BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2012-12-30 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4548156

Subject: RE: T3 Spring training 2013 - OPEN
Whats up Dave! And hello to all in the group. My name is Isaac. I am 35 years old. I am married with one teenage son. I work as an emergency specialized RN in a local trauma center here in Tulsa OK. I am lucky to be able to train with dave several times per week. I have been a member of Dave's tri team T3 for several months now and have improved my fitness and race times in all 3 disciplines of triathalon. Although I have put in a great deal of hard work and logged many hours of training i believe it is Dave's leadership/friendship that has allowed me to improve at a rate that I never would have attained on my own. I very much look forward to training and racing in the upcoming season as well as encouraging and learning with members of this T3 online group.

2012-12-30 9:00 AM

User image

Dave, I have a Trek Madone 5 carbon road bike with an 11-25 rear gear & I just got a set of clamp on aero bars for Christmas, can't wait to try them out (however I'm stuck with a spinning class until the ice melts). I joined Lifetime fitness a couple months ago so I at least have the option of the spinning classes that I have been hitting a couple per week I try to make the weekly 2hr "movie ride" on Sunday. My swim needs a lot of help so I have been focusing on the swim primarily, I joined a swim group & I think I will be ready for the masters group next month. I did 2500 meters last week with 2 800 meter swim days (total, I can't do it straight yet). Thanks for your time with the group! Tim
2012-12-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4553682

User image

Veteran
jenks

Welcome to our new three group members.    Angela, Isaac, and Keri.    it sounds like the swim is going to need the most work.   I am going to put up two approaches to the swim to get improvement.   But first I need everyone to set a baseline so we know where we are making improvements.    The next time you go swim, I would like you to swim two distances and keep your time.   swim a 100 yd or meter and a 250 yd or meter which ever distance your pool is.   

plan 1.   (for those that are not comfortable in the water or struggle to get in distance)

We are going to do lots of repeat shorter distances.    Lets start at swimming one lap at a time at a comfortable pace.    One lap normally means 50 yds some people might have a 50yd length pool so you can make adjustments. 

WOD =

Drills- most pools offer swim bouys.   I want you to swim one direction with a swim bouy between your legs so just your arms pull.    focus on reaching out and your thumb should brush your leg just above the knee to finish your stroke.  

4 x swim 1/2 lap with bouy then back with out it.   next lap swim first bouy second.  

8 lap easy pace (200 yrds)  

45 sec recovery between each lap.   

Plan 2.   (if you are comfortable swimming)  

WU of 150 or 200 yds. 

3 x 200 moderate effort, the third one should be a challenge.   try to keep all three within 10 secs of the others on time.  

half your time to recover.   

swim an easy 200 to finish.  

2012-12-30 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Spokane

Hello Dave,

I'd like to join if you have room

Name: Jimmy (42 years old)

Story:  This is my 2nd year of doing triathlons.  I did a Sprint, HIM, and an Olympic last year.  Along with several 10k races. This year I will probably do 2-3 Olympic races and maybe 1 HIM later in the year (depending on my fitness).  Out of the three distances the Olympic was very much my favorite. My goal this year though is to be as competitive as I can be at the Olympic distance.

Family Status:  Married for 12 years.  I have a 8 & 10 Year old. My wife does a couple of Sprint distances a year.

Current training: Right now I'm doing some unstructured training. I'm running about 25 mpw. I live in the Pacific Northwest so biking outside is not an option right now.  I'm using Trainerroad & Sufferfest for about 3 hours a week. These are awesome!!   I'm not swimming much. Maybe only about 1-2 times per week about 1000 yards each session. 

I haven't logged any workouts since my epic failure from my HIM last August.  I"ll start logging again.

I don't have any weight loss goals.

Cheers

2012-12-30 11:40 AM

User image

Austin
Dave,

I hope you are still accepting new members. My usrr Id is macm and name is Michael.

I am 31 with one boy and engaged to be married in March. I completed one Tri in 2010, but have yet to gt back in shape since then and now trying out a 13 week sprint prep program. I will start posting workouts today.

Thanks, Michael
2012-12-30 11:42 AM

New user
Outside Nashville

I am pretty new to swimming for exercise / sport so I am far behind the curve ball however, I am very comfortable in the water and once I figure out how to breath correctly during freestyle I will much further along.  I am waiting on a call next week to set up my appointments with the local coach.  

On another note ... I had a great leg / shoulder workout yesterday and here in about an hour I will off for a jog.  I hope everyone has a great day!

2012-12-30 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4553833

User image

Veteran
jenks
Subject: RE: T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed

Alright we added in our last few members.    littlewj and macm.   I will go through some logs today.

Welcome to the group guys and lets have some fun training.  

2012-12-30 3:21 PM

New user
Outside Nashville

I had a decent jog today; the start was painful with a flare up of shin splints but halfway through they finally calmed down and I was able to finish with a very taxing 4 minute run interval.  I ended up having one of my faster 5k times of 45:10.  I may have had trouble due to having strength training for legs yesterday and a very good strenuous workout at that.  My legs are now officially jello!

I normally take a day off the day after my leg / shoulder strength training but I had to use an off day on Christmas because of work / gym closure.  I was inactive for so long that off days scare me to death of a life I hope I never return to; I also feel like a slug on off days.  My biggest hurdle currently is resting as much as I should and not over training.

Dave I logged my last 3 workouts and I plan I logging all of them from here forward.  I don't plan on logging nutrition because Its painstaking ... however, I can email summary's from the application I use.  It is called "Loose it"

2012-12-31 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4554076

User image

Veteran
jenks

nice work!  What did you do this weekend?  any new years workouts planned.   I have a leg burner crossfit for 2013 start.  

8 rounds each round for time.  30 second recovery.  

30 walking lunges with 15 lbs ab twist

30 box jumps 15lbs

20 crossfit crunches.  

my swim baseline times

100yds 1:22

250 yds 4:00

Have a safe new years.

Edited by handyhammer 2012-12-31 2:33 PM
2012-12-31 11:12 AM

New user
Outside Nashville

I think I am going to utilize a rest day tomorrow.  My gym is closed and the more I thought about jogging the more I realized my legs have had 3 pretty strenuous days so I may rest.  I have trained for 6 days in a row now so I don't feel to bad.  

I plan on doing my first indoor cycle class Wed. though and I do believe I will jog a bit afterwards.

Happy New Year to everyone!

2012-12-31 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I'm looking forward to kicking off the year with a great day of training tomorrow.  I've been sick and fighting off a cold now for 4 days but am hopeful of a good night's sleep and that i will be able to get some work done come morning.  I hate being sick but am trying to look at the bright side, I had no training scheduled for this 4 day period leading up to New Year's anyway, so if I had to get sick, I guess this was the best time.

2013 will be a great year, Let's get it started right!

2012-12-31 7:42 PM

New user
Outside Nashville

Okay I have a few admissions and questions.  

First off I will say that I have small issues with social anxiety.  It can be very difficult for me to readily blend into and interact with a group, new place, activities etc.  I can not answer why and this has always been the case (except for at work for some reason I have no issues when working with the public).  I suppose it may be a confidence issue however, on to the point.

1) What are the indoor spinning classes like?  What should I expect / take with me etc..

2) Do you currently use Lycra shorts for your indoor swimming?  If so what is a good brand, how do they fit (like compression gear?).

3) Do you recommend using an indoor bike trainer / stand to become accustom to a new bike or is it best to just hit the road?

I apologize for the silly questions but the info will make it easier for myself to move forward.  

Thanks,

Mark

2013-01-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4555833

User image

Regular
Spokane

I can't comment on the spin classes because I've never been to any either.  It looks like a lot of fun though.  I'd like to try a class out sometime. 

As far as swimming shorts, I have been using lycra/spandex shorts that I bought from swimoutlet.com for about $25.  They don't last but maybe 4-6 months depending on how often I swim. The chlorine seems to disintegrate them.  I'm looking at my shorts now and I can almost see right through them. It's time for a new pair. There is another material that some manufacturers make that won't fade and lasts for years.  I'm not sure what it is though? 

As far as using the bike trainer to acclimate yourself to a new bike, I believe it just depends on your comfort level.  I don't think it's a bad idea by any means. I was able to get on my bike at age 40 after not riding any bikes since I was a teenager just fine.  It took me about an hour on the road to feel very comfortable. I started off in a parking lot with non-existant traffic and rode in circles for a while.

As far as my training is concerned, I can't do anything for the next couple of days.  I've got family in from out of town & I'm fighting a dang cough/cold/flu deal. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have a normal schedule and feel healthy again.

HAPPY NEW YEAR GROUP!!!

2013-01-01 1:33 PM

User image

Spinning classes can vary greatly depending on the instructor and the length of the class. At my gym we have three different options by design, 45 min that seems to focus on zone 4 & maybe 5, 1 hour where they bounce between zones 3 & 4 and a 2 hour "movie ride" that takes the place of a weekly road ride. The movie ride is a go at whatever pace/intensity you wish. I like the spinning classes due to the variation in speed and intensity level that I probably wouldn't do as much variation on my own. I also like them because the bikes are so adjustable to make them fit like my own bike and the have clip less pedals so I can clip in and get as close to an apples to apples workout. If you have access to a spin class try it a few times and see if you like it. People wear everything in the classes from bike shorts & jerseys to t-shirts & shorts. I usually wear tri shorts for the long days & shorts for the others.Tim

Edited by BigAirT 2013-01-01 1:34 PM
2013-01-01 1:38 PM

User image

Dave, Should we be posting our workouts on here or just in our logs, or should we highlight here with more technical info on the log? Thanks, Tim
2013-01-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4555833

User image

Veteran
jenks

Hey those are some good questions.    first question not on this post, was about your logs.   put your workouts there and I will take a look at them.  I am going to put some workouts up on the forum as examples and other ideas to keep workouts interesting.   If you get a good one please share it.  

1.  spin classes vary alot.   it really depends on the instructor, but I would say 90 percent are good classes and you will burn good calories and build some great power in the legs for the bike.    Dont worry about the other people with in 3 minutes you all will be huffing and puffing so much you wont notice anyone and they wont notice you.    Items to take a bike water bottle to fit the cup holder, I like to take a hand towel to keep the sweat out of my eyes.   

2 On the swim shorts,  I use the lyca swimshorts that look to be pasted on.  I buy them at swimoutlet.com   normally for less than 15 bucks a pair, should last about 4 months.    if you see them start to get the little white fibers in the crotch area.   get a new pair fast you are close to a blow out.  (per experience)   

3.  bike trainer.  I like the bike trainer through the winter to keep up some miles, it is also great to be able to make some adjustment to seat height, bars ect.    After you make some adjustments go hit the road for a bit to make sure it really works and is comfortable.   You do not have to worry about stability on a trainer so sometimes we sit on a bike a little different.  You bike shop should also get you fit in a bit to get started.  

2013-01-01 11:19 PM

New user
Outside Nashville

My training plan for tomorrow as going to be spin class straight into some time on the tread mill however, for the last three days I have been having some minor pain about halfway up my shin that is pinpoint and about the size of a quarter.  The pain persist's during rest but is not constant.  I feel it throb every 2-3 minutes then it goes away, then back again.  The pain is never greater than a 2/10 and it seems to remain constant / without change during walking, stairs etc.  I will also note that yesterday I tried to test it out by hopping on one foot and it did not change the pain at all. 

So should I run tomorrow?  Or should I just swim 4-600 yards prior to spin class?

2013-01-02 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4557190

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
You may want to take a day or two off from the running and just concentrate on the spinning and swimming.  Just my 2 cents but i had some similar problems with ankles and shins last year when i started running.  I didn't want to do it but i ended up taking a few days off and concentrating on the lower impact activities.  When my swelling/pain went away i went back to running with no future problems.  I guess my body just needed time to adjust to the new stresses i was placing on it.
2013-01-02 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4557190

User image

Veteran
jenks

I agree with dominions statement.   Also if you stretch out the front of your shin that will help.   That can be done by sitting on your heals or use a foam roller or ball.   Let us know how spin class goes. 

2013-01-02 4:00 PM

New user
Outside Nashville

Well I missed the spin class lol.  I misread the schedule and was arriving when it ended.  I decided to do some strength training and I reluctantly ran 2 miles on the treadmill afterwards.  I only had some minor discomfort but my left leg is pretty sore now.  On a positive note I had a great workout lol.  

2013-01-02 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4558593

User image

Veteran
jenks
That made me laugh, and I needed one today.   I feel like I have been kicked in the head with sinus pressure.    I will be checking in at night for the next week, it is time to do a little ski cross training.  

2013-01-03 8:58 AM

New user
Outside Nashville

I had a pretty good swim workout this morning before work.  I finally used a pool bouy and it worked great.  I should have been doing drills with one for the last 3 weeks.  I can definately concentrate on my rotation and breathing during the drills. 

Glad I could give you a laugh Handy!  I hope everyone has a great day.

2013-01-04 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4558906

User image

Veteran
jenks
Well I hope everyone has some good workouts this weekend.   I am going to get in skiing.    Just for the record i passed my national registry test.   
2013-01-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4562002

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Congrats on the national registry. First try? That's impressive.
2013-01-04 7:01 PM

New user
Outside Nashville
Congratulations on the pass.  I am curious how the new testing is, I took mine the old fashion way lol.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 17