BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-01-02 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4558225

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - OPEN!

Hey Welcome Sarah!

How was Rev3 last year? I really want to go back to Cedar Point at some point. Loved it when I did it.

2013-01-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4558594

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Leegoocrap - 2013-01-02 5:01 PM

Hey Welcome Sarah!

How was Rev3 last year? I really want to go back to Cedar Point at some point. Loved it when I did it.

It was great! The weather was perfect, except for a bit of rain during the last couple of miles, but I didn't really care that much by then...

2013-01-02 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Cleveland OH

Ok so David and Chris,

so I am new to this mentor thing and just wanted to know how much info you want from me, us,  I am tracking my food intake, I can share if you want.  Do you want me to put my training in this forumn or in my training log?  Do I need to add you as a friend for you to see my training log?  (I can't figure out how to add people as friends)  I don't know if im jumping the gun, if maybe you were going to tell us this stuff or not.  Thanks, im kinda excited I guess.

Todd Smith

2013-01-03 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4559025

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
smithat05 - 2013-01-02 9:42 PM

Ok so David and Chris,

so I am new to this mentor thing and just wanted to know how much info you want from me, us,  I am tracking my food intake, I can share if you want.  Do you want me to put my training in this forumn or in my training log?  Do I need to add you as a friend for you to see my training log?  (I can't figure out how to add people as friends)  I don't know if im jumping the gun, if maybe you were going to tell us this stuff or not.  Thanks, im kinda excited I guess.

Todd Smith

Hey Todd,

When we get filled up I was going to go over what all I'd "like" for everyone to do. (And also get us a list to put in our profiles of each others handle/name)

I'd prefer everyone in the group friended each other, and it makes any discussions about fitness/training a LOT easier to talk about if you have your logs updated on BT.

From the tech side, to add people to your friends list you need to go to "training log" and then in the left tab where it says "friends" there is a + button to click. That'll take you to the screen that let's you add people.

Sorry it may take a day or two for us to really get rolling, Since it's going to be me and David both checking in on things I thought I'd get a few more people in the group than I usually do.

2013-01-03 6:42 AM

User image

Cleveland OH
Ok Thanks Chris,
Todd Smith
2013-01-03 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Hey guys I'd love to join an active group.  When I first signed up on the site last year all the groups were closed so I'd love to get in one for some added motivation this year.

NAME:  Jon (jonD81)

STORY:  I'm 31 years old, 6'6" and about 240-250.  It seems like a ton of weight, but spread out over 78" it's not that bad.  I'm roughly 22% BF.  I've been athletically active for as long as I can remember between baseball, golf, basketball, I think I've been in every type of rec sports league one can find.  I started doing triathlon last summer and did 1 sprint and in retrospect I should have done a lot more races (running, biking, whatever) leading up to it.  I never did any kind of race of any type before my tri and it was a very strange (humbling) feeling to get my butt handed to me and suck the amount of wind (and water) that I did on the course. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for going on 5 years with a 18 month year old boy (profile pic).  The kid is my life, however I want him to grow up knowing his dad works hard to accomplish what he wants, so I try not to use the kid as a crutch for missing workouts and such.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Right now I'm kind of in intake mode in regards to what I want to do for a scheduled training and how I want to go about accomplishing it.  I'm reading various books about how to set up my training plan and what it should consist of, all while just building up some base miles, which I still believe will benefit me more than anything.  I've put off swimming for quite some time and I've finally signed up at the Y and am starting to get used to the water and looking forward to taking some lessons.  I have my bike in the basement with trainer road hooked up and made some great improvements in the last month in regards to my FTP and how I generally feel when I ride.  I ran a 10k on 1/1/13 in 48:34 which is right around my 8min/mile base that I've been working on by doing multiple 4-6 mile runs per week.  My "theory" right now with my training is to build.  The swim is totally open as I'm essentially a virgin, so I know just getting in the pool and taking lessons will have a huge impact on me.  Biking I'm doing 1 hour rides with mixes of intervals, and some longer duration lower zone stuff as well.  Running right now I want to hit 8 min/mile for whatever length I choose to go.  I've been adding distance slowly and been pretty consistent in the 8mm pace, so I'm satisfied with that.

2012 RACES:  Wallis Sands Sprint - 1:34:xx - Horrible swim, biked on a mountain bike because I found a crack in the frame of my road bike 2 days before the race, and the run was the run.  I also did a few 5k's, a 5 miler and a 10k and was happy with all my running results.

2013 RACES:  I'm still planning out my 2013, but right now my plan is to do 1 race per month (possibly more in the summer), whatever "kind" of race that is, 5k, 10k, tri, swim, bike, etc.  I've got a 10k sprint bike race time trial at the end of January that I'd like to participate in if I can get my bike in proper working order.  Strictly for triathlon I'd like to do some sprints, an oly and if I can find a good HIM I'd love to do one later in the year possibly September, although I would want to figure that out soon so I could get the proper mileage in.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Not sure if it's really a goal to lose weight, but a happy benefit from the (hopeful) amount of training that I'll be doing, some weight will be coming off.  I have some serious issues with BMI and what weight I "Should be" according to charts and doctors.  I won't rant on it here.

GOALS: Finish strong.  I honestly think I can take 15 minutes off my sprint time with no problem.  I'd love to run a 7mm 5k and I know I can do an Olympic Tri, it's just a matter of wanting to do it well in my eyes.  I need to man up and commit, but that's what I'm looking for out of a good mentor group, some accountability.

2013-01-03 7:23 AM

User image

Cleveland OH

trying to get signed up for some races before prices go up again, 

Do you think doing a Oly june 9th,  July 7th and Aug 4th is too much too quick?  Then I have the Half Marathon already signed up for on Oct 13th.

The Oly I did last year is the July 7th one so I really would like to do that again.  and Aug 4th is Cleveland Tri, so that is like 20 mins away, would be pretty convienent.

Todd

2013-01-03 7:39 AM

Columbus, OH

I started reading through all the posts here, but I suppose I have to get some work done today... I'll finish up later.  The point being, not sure how many people you have be I'd like to apply for the group if there's still room!

A quick bio:

NAME: Charlie Wlodyka (silent 'W' - Load-i-ca)

STORY:  I play football from 2nd grade through college.  Having suffered a neck injury and subsequent knee surgery by football days were done prior to my Senior year.  Through rehab after knee surgery they had me running and I eventually took to the sport.  I've been a pretty serious runner (loose term - I don't take anything too seriously) for the last 6 years or so and have completed 5 marathons, including 2 Boston marathons.  Last year an old football injury (so I'm told) arose through my running, I had torn cartilage and loose bone chips in my ankle.  I had surgery last December and it's been a long road to recovery.  The doc told me I wouldn't be allowed to run for a year so I started biking in the summer once I was able and took up swimming a couple months ago.  Just last month I had my final follow-up MRI on my ankle and the doctor cleared me to run again.  With that, I have enjoyed my time biking and swimming and want to keep up with it and decided to compelte my first tri this year.  I don't know where, I don't know when, and I don't know how.... but i'll get to all those soon.

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm married. 28 years old.  Live in Columbus, OH.

CURRENT TRAINING: 

Cycling:  2 days a week on a regular basis. Normal rides are about 45 minutes long, a long ride right would be about 90 - 100 minutes (inside training now). 

Swimming: 2-3 days a week.  This is by far my weakest link, altho I feel I've come a long way in just a couple months, but I have a long way to go to improve on form. 

Running:  Still in 'recovery' mode on this.  I've been walk-running for the last month but am ready to start running consistently but will need to take it slow.  In the next week or too I should be running 30 mins continuously and except to come back pretty well here.

2012 RACES:  None.

2013 RACES:  TBD.  Looking to work up to an Olympic length tri but start out with some sprint lengths.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  I gained 20 lbs since my surgery last year.  When running I would typically be around 170 - 175 lbs, I got up to 195 lbs late this summer.  I've since shed 9 of those in the last 5 weeks or so as I've been getting serious about my exercise consistency and eating habits.

GOALS:  Lose the extra lbs in the next couple of months and complete my first Tri this late spring / early summer.

Thanks!

2013-01-03 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I'd like to join if room is still available...

NAME: Kyle

STORY: Starting working out again at the end of January last year after not doing any activity really since highschool XC. Initial goal was to do a 5k in March, but ended up doign the 10k instead and afterwards decided to get involved in triathlons. Looking to improve in all areas this season while staying healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Recovering from shattered wrist and peronial tendonitis... so training has been sporatic since my last race. Looking to get back into the swing of things now that I am healthy again.

2012 RACES: 3 Sprints (2 AG wins), 2 Olys, 1 10k, 1 5k

2013 RACES: So far I am only signed up for IM Raleigh (70.3) and a local 5k in March. I plan on doing at least 3 local sprints, maybe an Oly, and maybe another half in September/October. Finish the season off with a marathon at the end of October or early November.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Last season I hovered around 160, I'd like to get closer to 150 this season.

GOALS: I would like to finish ~1:05:00 for a standard sprint, run a sub 20 minute 5k, and swim 1500m sub 25 minutes

2013-01-03 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
NAME: Chris (Leegoocrap)

STORY: I've been training for tri's for 5 years now, and have been a pretty serious triathlete for the past three. Last season was full of up and down moments and lots of stress, so for 2013 I've decided to re-focus myself on my weak spots (that is, running) while at the same time re-learning to enjoy the races without the expectations I put on myself. I plan to make my return to full IM racing in 2014, so that's something that is in the back of my mind as well. Outside the tri life I'm a big dork (or so I'm told) who loves reading, anime, long walks on the beach and the occasional bar crawl.

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just trying to get back into the swing of things after a bad string of injuries that kept me from training or racing the better part of the last two years.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: one 5k in around 17:20 after a few weeks of training after the first injury and a 9 month lay off, and two spartan races that I was also working at. Made it into 2nd overall for the open spartan at mid atlantic (12 mi course). Thats it.

2013 RACES: Nothing until i'm training regularly again

WEIGHTLOSS: WHen i first started traithlon I was sitting around 170 and dropped down to 145 at my peak, currently back up around 165 and slowly working back as i can move again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been involved in endurance sports in one form or another for the past 11 years, in a few diff areas (rowing, triathlon, running, adventure racing), and have done these as an athlete, coach, and photographer. Through that time i've raced and worked along side and under some amazing coaches, athletes, and many others and hope to help share that with all of you!

Edited by newbz 2013-01-03 1:16 PM
2013-01-03 3:47 PM

User image

Champion

NAME: Melissa Dymond.

STORY: This is my 4-5th year doing triathlon. I'm a former competitive swimmer--hit about jr national level and swam varsity for UofAlberta. I started triathlon for 2 reasons: to lose weight and to get involved in competitive sport again. I spent a few seasons doing shorter distances and then decided to set my sights on IMLP in 2011 and finished in 14:02. I had a fairly successful 2011 season with finishing the IM and podiuming a few times in sprints/olys. 2012 has been fairly light training and racing wise due to rotations and call. I'm in my final year of medical school at the University of Alberta...just about 5 months left before I graduate. In Maui right now for a break and then starting interviews for residency this month. Bit of stress overload since I've applied to 3 programs and didn't exactly get what I was hoping for, but I've got to move on now and make it work out for myself.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started building training back up. I forced myself into a training hiatus back in October by doing a HM while I had the flu and ended up with bilateral pneumonia and bedridden/almost hospitalized. (NOTE: do not race/train hard when sick--just saying...took the risk and paid for it) I am coached by Mike Ricci via online coaching/TPs. I've been working with him since July and things have been going well. I'm in a bike/run focused block right now because swimming is my strength.

2012 RACES: 2012 was a bit of a light racing year due to school/rotations: Alberta Challenge Oly (3rd AG), Victoria Half Marathon (ended up with bilateral pneumonia after that)

2013 RACES: Hyundai Run for Hope (5k), New Orleans Rock and Roll Half Marathon, California 70.3--March 2013, DC NWM (half)--April, Hawaii 70.3--June 2013, IM France--June 2013. My big A race will be IM France. I'm heading off to Kona prior to the HIM for my last heavy training block before France. I think right now I am aiming for a sub 13hr.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I would like to lose around 10-15lbs over the year before IM France. I'm on the stocky side at 5'6" and currently around 166lbs. I've never been particularly lean though and my lowest weight when swimming was around 145lbs in grade 10-11.

WINTER/SPRING TRAINING GOALS: My main goal over the next few months is to maintain consistency. It is my main limiter for sure and working with a coach has def held me more accountable even with a busy schedule. I will mainly be focusing on bike/run over the next few months.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am not the most active poster due to time constraints (so sometimes I lurk a bit) but I'll try to keep active! I like hearing the different perspectives on training and following you all throughout the season in your races!

2013-01-03 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4559414

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Welcome Jon!

Lessons in the pool are a great thing. I took kids courses when I started Embarassed but in the end it was a huge boon.

It sounds like you've got a good foundation to work with, and I think you are right that base training/miles will still take you a long way in terms of getting faster. I think if you are hitting 8m/mi's in training runs at distance that a sub 21min 5k is well within your potential.

Don't worry, we'll hold you accountable

2013-01-03 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4559434

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Hey Charlie, welcome to the group!

Good luck with the return to running! I've had my fair share of downtime from injury too... it's a fine line to walk (run) staying healthy on the way back up in miles. Fortunately it always comes back quick.

I don't want to sound like a broken record... but if you can get lessons in the pool, I highly suggest it!

2013-01-03 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4560198

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Kyle, Glad to have you in the group!

Raleigh looks like an awesome race! It's something I am keeping on my radar as I look for races the next few years down the road, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I just managed to break 20' in a 5k myself last year, it's a milestone! (I was prouder of that than most of my other "accomplishments" combined... but maybe that's because I grew up a crap runner...)

2013-01-03 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4560204

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

newbz - 2013-01-03 2:14 PM NAME: Chris (Leegoocrap) STORY: I've been training for tri's for 5 years now, and have been a pretty serious triathlete for the past three. Last season was full of up and down moments and lots of stress, so for 2013 I've decided to re-focus myself on my weak spots (that is, running) while at the same time re-learning to enjoy the races without the expectations I put on myself. I plan to make my return to full IM racing in 2014, so that's something that is in the back of my mind as well. Outside the tri life I'm a big dork (or so I'm told) who loves reading, anime, long walks on the beach and the occasional bar crawl. 

This is so familiar for some reason... :P

2013-01-03 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4560641

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
mndymond - 2013-01-03 4:47 PM

2013 RACES: Hyundai Run for Hope (5k), New Orleans Rock and Roll Half Marathon, California 70.3--March 2013, DC NWM (half)--April, Hawaii 70.3--June 2013, IM France--June 2013. My big A race will be IM France. I'm heading off to Kona prior to the HIM for my last heavy training block before France. I think right now I am aiming for a sub 13hr.

I am extremely Jealous of all this! That sounds like an AWESOME race schedule!

2013-01-03 6:08 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

We'll be taking just a couple more people before we close up shop.

I'll probably have a link to everyone's profile / list of people in the group for everyone to copy and put in their training log by the end of the week, Monday by the latest.

Thanks already to everyone who's joined, it's looking like it's going to be a great group.

2013-01-04 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Alright I'll start off the actual training talk.  Jumped on the trainer last night for an hour ride, ended up choosing the wrong ride which was a 1:30 ride which I noticed a few minutes in.  Figured I'd go with it even though I just raised my FTP the other night after I did an 8 minute test.  I was going fine until my laptop told me it was going to shut down because the battery was dead.  Running TR and a movie kills my crappy laptop, so I got in 1:15 instead.  Have to put a new outlet in the basement so I can have the fan and computer plugged in nearby w/o extension cords everywhere.

I'm also getting to the point where I have to make a new bike choice.  Last year when I was just getting into things I bought a Scott Speedster off CL, figured if I was still serious about it later I'd upgrade when needed.  Turned out the bike had/got a crack in the frame so I got minimum road use out of it but it's great for the trainer because I have very little chance of crashing in my basement.  Recently the front derailleur went, brought it to my cousin that worked at a shop for many, many years.  He ordered a new one but I never got it installed, no biggie I just ride on the big ring during training anyway.  Now I'm having rear shifting issues and we looked at it real quick the other day but couldn't get it dialed it.    I don't really want to sink any more money or time into the Scott bike, so I'm thinking it's time for a new one.  Same cousin can get me great pricing on a new bike, so I think that's the route I want to go but I'm debating between a TT or road bike.  There have been a million threads on here about which one to get for someone new in my position and it comes down to what I want to do with it really.    My thoughts are if I get another road bike and stick with the tri thing, in a few years I'll want a TT bike so I'll have even more bikes. (yup, I'm familiar with the n+1 formula, however I have to throw the variable x in there where x = 0 which represents the amount of room in my current house for more bikes)  So right now I'm leaning towards the TT.  Maybe I had to type it out and read it myself to see which route I wanted to go.

2013-01-04 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4561559

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
jonD81 - 2013-01-04 9:17 AM

Alright I'll start off the actual training talk.  Jumped on the trainer last night for an hour ride, ended up choosing the wrong ride which was a 1:30 ride which I noticed a few minutes in.  Figured I'd go with it even though I just raised my FTP the other night after I did an 8 minute test.  I was going fine until my laptop told me it was going to shut down because the battery was dead.  Running TR and a movie kills my crappy laptop, so I got in 1:15 instead.  Have to put a new outlet in the basement so I can have the fan and computer plugged in nearby w/o extension cords everywhere.

I'm also getting to the point where I have to make a new bike choice.  Last year when I was just getting into things I bought a Scott Speedster off CL, figured if I was still serious about it later I'd upgrade when needed.  Turned out the bike had/got a crack in the frame so I got minimum road use out of it but it's great for the trainer because I have very little chance of crashing in my basement.  Recently the front derailleur went, brought it to my cousin that worked at a shop for many, many years.  He ordered a new one but I never got it installed, no biggie I just ride on the big ring during training anyway.  Now I'm having rear shifting issues and we looked at it real quick the other day but couldn't get it dialed it.    I don't really want to sink any more money or time into the Scott bike, so I'm thinking it's time for a new one.  Same cousin can get me great pricing on a new bike, so I think that's the route I want to go but I'm debating between a TT or road bike.  There have been a million threads on here about which one to get for someone new in my position and it comes down to what I want to do with it really.    My thoughts are if I get another road bike and stick with the tri thing, in a few years I'll want a TT bike so I'll have even more bikes. (yup, I'm familiar with the n+1 formula, however I have to throw the variable x in there where x = 0 which represents the amount of room in my current house for more bikes)  So right now I'm leaning towards the TT.  Maybe I had to type it out and read it myself to see which route I wanted to go.

well if you are going to buy one, this time of year is pretty good since last years models are all on sale.  have you thought about clip on aero bars on a road bike?  having a TT bike is great, but i prefer to do almost all my training on my road bike.  also don't let the bad experience with the used scott scare you away from scott bikes; i have a plasma and love it.

2013-01-04 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Hi Leegoocrap, I've always gotten a lot out of your input on the BT forums so I though I might join your group if that's ok

NAME: Brad

STORY: Life goal was to do a tri before turning 40, man it sneaks up on you quick. Well I managed to do a local sprint last year but raced as 41, I still did it and I'm hooked on the lifestyle too much now to stop

FAMILY STATUS: married 15 years, 4 year old son. Couldn't do it without them, it really helps that they are my #1 fans.

CURRENT TRAINING: mostly bike right now but really need to get a lot of water time this spring before tri season starts.

2012 RACES: Clemson Sprint Tri (64/4??), smattering of 5ks that I ran pushing my son in the stroller (never broke 20:32 though), Hincapie Gran Fondo 50 mile.

2013 RACES: Spring Series Criterium in Feb. - March) Clemson Sprint Tri in May, thinking about Clemson Xterra Sprint in June. Greenville sprint series, Hincapie Gran Fondo

WEIGHT GOALS: Really trying to hold my weight where it is, or gain a little, throughout training, last year I lost a little too much and took me a long time to gain it back

GOALS: Really improve on the bike, I just joined the Greenville Spinners Racing team for this year with practices starting in 2 weeks. I also want to drop my 800 swim time by at least 5 mins. I just bought a used wetsuit so that should be worth a couple minutes, the rest will have to come from swimming strength I just didn't have last year.
2013-01-04 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Hey Clempson, didn't know you were going to be in this group, that's awesome. We really need to get together for a ride or a swim sometime soon.

2013-01-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4561660

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

coolgenes - 2013-01-04 9:53 AM Hey Clempson, didn't know you were going to be in this group, that's awesome. We really need to get together for a ride or a swim sometime soon.

definitely, although for this time of year i'm going to suggest a ride over swimming.  how are you liking the spinners team?  their website is pretty vague on what all they do so i never looked into it too much. i go to the group rides every tuesday at SCTAC when they have them and hope to do the TT series this year.

2013-01-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4561559

Columbus, OH

I was told there would be no math involved.....

As for the equation bikeNo = n + 1, is it highly recommended i have a second bike?  I've only been riding about 6 months now and am using a friend's Trek 2200 (I think it's a 2002?).  He's had it for a while, it doesn't have many miles on it I'm told for being 10 years old, but doesn't ride any more so he's basically given it to me on an infinite loan.  I have no idea how good this bike is relative to what I can get today (hard to compare cost to FREE).  But I've been thinking about getting one myself anyway but about 2 weeks ago had decided I didn't need it and what I had was fine.  Now I'm reconsidering again!  So I'll take any recommendations on manufacturers, types (what's a TT anyway?  Time Trial?) and I'll continue to contemplate it. Also should I look for used bikes?  What about a proper fit?  Too many questions......

2013-01-04 9:19 AM

New user

Can I join please? Had a couple of years of indoor swim sprints. Trying to get my head around front crawl and  generally improve so I can hit The Vitruvian in August :-)
2013-01-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4561571

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Clempson - 2013-01-04 9:23 AM

well if you are going to buy one, this time of year is pretty good since last years models are all on sale.  have you thought about clip on aero bars on a road bike?  having a TT bike is great, but i prefer to do almost all my training on my road bike.  also don't let the bad experience with the used scott scare you away from scott bikes; i have a plasma and love it.

Out of curiosity, why do you do your training on your road bike and not your TT bike?  Assuming you have both, at least it sounded that way.  It's not the first time I've heard that either.  I can see if you're in a relatively busy area riding that you'd want a road bike, but I guess I'd want to train on the bike I'd be riding in my races more than anything else, be used to aero position and handling, etc.

I'm open to any brand really, as long as it fits and at 6'6" I'm at the higher end of every manf generic sizing chart, so just getting a large enough frame will be a challenge, then the actual fitting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39