BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-10-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed

im in full taper for my marathon in a week and a half.. don't really have a time goal, but i should come in around 3:15-3:20, if not i don't really care since it will be my first and more of a learning experience/"fun run"

decided to go the coaching route for next year and after meeting with a few coaches and getting some testimonials i think i've made my choice.  i was told i would be punished hard on the bike this winter, should be fun.

2013-10-15 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
You obviously had a pretty damn successful year on your own, should be interesting to see what level a coach can take you to. Good luck. When are you going to start up?

I have my HM coming up on the 27th. I've done a few 10 milers and a couple pace runs, so I should be good to go. I've never done a half, so I'm shooting for sub 2-hrs but I'm also thinking I could be a lot closer to 1:50 if I can get into a good groove. My buddy I'm running with should be in the 1:40-1:50 range so we'll see if he decides to hang with me or go off on his own. Don't think he's going for a PR or anything so he might just pace me a bit as he has multiple marathons under his belt. One more pace run this week, 8-10 miles this weekend then just a light couple mile jaunt mid next week, and lots of swimming inbetween to keep everything loose.
2013-10-16 5:15 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by smithat05

I talked my wife into letting me do a HIM next year. I think im going to do Rev3 Cedar Point since its less than 1 hr away. I had tried to talk her into a Full IM but she made a rational point and I said ok to the HIM.

You'll like Rev3 CP. It's one of the best races I've ever done, and I've heard it's gotten better since the first year! I might even see you there... I was thinking about doing the FULL Aquabike.
2013-10-16 5:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Clempson

im in full taper for my marathon in a week and a half.. don't really have a time goal, but i should come in around 3:15-3:20, if not i don't really care since it will be my first and more of a learning experience/"fun run"

decided to go the coaching route for next year and after meeting with a few coaches and getting some testimonials i think i've made my choice.  i was told i would be punished hard on the bike this winter, should be fun.

Just remember not to get too excited and run pace with the 1/2 marathoners (if it's both) I've had a couple of friends do that and really hurt the second half.

Having a coach is a good thing, mine really helped push me along in training... although he was terribly absent from this Group... (and is a douchebag in general sometimes )

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-16 5:19 AM
2013-10-16 5:24 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I did my last 10 miler at 4a.m. (before coffee)
never again. Coffee first...always!

I think 1:5x is in your range Jon. Just shoot for negative splitting it.

I've been running crazy the last week or so. Finally got my P3 put together (aero or die!!!) and now getting my last tough workouts in before heading to the beach to unwind for a couple days. Too bad I couldn't hold off a week or so, I'd have volunteered at IMFlorida
2013-10-17 7:05 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Chris, How custom do you go on your bikes? It sounds like you're really into it, I just didn't know if you build the whole thing from frame up or have some go-to components or if it's ever changing. I need to get a decent bike rack so I can learn to work on mine more. I love fixing and tinkering with anything, I'd imagine bikes would be the same.

2013-10-17 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I've got (too much) a bunch of parts laying around that I've acquired (I NEED THIS... stupid ebay / forum impulse buying) but I do have some go-to parts. I'm a sucker for picking up used Dura Ace 7800 parts cheap... still high end but really inexpensive. I think I have 5 DA7800 cranks laying around in different lengths.

I always build from the frame up, that way I can control everything. I also don't trust other people to work on my bike... I mean, nobody cares about the right torque rating on a bolt on a bike I'm riding as much as I do at 40mph bombing down a hill.

The good thing is... bike wrenching is easy once you understand the basics. And you can't "really" break anything you can't fix (until you start drilling/sawing things)
2013-10-20 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Leegoocrap I've got (too much) a bunch of parts laying around that I've acquired (I NEED THIS... stupid ebay / forum impulse buying) but I do have some go-to parts. I'm a sucker for picking up used Dura Ace 7800 parts cheap... still high end but really inexpensive. I think I have 5 DA7800 cranks laying around in different lengths. I always build from the frame up, that way I can control everything. I also don't trust other people to work on my bike... I mean, nobody cares about the right torque rating on a bolt on a bike I'm riding as much as I do at 40mph bombing down a hill. The good thing is... bike wrenching is easy once you understand the basics. And you can't "really" break anything you can't fix (until you start drilling/sawing things)

as someone looking to start building my future bikes i fear this collection of parts i am going to have.

2013-10-20 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

didn't get much running in the last half of last week or this weekend. been having peroneal tendinitis start to set in. lots of icing and rolling. 

its been getting better, and i hope to go for a pain free run tomorrow after my swim.  

definitely not doing my marathon on it if it still hurts, trying to figure out if i should go ahead and hire the coach for just cycling/swimming til i can run again though.

2013-10-21 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I've got (too much) a bunch of parts laying around that I've acquired (I NEED THIS... stupid ebay / forum impulse buying) but I do have some go-to parts. I'm a sucker for picking up used Dura Ace 7800 parts cheap... still high end but really inexpensive. I think I have 5 DA7800 cranks laying around in different lengths.

I always build from the frame up, that way I can control everything. I also don't trust other people to work on my bike... I mean, nobody cares about the right torque rating on a bolt on a bike I'm riding as much as I do at 40mph bombing down a hill.

The good thing is... bike wrenching is easy once you understand the basics. And you can't "really" break anything you can't fix (until you start drilling/sawing things)

That's cool. I have the room now with my workshop and garage, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty. I also have my cousin who works at a shop to fall back on if anything goes bad, and he can hook me up with some great deals on parts. Did you learn mainly from trial and error or do you have a go-to manual for some stuff? It doesn't seem like there's THAT much to it all once you get the basics down, although I'm sure like anything else you can customize the hell out of it all and go crazy if you want to.
2013-10-21 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

check out velobuild.com for a lot of info on builds

2013-10-24 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

getting close to my first marathon... sub freezing temps for race start... coldest i've ran this fall is 60 so that should be fun(painful).  haven't ran in a few days an my leg is feeling better, but still a little sore/tight.

on a more serious note... im guessing this group is going to be pretty much dead soon since the end of year is approaching, but its been great talking to you all throughout the year!  chris: you have been a great resource all year, and im thinking of hitting up the SRS race next year up your way so maybe we can meet up or go head to head ha!  

2013-10-25 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Good luck! Hopefully it warms up a bit for you. It's looking like mid 50's and partly cloudy for my HM on Sunday.

I've definitely enjoyed my time in this group as well. Half a dozen of us seemed to stick around longer than a few others. It's been really cool to follow everyone's progress throughout the year. I really liked the accountability of the mentor group and you guys have some great talent and knowledge about the sport(s) that went a long way towards helping me out this year. This year was all about learning for me so I'm psyched to get a great winter of training in and see what I can do next year.
2013-10-25 9:19 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Clempson good luck at your Marathon this weekend. Remember to be careful and don't push it too hard if it starts to hurt, by pulling out early versus going the whole way could save you months of recovery. I hope it warms up for you if thats what you want. I myself would rather the 40 Degree weather.

Jon could luck to you also, I think you will do great!!

My HM is next sunday, I have been running about 25-30 miles a week, so I think I am ready. I am hoping for a sub 1:40:00 HM for my first.
I have been swimming a lot, Finally took some lessons and think I am doing pretty well. My wife said that she would like to do a duathlon next year so I found her a Trek 1000 for sale from a buddy in the Cleveland Tri Club and got her all set up. she hasnt rode it yet. I found a race for her next june, It will be a 5k run, 40k bike then a 10k run. There is also a HIM so I am thinking of doing it as my first one, plus it is freaking cheap like $90 for the HIM.
It is the innagural race.

Cheers.

Todd
2013-10-26 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Finished my marathon today with a time of 3:09:54 and now my right hip flexor and left foot are absolutely killing me.  im also sore all over.  no tendonitis issues or anything so thats good.  the race was a lot of fun, 30 degrees for the start and it might have been mid 40's at the finish, but still pretty cold with the wind.  i ended up running the whole race with a guy i went to college with and hadn't seen since, and another triathlete that gets coached by the same coach i plan on going with for next season.  

was pretty fun, i'll probably do it again next year if i don't have anything else conflicting with it

good luck on the upcoming races everyone!

2013-10-27 6:30 AM

User image

Cleveland OH
Well Clempson, I am going to assume that you are in my age group, 31-35 so you almost got a BQ, I am happy for you that you finished so strong on it. Hope your hip gets to feeling better soon!!

2013-10-28 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Great race Kyle. 3:09 is pretty frickin quick.

I've been at the beach the last week. Got to swim every day and a couple of runs/rides in, but nothing serious. This morning was the first day back at "the grind." Still running on unmotivated mode, but I guess that's just lamenting not waking up to surf and sand.

As far as the group goes, I'll hang around and keep an eye on the thread, but I definitely encourage any / all of you guys to jump into another group when the time comes around again, lot's of the other guys that have groups are really knowledgeable. I would like to do another group but the way my volume *should* be ramping up I may pass until things settle down. Of course any time you guys want/need to get a hold of me I'm pretty good to answer my PM's.

Hopefully I'll get to do some bike racing again next year, but the current plan is to really focus on Oly's and halfs so I guess it's up in the air at this point. We'll see
2013-10-28 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Awesome race dude. 3:09 is sick.

I did my HM yesterday. My primary goal was sub 2 hours, which I thought I had pretty good chance of making. My secondardy goal was under 1:55. My total reach goal was if all was going awesome was to go under 1:50. Ended up at 1:53:51. All in all for my first race anywhere near that long, I'm happy with it. I was crusing for miles 1-10, then at mile 10 there was a hill they called The Green Monster. Holy crap, it was a hell of a hill. People started dropping like flies. I shuffled up it, but it really sucked the life out of me for the last 3 miles. It was a shame beacuse I was on an 8:24 pace up until then which would have put me right around 1:50. The hills were killer. People were saying it's a great training route for Boston. I'd love to do a flat one soon before winter, I think I could get that reach goal before 2013 ends.
2013-10-28 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

thanks all, still pretty stiff/sore in my lower legs, but nothing hurts so im really excited about that

great job and crushing the goal time jon!  im sure you could hit 1:50 on a flatter course, especially now that you have a better idea of pacing

2013-10-30 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I think I may have asked this before, but I'll do it again. Maybe it should be in the TT forum seeing as people are apparently a little touchy about only asking mentor group stuff, but honestly I respect you guys opinions and feel more comfortable asking advice from people that I know are not only doing the training but kicking a$$ in races.

How far ahead do you plan out your training? How do you go about doing the planning in general? I've read Friel's Bible on creating plans, so I know I could work through it that way, but I didn't know what you guys typically do. This year was 100% learning and building for me, which I nailed from all my goal perspectives, so now I just want to make sure I keep with it. Right now I more or less plan out a week in advance, figure which days I'll do what with Sat/Sun being my only real chance to do "long" workouts ie 1.5+hr run and 2+hr bike. I'm thinking I have to break down each workout a bit more with some goals behind it so I can see some improvements week to week, month to month, etc. Ideally I'd get a coach, but financially it's just not something I care to justify right now.
2013-10-30 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Now I get everything on Sunday afternoon for the week. Of course David is my coach, I pay him so I don't have to worry about it.

When I was doing everything solo I had things set up for a long block (usually at least 6 weeks mapped out) of course it was pretty crude... not much better than "ride Monday, swim Tuesday, etc"

I then moved on to using the BT plans, which were a bit more structured, and I felt like I had some pretty decent success going that route. Of course those plans are still "cookie cutter" and not specific to your needs, but they are good to give you a rough outline to follow.

If I were doing it all myself again on the cheap, I think what I would do is

1.) Find a free plan (plenty here or on the web) that gives a day to day. I'd be looking for one that involves running at least 5 days a week most weeks.
2.) Do pretty much EVERY run at an easy pace. (all by feel... easy pace can change from day to day) Maybe a LITTLE tempo every other week if you feel good. Do every ride except the long ride HARD. Nothing more than the warmup/cooldown should be easy. Do some parts of the long ride hard, but not all of it. Similar with about every swim. Make it tough, mix up short (50/100) with long (300-800) sets. - basically all running easy, everything else hard.

3.) don't schedule off days. Have a workout 7 days a week and then when life gets in the way... take that day off and don't worry about it. It's better than scheduling Tuesday off, having nothing to do, then Wednesday have something come up and miss 2 days.

That's just how I would approach it... a million other (and probably better) ways to do it too.

2013-10-30 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Thanks Chris. Where I don't have a specific race distance in mind I'd like to have some flexibility in there. The intent would really just be to have it scheduled and have some type of structure, instead of just "run today, bike tomorrow..." like you said. I've definitely implimented the "run easy, everything else not easy" theory so far and it's kept me injury free and I've seen good increases across the board.

General question, and maybe you've done it both ways, but when you were making your own plans, did you typically set up your schedules by time or by distance?
2013-10-30 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
my runs are always by time, and would be unless I were specifically training for a marathon (where I think you need to have a couple of long days set where you hit a specific mileage #) even then, the non long runs would be by time.

My bike times are measured mainly by how long my sets are. I almost always warm up for 20' and cool down for 10' so that's 30' then however long my sets take me to get it all done. Most of my cycling is on the trainer, so for the most part between 1 and 2 hours. The exception again is my long ride, where I go purely for time regardless of sets.

The swim is for distance, and it kind of has to be considering you have a lot of variable rest generally. I have a set # of meters I'm going to swim, and it takes however long it takes.
2013-10-30 8:41 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Most of my runs are by Mileage, Swims usually by time available, and Rides by time.

My work schedule changes everyday, some days I work 8 hrs, most days I work 12 hrs, so I have never sat down and made up a schedule or plan as to what I was going to do this week or next. My wife followed a plan for the HM we have this weekend and she thinks I am crazy for not following a plan.

I almost got a coach, he has been bugging me and had a sale that is ending Thursday, but I just can't justify spending $150 a month for a plan and unlimited access to him. Just doenst seem worth it to me.

I love this sport and can't see getting out of it. I will just always be a AG and will never earn a spot to KONA, but I can try my best. I might even try to get to Boston too. ya never know.

2013-10-31 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by smithat05

Most of my runs are by Mileage, Swims usually by time available, and Rides by time.

My work schedule changes everyday, some days I work 8 hrs, most days I work 12 hrs, so I have never sat down and made up a schedule or plan as to what I was going to do this week or next. My wife followed a plan for the HM we have this weekend and she thinks I am crazy for not following a plan.

I almost got a coach, he has been bugging me and had a sale that is ending Thursday, but I just can't justify spending $150 a month for a plan and unlimited access to him. Just doenst seem worth it to me.

I love this sport and can't see getting out of it. I will just always be a AG and will never earn a spot to KONA, but I can try my best. I might even try to get to Boston too. ya never know.

I agree on the coach thing, although I have read some very convincing posts/articles about why AGers should get a coach, but a lot of those could have been posted as advertisement or self publicity. Right now in my life a coach isn't for me, financially and just in general. I have fun doing triathlon, but realistically I'm perfectly content as an Ager. That's not to say I don't want to try hard or and train hard or win or anything, I just realize that I don't have the time in my life to dedicate to get to the next level. I'm going to sign up on here for a Silver membership ($45 for a year, fine by me) so I can work on a more concrete schedule just to keep myself accountable and have a better way to track and log everything.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39