General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim question: What role do your upper arm play in the pull? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-25 11:44 AM

Subject: Swim question: What role do your upper arm play in the pull?
It is a bit hard to describe but so far I have always been pulling with my lower arm, i.e. my focus has been on pulling the forearm and hand through the water and ignoring the upper arm. I feel the result has been a quite short pull because either my hand would exit water quite early or my forearm would only be perpendicular to the water surface maybe 1/3 of the pull.

Yesterday, I then tried to focus on pulling with my upper arm, i.e. it was kind of the lever and my forearm was just following along (still focusing on having EVF). It seems like I generated a lot more power with the pull this way and also my lats seemed to be working harder. It also seems like I was slightly faster but many factors could have contributed.

So I guess my question is: Do you ignore your upper arm or do you indeed control the pull with your upper arm and 'just' let the forearm tack along?

A.

2012-12-25 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4547568

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: Swim question: What role do your upper arm play in the pull?

It might feel counterintuitive at first but you actually want to keep your forearm and wrist relaxed, to a point. You want that perpendicular form, but the actual pulling power should be generated with what feels like your lats/biceps/triceps. (generally in that order).

I never really "felt" the pull from my biceps until I got really good at competing in backstroke, but you definitely want to feel the force upper arm. Make sure you get a full extension by using your triceps as well, it'll lengthen your stroke and make you a lot more efficient. However its really hard to adjust this yourself without watching and imitating a really good swimmer or, much more preferable, having a coach help you out.

2012-12-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4547607

User image

Expert
McAllen

Something I've toyed around with is actually generating force with your core muscles, and starting your stroke from what feels like your trunk and not necessarily your arms. Its a really awkward feel but if I'm doing a doomsday swim, swimming 200m like that will give me a decent break to get back to my regular stroke (and I didn't lose MUCH speed. Maybe :05/100).

...not sure if anyone wants to chime in on this or if anyone knows what I'm talking about, though :p

Edited by odpaul7 2012-12-25 12:48 PM
2012-12-25 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4547568

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
andreasjs - 2012-12-25 10:44 AM

It is a bit hard to describe but so far I have always been pulling with my lower arm, i.e. my focus has been on pulling the forearm and hand through the water and ignoring the upper arm. I feel the result has been a quite short pull because either my hand would exit water quite early or my forearm would only be perpendicular to the water surface maybe 1/3 of the pull.

Yesterday, I then tried to focus on pulling with my upper arm, i.e. it was kind of the lever and my forearm was just following along (still focusing on having EVF). It seems like I generated a lot more power with the pull this way and also my lats seemed to be working harder. It also seems like I was slightly faster but many factors could have contributed.

So I guess my question is: Do you ignore your upper arm or do you indeed control the pull with your upper arm and 'just' let the forearm tack along?

A.

Sounds like you are figuring something out. Keep up with it and take some video if possible to evaluate your stroke
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim question: What role do your upper arm play in the pull? Rss Feed