; I tore my lower abdominal muscle and a heel stress fracture ??that prevented me from competing through the fall.  I was able to swim/bike but I have just begun to run again after being cleared by my doc.  I feel that I am still ready for the swim/bike portion but need to build my running base back up.  Am still a little gun shy of reinjuring my heel.

2012 races: None

2013: Plan to start racing with a couple early Sprint races building to a International Distance by mid summer.  I'd like to work towards another HIM, but finding the hours to train to that level is difficult.

Weight Loss: I have gained about 10 lbs during the past 6 months (while I was unable to run), will work that off shortly.

If you are willing I like to join your group!  Thanks.

2012-12-27 1:39 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Ok I have lots to catch up on here since lastnight.  The plan I showed is my own creation but shares many component from many programs.  So it is not lifted as a whole, you won't findi t anywhere as is, but will likely find similar plans as the training dynamics are pretty consistent across plans. 

Brian welcome.  We have some weight loss experts here so you are in good hands.  First rule of weight loss, no chocholate.  Drop that one item from your diet and see what happens.  I am will find out from the ortho on 1/3 whats up with my shoulder, so we are in a similar out of shape mode.  August gives you time to get ready for a HIM.  What was the injury and how long have you been resting it?

Ken welcome.  Yay another strong runner, we have a similar marathon pace.  My 2011 marathon was 3:19:30 ish. The swim is challenging, but the bike will make or break your run.  Look to add 1000 miles to your bike total for this year if you can fit it in.  the challenge for you will be balanace.  If you are going to hit your marathons hard, you will only be able to maintain your swim and bike fitness, not really build or improve them much untill April, which doesn't give much time to build for your IM.  Not many would do 2 marthons the year before their first IM, but having a strong run background helps a lot for doing an IM. 

Anthony welcome.  Looks like you are trying to establish a healthy lifestyle with consistent exercise, good eating habbits and some races here and there.  Your first task is to figure out how many hours you want to workout a week, then how you want to break that out as far as how many swims, bike rides and runs.  Then we can look at what races/paces will look like.  You are in good hands, lots of experience here.  Another challenge will be to not compare yourself to our HIM and IM folks.  Everyone is on their own journey.  Running 5 miles for someone who is looking at sprints and enjoying being fit is just as valued as someone doing a 100 mile bike ride with a 6 mile brick.  It is all individual based on your goals.  Some folks who compair themselves tend to drop out of mentor groups because they feel that their efforts are less.  Don't be that person, stay with us we appreciate anyone doing anything good for themselves.  It is your journey.

Melissa welcome.  A sprint and Oly are well within your reach it sounds from your background.  Run speed comes slowly with longer weekly miles.  Build slowly with your miles to a base of 30 miles per week ish for a couple months and then add in some speed work (not too much) for now I would recommend 1 tempo run per week, but mostly just building distance in all three sports.  Don't build too fast.  Pick a plan and stick with it.  Doing speed too soon will likely be your temptation.  I see a little type A showing.  You will love your first tri and you will do well at it. 

Edited by Baowolf 2012-12-27 2:08 PM
2012-12-27 2:03 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Brian calf pulls suck.  A doc will likely tell you to heal a calf properly you do no running on it for 2 months and the build up from a walk/run.  That doesn't really fit with where you want to go.  So.. walking is nearly as good as running. When I have had calf pulls I have walked up to 25 miles a week at  a fast pace.  If you are going to jog on it, avoid hills, avoid intensity on the run and bike, do not kick off the wall hard on the swim.  Basically you want to keep low burst stress on the muscle and just kind of maintain fitness while putting as little stress on it as possible.  If your plan says speedwork say no.  If you can only jog 4 miles twice a week, then walk 4 miles the remaining 4 days.  Ice, etc.  Do not stretch your calves, you dont want to make things worse.  If you want to do the HIM so soon, you are going to be completing it not competing it.  You have to make your choice as you go whether you can race it or not.  If I had a calf pull and wanted to race it... i would do the above things.  Lower intensity, but big enough vollume.

You can do a HIM on a 56 mile bike ride as your long.  But it will not set you up for a strong run.  Hitting 3 rides of 60-65 miles will help you run strong off the bike.  I typically max out at 75 miles for long rides for HIMs.  But I am looking at faster times rather than completing one.  You are in survival mode for this one, so just get in what you can so that you can finish it feeling good.  This will not be a fast race for you.  This will be a learning race. 

Edited by Baowolf 2012-12-27 2:11 PM

2012-12-27 2:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Neal welcome.  You will have to tell us more about your past HIM and where you want to go with this one.  Also please post your workouts on BT so I /we can look at what you are up to and what your paces/fitness looks like.  Looks like you are not overreaching, so you can work on getting a little faster this year 8).  Faster is hard.

TKBio welcome.  It looks like you are going to work on fitting a training base into your life and then get the races in based off that.  This may not be a huge speed building year for you so much as a staying fit, getting real life in and learning lots.  I see next year as being a strong year for you and this year as building a nice big solid base to build off of with some fun races along the way.  I am anxious to learn more about what your training has looked like and where you want to go.

Mitch you are always welcome even if the group says closed.  Good to have ya.

Edited by Baowolf 2012-12-27 2:27 PM
2012-12-27 2:25 PM

User image

New user

San Jose

Hi Steve,

Interested in joining the group, if there's still room and all that!

NAME: Patrick

STORY: I was a competitive dancer and baseball player through high school.  Went to college, and got fat and lazy.  After college I continued to be fat and lazy until the summer of 2011, when I got sick of it, promptly lost 130 pounds, and started running, and bike riding, and swimming!  Once I got myself back into shape, I started running races...some 5Ks, recently did my first half marathon...and now am looking to get into triathlons.  I've always enjoyed each of the individual aspects of a triathlon, figured it would be a good challenge to put it all together into a single race experience.

FAMILY STATUS: 29 and single...living with roommates.  Have some family in the area.  Nothing too exciting.

CURRENT TRAINING: Since the half marathon in November, I've been mostly taking the holidays off.  I'll still go running 2-3 days a week, jump on the bike here and there...lift some weights, do some plyometrics.  Figured this is the calm before the storm...when I start a structured training schedule for the sprint triathlon next year.

2012 RACES: Wildflower 5K and Freedom 5K in Morgan Hill, Big Sur Marathon Relay, Big Sur Half Marathon.  No triathlons.

2013 RACES: Signed up for the Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon in May...also planning on doing some runs:  Wharf to Wharf, both Big Sur runs again, probably a 5K here and there.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've spent the last year and a half or so pursuing challenges...and crushing them.  Decided to lose weight, did it.  Decided to run a 5K, did it.  Then ran a much better one.  Decided to hike Half Dome, decided to run a half marathon, decided to take up mountain biking and crush the hills around here...done, done, and done.  When I set my mind to something, I accomplish it...simple as that.  I just need some structure and help in preparing myself for the triathlon.  It's a foreign race to me...not quite as simple as just strapping on some shoes and running until they tell me to stop...so any guidance I can get in accomplishing this new goal of mine would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions, ask away!

Cheers!

2012-12-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4550243

User image

Regular
Ankeny

Thanks for the words.  I pulled the calves in June so its been six months.  I tried some running at the end of October first part of November and it was painful.  I talked to my Dr. and she wants to do some blood work with the thought of prescribing PT.  I'll know more in a week or so.

That being said my wife bought me an indoor bike trainer for Christmas.  I'm really excited.  I'll get it set up this weekend and take it for a spin.  I'll let you know.

2012-12-27 2:36 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Stu I consider 30 miles a week for 3 months to be a solid base.  If you don't have a big run history I wouldn't do more than a tempo run until you get there.  The risk of injury is too high.  I lump speedwork and hillwork inthe same catagory.  First get your body used to running then work on the speedwork.  Ya 15 year olds can abuse their bodies more and get away with it, not so much at 35/45+.  And those same 15 year olds who build too fast in track and xcountry get shin splints and fried by the end of a 2-3 month training round and recover for 3 months to do it again then recover for 6 months.  That isn't going to work in triathlon.  You need to be training consistently for 9 months and maintaining a lower base for 2-3 months.  So this is completely a different animal.  And yes Hill repeats on the bike are almost necessessary to get faster.  You can start speedwork on the bike much sooner than speedwork on the run.  I would still be putting down 200 miles a month on the bike for a couple months before going too crazy with speedwork on the bike.  You do need to do speedwork on the bike to get faster.  You can get faster on the run simply by runing farther... to a point.  To get below 8:00 mpm for longer distances on the run you will have to add in 800 repeats and maybe some hill work (unless you were born at a sub 8 mpm pace).   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52