BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-12-31 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4554154

Subject: RE: Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - OPEN

Hi!  Thanks for the welcome.  I dabbled a little last week with a little biking every other day and 1 swim, but today i hit it hard.  I walked/ran a little, biked to the Y, swam, and biked home.  I've never done anything like this and this was my first try combinng sports.  I'M POOPED!  It felt good but I am one tired puppy.

- Jae

2012-12-31 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4554154

I'd like to FB you but am having trouble finding you.  Maybe you can friend me.  I am Jae Hilgers and it has me listed as living in Port Orange, FL.  Thanks!
2012-12-31 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4544338

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Jae: Sent friend request, as well as MFP request.  And welcome to the group! 

Carla: Welcome to the group!  Injuries can be tough, I'm dealing with some hip issues, and maybe a shoulder problem now.  Most of the summer I was working on Achilles tendonitis.  That seems to have cleared up.  Listen to your body and your doctor/Physical Therapist; it's easy to over-do it when recovering from injuries, and you end up re-injuring yourself.  (I need to take my own advice!)

The nice thing with training for tri's is you can shift from one sport to another, if something needs to heal better, say an Achilles, you can swim more and run less to give it a rest.

The distances, from shortest to longest:

Super-sprint; varies, but generally less than .25 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and 3 mile or less run

Sprint; generally .5 mile swim, 12.5 mile (40 km) bike, 3.1 mile (5 km) run

Olympic; generally .9 mile swim, 25 mile (80 km) bike, 6.2 mile (10 km) run

HIM (Half-Iron Man) 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run.  Also called a 70.3, for total distance

IM/Full distance 2.4 mile swim, 112 bike, 26.2 mile run.  The original Iron Man length, 140.6 miles total.

There is a lot of lingo, I think there's a thread somewhere on BT that has a list of acronyms.

Oscar: MFP request sent to your email

2012-12-31 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4554459

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
fishwallop - 2012-12-30 10:29 PM

Ted - Nice BTC!  I put the trainer tire on my bike a few weeks ago, and have recently remembered to use it.  This week, I visited A Very Dark Place and "raced" the ladies in Hell Hath No Fury (admittedly with the intensity turned way down).  I really like these videos and I'm interested to compare notes and learn from experienced Sufferlandrians which video(s) I should be considering adding to the mix.  I'm using TrainerRoad with the videos but, since I have very limited bike training experience, I'm not sure if I have my power levels set right (and I haven't read the bible on training with power), so I'm interested in hearing how other people use these videos - RPE, power meter, or TrainerRoad?

Fight Club was the first one I got, and it's still one of my "favorites".  It's a Time-Trial focused workout, meaning longer periods at RPE around 7.  I've also recently downloaded Local Hero; this is a tough one at 85 minutes.  I don't think there's a bad one in the bunch.  At our level (amateur/age groupers) any trainer time is quality time.

If you're using TrainerRoad with SF, then the targeted power levels are based off your FTP, Functional Threshold Power.  So you should have done either the 20 minute test, or 8 minute test, to establish your FTP.  If not, it's probably using a default FTP value, which may be too easy or too hard for you.

What power source are you using?  The Virtual Power option that uses speed and converts it to power, works well, but there are some accuracy issues.  However if you're using it for things like sufferfest (and not comparing the numbers to outside riding) it's fine.  The important thing is to be consistent with tire pressure and trainer settings.

I use a power meter now, but when I started I was using Virtual Power.  I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and a Power Tap G3 power meter.

2012-12-31 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4555556

Regular
Toronto, ON

Ted -

Shouldn't that be:

Sprint: generally .5 mile (750m) swim, 12.5 mile (20 km) bike, 3.1 mile (5 km) run

Olympic: 1500m swim, 40 km bike, 10 km run (not just in metric because I'm Canadian, but because that's how the Olympics defines it! - also called the International distance)

As I understand it, a sprint is about 1/2 an Olympic, and a super-sprint ("Try-A-Tri" or "Give-it-a-Tri" in my neighbourhood) varies more but is usually 1/2 a sprint.

2012-12-31 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4555571

Regular
Toronto, ON

My trainer rides are VirtualPower with a Kurt Kinetic.  It's my first year in the game and the budget didn't stretch to a power meter (or a Tri bike - I picked up an inexpensive road bike as an upgrade from the hybrid before my first race).  I check tire pressure every few days and keep the roller at a consistent 3 turns - it might vary a little bit though because I have to swap my bike for my wife's from time to time.

I was under the impression that TrainerRoad's Virtual Power was more precise than accurate (that is, the power levels for two similar workouts would be reported similarly, but wouldn't necessarily be the same power as a true power meter would show).

I did the 20 minute test a few weeks ago, but I should probably do it again after getting a few more rides in so that I can better gauge how hard I can sustain for 20 minutes.

2012-12-31 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Yep, you are right, 40 km for OLY.  The lengths generally double from sprint on up, with the exception of the swim lengths, especially at sprint races, at least around my area.  The swim lengths seem to vary based on the body of water available and other site logistics.

Agree with TrainerRoad; it is repeatable from ride to ride, given tire pressure and trainer settings remain the same, but not as accurate as a power meter.  The other thing to check, if you want it as accurate as possible, is the tire circumference settings.  Since the program uses speed to determine power, if speed is off, then power will be as well.  To visualize this, turn the trainer knob so it isn't touching the tire, and give it a spin so it freewheels, and see the power numbers.

The 20 minute test is torture; it's best to do it with fresh legs after a day off.  And if you do it right, you should want to break your bike, but won't have the strength.  It calculates FTP by finding your average power during the 20 minute test section where you're going all-out.  It takes something like 85% of that value to make that your FTP, which then becomes the reference power for all TR workouts and SufferFest videos.

2012-12-31 8:15 PM

User image

New user

Pasadena, California
Name: Mark

50 yrs old, 265# 6' 5".

I am great with resolutions, I make them every year. 2013 is the year I make a difference in my marriage (7 years) and in my life. Going back to the resolutions I need to prove to my wife I can follow through on this

Goals. Sper sprint in March did it last year in 1:45. Ok really slow but I finished
HIM in st George in may
Spudman in July
IMAZ in November

And I look great in a pirate hat

Have the gadgets and tools, lack the consistency. Never used the BT log, but I'll start.

Would love to be a part of this.
2013-01-01 7:38 AM

Nice 8 miler on an icy trail yesterday. Ice was jagged and covered in packed snow so footing and traction weren't bad other than a spot or two of a largish hill.

So...a few questions. I don't have a trainer and one's not going to be in the budget for a bit. For winter training I was thinking a spin class per week along with a session of just riding on the spin bike. I figured I'd play with resistance a bit so most of it was like a typical ride but throw some hills in to boot. The spin bikes at the gym don't have cadence or distance on them so I figured I'd log modest effort rides at 12 MPH. Your thoughts?

Swimming - this is going welll but like virtually all noobs I've not done any open water swims. I feel confident that I'll do reasonably well and I'm not spooked about getting josteled. However I've heard that sometimes you can get kicked hard enough to break goggles. Thoughts on dealing with that? Also, when the weather is nice once again and I get a chance to do some solo OWS, what are some ways to judge distance? I was thinking just doing time and perceived effort and whatever the distance is is what it is. Finally, can you talk a little bit about sighting and how to do that?

2013-01-01 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Ted , room for one more?

NAME: Yvonne

STORY: Turned 40, did my first tri oct 2011, sprint rambling rose and was hooked. i have officially completed my first year of triathlon, sadly got rained out of the rambling rose this past october (and darn it i think i could have won! lol). I did 4 sprint triathlons and many 5ks this last 12-16 months. Did a half marathon w team in training in 2006, so much fun. But got injured training for the next two events, first stress fracture in rgt tibia, then later one in left foot, then eventually one in right foot. So thought maybe tri would be better and so far it has been. Im in the middle of training for the nc half marathon in charlotte this march and the aches are starting. Got a new road bike in Last christmas,first ever, clip less pedals and all, so I'm finally getting the hang of that and had my inaugural, falling while standing still but still clipped in, moment so I'm good now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, 8 & 10 yo girls, both have done one tri and they are currently on a Youth Triathlon Team training for an event in May. My dh is also on board to tri a sprint this April. Working really hard to get the whole family on a healthier path with running and triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING: 1/2 marathon Jeff galloway program, consistently training 3 x week, but need to up this and get back to more s/b/r. Have gained about 15 pounds that needs to go

2013 RACES: NC half marathon charlotte speedway in march, expedition Everest 5k trail adventure race disney may, Smithfield triathlon April , muddy buddy Richmond April, shamrock 8k march, rev 3 sprint Sandusky, ramblin rose October and more but I'm still planning

2012 RACES: Azalea Sprint Tri (done!),Shamrock 8K (done!), Girls Run the World Sprint (done!), First in Flight 5K April 21(done), Warrior dash in may(done), Tower of Terror 5k Disney in Sept.(done) Ramblin Rose in oct. (started, but cancelled) many other 5ks

2011 RACES: Rambling rose sprint tri oct 2011 - my first one!

WEIGHTLOSS: Have lost 35 lbs in the last 14 months, gained some back, need to start logging food again!

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP: I love BT! Totally addicted! I'm reading all the posts, everything, and spending way too much time on this site lol. I find it really helpful to stay motivated by reading about everyone's journey and all the diverse backgrounds. I don't know many people locally so I use you all as virtual training buddies

Edited by Ybeal 2013-01-01 8:00 AM

2013-01-01 11:27 AM

Hi Ted, Happy New Year!  I'd be really interested in joining your group

NAME: Shaun

STORY: I used to run at high school and college level but 3years of uni and 5years working a stressful job with 24hour oncall put paid to any ambitions to maintain this.  In 2009 I left the private sector to work for a charity (I'm a service manager for a mental health group) which freed up some time and I began climbing and mountaineering again.  After a few big events and peaks (any excuse for an extended holiday!) I teamed up with a few work-mates and began entering 'assault course runs' for fundraising and managed to persuade several service users to join us in smaller distance runs.  The past two years I have been focusing mainly on running events but commute to work (16miles each way) on bike and am now strongly considering a triathlon this summer.  I have entered a duathlon in June as worry that my swimming may be too week for the full tri but hoping to train and attempt a half ironman after this (determined to get one in before I hit 30 in December).

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged, pet dog

CURRENT TRAINING: Running (35miles per week), cycling (average 16miles 4days per week, 32 miles one day with a long cycle every other weekend), occasional swimming (crawl is weak as favour breast-stroke).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Hellrunner fell half marathon, trail trekker 100k, Welsh 3000's challenge (fell), 2 road half marathons, 6 10k's and 3 5k's.

2013 RACES: Jan - Petzl Nightrunner 10k series, Garstang off-road 10k, Feb - Hellrunner hell in the middle half marathon, Mad-dog 10k, March - Liverpool Marathon, April - Blackpool Marathon, May - Chester half marathon, Rat race dirty weekend (20miles, 200 obstacles), June - city to summit duathlon (112mile cycle, 26.2 mile run from Edinburgh City centre to summit of Ben Nevis), October - Chester/Liverpool Marathon, November - Hell runner up north half mara, Mens health Survival of the fittest 10k, December - Pisa Marathon (Frorence)

WEIGHTLOSS: Nil - I'm trying to gain a little is anything - am 5'2" and 51kg

2013-01-01 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4556087

User image

New user

Area Man - 2013-01-01 8:38 AM

Nice 8 miler on an icy trail yesterday. Ice was jagged and covered in packed snow so footing and traction weren't bad other than a spot or two of a largish hill.

Area Man, I'm impressed at your outdoor run. I'm still recovering from a broken tailbone (stupid slip in July), so am really leery of anything that might engender a fall. But I find running on the treadmill to be much harder, in addition to boring. Fingers crossed for a thaw and a short winter!

Quick question to all: does anyone have a FitBit, and is it worthwhile? I've been offered one, and I'm not sure if it's actually the Second Coming or just a gimmick. Thanks!

2013-01-01 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Mark, Yvonne and Shaun, welcome to the group! 

Mark, are you already signed up for IMAZ?  It's probably already sold out.  That also sounds like an aggressive schedule, unless you've got a pretty good base.  And for resolutions, my wife had an odd way of encouraging me, when I came downstairs about three years ago, in my gym clothes, the quote was "we'll see how long this lasts".  Three years so far.  

Yvonne, sounds like a good year, too bad about the injuries, but it seems to be pretty common.  And congrats on the weight loss!  And, everyone falls eventually with clipless pedals, it's just a matter of time.  It happens even more mountain biking, since you have a lot of "surprise" stops where you can't unclip fast enough.

Shaun, it sounds like you're in Great Britain, based on the races, and the names of the cities?  It sounds like you have a good based for running and biking, so swimming is the next thing to work on.  Many people don't have an opportunity to swim in open water on a regular basis, so it can be intimidating.  The best thing to do is spend time in the pool to get as strong as possible.  And remember with triathlons, you can dog-paddle and still be legal, there is no required stroke to swim!  I've seen people doing back stroke, breast, etc.  They won't be the fastest, but it's good to remember this if open water is a source of anxiety.

Edited by tcj103 2013-01-01 6:54 PM
2013-01-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4555754

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
fishwallop - 2012-12-31 7:31 PM

I was under the impression that TrainerRoad's Virtual Power was more precise than accurate (that is, the power levels for two similar workouts would be reported similarly, but wouldn't necessarily be the same power as a true power meter would show).

I did the 20 minute test a few weeks ago, but I should probably do it again after getting a few more rides in so that I can better gauge how hard I can sustain for 20 minutes.

This is correct, but it is also exactly what you are looking for it doesn't really matter what it says your FTP is as long as you can train reliably against that number and see it increase as you get stronger.

I do the 20 minute test every couple of weeks. I found the first time I did it I didn't really push as hard as I could. The 20 minute test also calculates your LTHR (Lactate Threshold Heart Rate) which is very useful in calculating your HR zones instead of relying on trying to find your max hr.

The sufferfest videos will teach you to suffer and you will learn when you are pushing as hard as you can. The 20 minute test's now scare me.

I started logging my food again with Myfitnesspal, so far it has kept me from going for a few snacks just because I didn't feel like having to grab my phone and log them. haha.

2013-01-01 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4556087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Nice!  You can get Yaktrax, they're like snow chains for your shoes, or make your own studded shoes with sheet metal screws.

So...a few questions. I don't have a trainer and one's not going to be in the budget for a bit. For winter training I was thinking a spin class per week along with a session of just riding on the spin bike. I figured I'd play with resistance a bit so most of it was like a typical ride but throw some hills in to boot. The spin bikes at the gym don't have cadence or distance on them so I figured I'd log modest effort rides at 12 MPH. Your thoughts?

Spinning is better than nothing, and turning up the knob is certainly better than not.  If you come off the spin bike and your shirt is soaked, it's all good.  The problem with spin classes is people sometimes don't push themselves that hard.  Almost every class I finish, I could use a mop to clean the floor around my bike, and my shirt could be rung out.  If not, it's a recovery ride the day after a race, when I just want to stay loose.  Spinning by yourself can be a challenge due to boredom.  That's where I like to use Sufferfest videos.  I've even kept them on my iphone, so when traveling I can do one in the hotel gym.

Swimming - this is going welll but like virtually all noobs I've not done any open water swims. I feel confident that I'll do reasonably well and I'm not spooked about getting josteled. However I've heard that sometimes you can get kicked hard enough to break goggles. Thoughts on dealing with that? Also, when the weather is nice once again and I get a chance to do some solo OWS, what are some ways to judge distance? I was thinking just doing time and perceived effort and whatever the distance is is what it is. Finally, can you talk a little bit about sighting and how to do that?

Open water can be intimidating, it can get pretty crowded at the start.  If you're not the fastest swimmer, I recommend moving towards the back of the pack at the start, assuming they're doing deep water wave starts.  That way you won't get run over by the fast folks.  You still may get caught by waves behind you, but that will be a few minutes into the swim.  At least the start will be uneventful.  Part of the problem is everyone is treading water at first, so we're "standing up".  Then when the gun goes off, we all start swimming, which takes up a lot more space, and we get all bunched up.

The other point where you get bunched up is at buoys, where turns are.  Everyone heads for them, so it's like a choke point.

For siting, an instructor once recommended popping your head up to look straight ahead during the breathing cycle every once in a while.  This can be practiced in the pool as well.

2013-01-02 5:38 AM
in reply to: #4557037

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
tcj103 - 2013-01-01 9:38 PM

That's where I like to use Sufferfest videos.  I've even kept them on my iphone, so when traveling I can do one in the hotel gym.

This is a great idea, I never even thought of that, I will be on vacation for a week in February and I will use this tip then. Thanks

2013-01-02 11:01 AM

New user

Grove City
Well....here I am wanting to train for my first sprint. My story in a nutshell, joined the Army right out of highschool in 1986 and stayed for 20 years. I woud say I was very competitive phycically, being a female, wanting not to be outdone by my male counterparts. I did airborne school, air-assault school and even scored my combat medical badge. All in all...LOVED the Army. My husband and I had our son in 2005 and a year later I retired. After moving home, I promptly began gaining weight. At 5ft....any weight it too much. I eventually tipped the scale at 157 which again, might not seem much but at 5ft tall I was porky. I decided enough was enough and wanted to get back into the shape. In the Army it was easy to stay in shape...on my own I had to dig deep and find the will power. Started doing the eliptical and walking and eating right and the weight dripped off. Got back into fighting shape but after that I slacked off and started gaining it back. So started this yo-yo of gaining and losing. Last year about this time a friend challenged me to do a half marathon. "ARE YOU CRAZY" I said..."I HATE running." Up until then I had done everything but. But the challenge stuck and I started running 1 Jan 2012 and in May did the Flying Pig half marathon in Cinci. After that (because I still hate to run) I picked up biking and started riding...first 5 then 10 miles. Then I did a couple 26 mile tours. LOVE biking. My main problem with working out is having a buddy. My old man is not into it. I can't get anyone I know motivated to bike or work out with me. It is HARD!! I've packed on a few pounds lately and let myself creep back up to 145...not happy about that. However, my goals this year include Warrior Dash Indiana in August and the would like to do a sprint in July. SO - time to get moving. Found this website today and hope to get some motivation and advice! I am open!!
2013-01-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4557854

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

suestew67 - 2013-01-02 12:01 PM My main problem with working out is having a buddy. My old man is not into it. I can't get anyone I know motivated to bike or work out with me. It is HARD!!

You can probably find a local tri club to join that will keep you motivated. Our local tri club has different training sessions scheduled every week and there is always someone looking to workout together on the club forums.

You can also check with the local bike shops (LBS) and see if they have any scheduled group rides. 

2013-01-02 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

suestew67, welcome to the group! 

Ditto what John/Wolfador said.  You may also find running with a group helpful, so you don't hate it so much.  Try local running shoe stores, they usually do group runs.  Not a foot locker or chain, look for running-specific, mom-and-pop type stores.  They're also good places to go for shoes.  They usually have very knowledgeable folks who can fix any issues you may have, and get you in the right type of shoe.

Your story is a bit like mine, I was in the Army National Guard, so I had a similar experience doing "just enough" to stay in the weight/height requirements.  Plus it really wasn't that hard as I got into my 40's.  Having a cross country running background, the 2 mile run for the PT test was never much of a challenge for me.  About a month before the PT test I could run a few times, and I'd know I could nail it.

Retiring from the Guard a couple years ago, plus being in my mid-40's, I really started to put on the weight.  Three years ago I joined a local gym so I could swim year round, the idea being to "stop getting fatter".  It has worked out better than I was ever expecting.  I could crush any of my PT test scores going back to a few years after basic/AIT or flight school.

On the topic of flight school, and looking at your user id; my Instructor Pilot for the Apache AQC course in the fall of 2002 was CW2 John Tew; I thought he said his wife was also in the Army.  Any connection?

2013-01-02 12:43 PM

Hi all,

Yes Ted, I'm in the UK, living on the coast of the North West. Quite a nice place for training really as a lot of long open coastal roads and the sea/local marinas for open water. There are a few tri-clubs locally, many of whom I've shared a brew and a clif bar with at races. Great guys but my work schedule is horrendous and they slightly intimidate me as many do ultras regularly and are seriosly fit. My first ever marathon will be April (I think on my intro it reads liverpool in March but that's a half - joys of using a mobile for forums).
2013-01-02 1:05 PM

New user

Rockwall

Ted, I'd like to join your group, anything with monkey in the title has to be fun!Tongue out

NAME: Timtroup/ Tim

STORY: Retired in June after 24 years in the USAF and kinda fell apart, quit working out, started enjoying beer to much, etc, etc.  Always been into running/biking/swimming and had done a few sprint tri's but never fully got into it.  In November, I was at 230 pounds and was generally not in good health, high blood pressure, sleep apnea.  I decided I needed 1) a new hobby and 2) I needed to make a change to do my best to be around a little longer. Started the HIM training profile (lofty goal) and have been pretty much consistent.  Looking forward to meeting my goal of losing about 60 pounds, 1/4 way there now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 21 years, 43, four kids (one married, 3 at home, 18, 14, 13), 3 mini schnauzers

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm on the beginner triathlete HIM training program, keeping consistent with the training profile so far.  Maintaing biking with indoor trainer/outdoors when its nice, running, swimming at the local YMCA.

2012 RACES: One 1/2 marathon, a few 5k's, a 225 mile relay race (21 miles in three sets, eight hours apart), was signed up for two sprint tri's but other events precluded my attending.

2013 RACES: Signed up for first HIM in April (nervous already), couple 5k's, a 10k, one half marathon and one sprint tri before the HIM to get into the racing mindset for the year.  Plan is to do a race a month from June-December

WEIGHTLOSS: Started at 230 lbs on Nov 25, down to 212, goal is to be less than 175 by November.

2013-01-02 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Silver member
Hi Ted,

Looks like you may still be open. This would be my first time joining a mentor group. Thanks for the opportunity.

I am 49 and have been training about 18 months. I did my first OLY distance last March (time was not respectable..but I finished) and plan to do the same this year. My goal is to finish a HIM in October 2013(Goose pond HIM, Scottsboro, AL).

I currently serve overseas (Kenya) in the Army and will be returning back to the US in July.

I have a wife of 23 years, and 3 boys (18, 14, 11).

Like many I have a 50+ hour work week, but also have some time flexibility. That said, my log times tend to be inversely proportional to my work load for the week. I will have several good weeks and then crump for a week...

I love the sport, but can't afford to take it too serious....at 49, things just don't work like they used to...

Thanks again for starting the group. I am looking forward to moving forward if permitted to join.

clinicisopen / Shon
2013-01-02 3:20 PM

New user

I want in too!  This is what sold me:  GROUP FOCUS: Olympic and HIM distance, weight loss while still enjoying food!!!  OMG that is so ME!

NAME: rschwieterman / Bob Schwieterman

STORY: I was once a was an athlete and uber sports fan, but you would never believe it if you saw or talked to me now.  I look horrendous, and scarcely know the what is going on in the sports world. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Brenda for 24 1/2 years, with 4 children, a dog, but no cats.  Our youngest child leaves for college next fall, !

CURRENT TRAINING: Just starting back.  I did a sprint triathlon 15 years ago, and another in 2011, but fell completely back on to the couch and am just now getting up.  Of the three events, swimming is my favorite, next biking, and a distant third is the run.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Sprint Triathlons, duathlons and some 5 and 10 k's.  My goal is to lose buches of weight and become much more active, and to reacqaint myself with the outdoors and the sporting world.  Hopefully I put myself in a position to do an Olympic (Chicago?) in 2014.

WEIGHTLOSS: Did I mention I love food?  I weigh way too much.  6'0", 178.3 pounds, just 10 pounds from my all time high.  I need to put races in front of me, I feel, in order for me to stick with this long term.  Exercise and working out do not come naturally.  My plan is to lose 30 pounds or so BEFORE I even consider jogging/running -  in order to save my knees and joints from cruel and unusual punishment.  My parents have had 6 out 8 of their combined knees and hips replaced, so I reckon I will be a candidate someday for at least new knees.

Following the Body for Life regimen, using iPhone Apps, BFL, MyFitnessPal and JEFIT PRO.  I have a Garmin 405 watch with heart rate monitor.  I love statistics and tracking this stuff, plus it holds me accountable.

Here's to a transformative 2013

2013-01-02 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Ted,

I would like to join your group.

Name: TomsTri-ing / Tom Lakatos

Story: Last year I began training for a tri at 52, 220 lbs at 5'9".  I remember watching the Ironman in Hawaii back in the 80's, and somehow it always stuck with me that I wanted to tri it!  So I joined a group last year, did 3 sprints and a duo.  I'm now down to about 195 to 200 depending on the day of the week and the pizza of the day. 

What makes this extra interesting is that I was born with a congenital heart defect and had open heart surgery in 1966.  I currently have a defibrillator (battery back up) and my cardiologist is happy I'm training.

Family Status: Currently divorced, one son (24), and a dog

Current training:  New defibrillator "installed" in early November.  Started training again in late November.

This year's races:  HM on April 7th in Atlantic City (April Fools HM), 8K at Rutgers, Riverwinds at the end of April.  NJ State Tri in July.  More to come as I see "fit"

May sign up for NYC tri which is an OLY

"May the Legs Be With You"

Tom

Edited by TomsTri-ing 2013-01-02 3:24 PM
2013-01-02 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - FULL

Tim, Shon, Bob and Tom, welcome to the group, just made it in!

Tim: Looks like you're well on your way losing weight, I was amazed at how many medical issues either go away, or get a lot better with weight loss.  A friend at my gym recently lost some weight, he noticed a knee problem he's had for years is gone; all it took was losing about 30 lbs.

Shon: Nairobi, wow!  Didn't know the Army had any presence there.

Bob: 6'0", and 178?  Is that a typo?  That sounds like a pretty good weight.  I'm on MFP as well, look for my message on the first page if you want to connect there.  A couple of us have started that already.  Though no requirement for the group.  My personal experience with MFP is that the calories burned for exercise are pretty optimistic, at least for me.  If I plug in running at a certain pace for a certain time, and compare that with calculated calories from my Garmin 310 (which includes heart rate in the calculations) I get about 25% less calories, so I go with that.

For swimming, I created a custom exercise, calling it "1 lap Freestyle".  I found on a swimming site, a rule of thumb for calories/mile/pound body weight.  The number they have is 2.93 calories/mile/pound.  Right now I'm 165, so that would be 483 calories per mile.  I can do a mile in about 30 minutes in the pool, so a little under 1000 cal/hour is about right.  If I knocked out a two mile swim at a workout pace, that would be a pretty good workout for me.

I then take the 483, and divide by 36, since I'm in a 25 yard pool (36 laps, as in out an back being one lap) is a mile.  So 483/36 is 13.4.

So in the "minutes" part to enter, it's actually laps, so however far I swim, I put in the laps, and it calculates my calories.

Tom: Wow, is the defibrillator different from a pacemaker?  You're an inspiration to those with medical conditions who refuse to accept limitations.  I developed seizures a few years ago, ending my flying days.  Triathlon has kind of replaced that, in fact my last EEG was completely normal, as far as I know the first one I've had that's been "normal". 

I'll probably do Bassman (spring) sprint again this year, it's in Lake Absegami State Forest, in Tuckerton NJ

Edited by tcj103 2013-01-02 8:08 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  

of 5