General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to NC - Wilson/Knightsdale/Rocky Mount Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-27 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Subject: New to NC - Wilson/Knightsdale/Rocky Mount

I just moved to Wilson, east of Raleigh this fall from Columbus, OH area where was I blessed with several triathlons under an hour from my house.  I am completely starting over with a triathlon schedule and could use advice.

This will be my third year in triathlon, and have participated in Sprints just due to time I can spend training.  My job has me on the road several days a week.  The schedule in Ohio was Jun - October and clearly you can race as early as March in NC.

Primarily looking for Sprint level.  Prefer OWS (no pool).   Do not have any experience in competing in salt water, but hope to try one this year or possibly an Oly race.  Would prefer within 2 hours of my home, but will travel for the right race.   Flat courses are preferred, I no not have experience with hills... yet.   (Ohio is REALLY flat!!)

IOS and FS Series - any other series or race I should consider?

Any fun races would reccommend to a NC newbie?

Any people in the area - feel free to drop me a message.  I would love to find a run group to get me through the winter months.  Hoping to also do a Spring Half Marathon.

Thanks in advance,

Kristin

2012-12-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4550392

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: New to NC - Wilson/Knightsdale/Rocky Mount
Check out http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm for a number of races in the area.  The White Lake sprint is April 7th and starts with a 750m lake swim.  Also later in the year both the Wilmington YMCA sprint (September) with a 1500m open water swim across the intracoastal and the North Myrtle Beach triathlon (Also in September) with a 700m swim in the ocean are both fun events and probably within your two hour window.  All of these are also very flat.  I was supposed to do the Giant Eagle tri in Columbus with my son this year but with a new baby he didn't have the time to train.   The Quintiles Half and Full Marathons are run in Wilmington in March and are great events with a large number of runners.  There are already over 1000 signed up but it's open to 2200.  Welcome to NC. 
2012-12-29 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Given your location you'll have your best luck with FS Series. Battle at Buckhorn Sprint should be perfect for you. You'll probably train on the course, although to swim in the resevoiir normally I think you have to do it off a boat.

Also FS, an Oly and Sprint option at Beaver Dam (Falls Lake), Little Washington is a nice area with a sprint and a unique 50 and 100 tri. FS Half and Lake Royale Sprint should easy drives.

Setup has a Trysports Series also in NC in addition to the IOS NCTS. Kerr Lake Oly is supposed to be a great race. And in NCTS you should be about 2 hours from Wilmington so Wilmington YMCA is an option. I love the salt water swim in the channel. It's kind of a short bike for a long drive, but I do it some years for the swim and the overall atmosphere.

If you add pool swims you could include Riverwood (Setup Trysports series), 3 Little Pigs (FS), and Rex Wellness in Knightdale (FS Rex series).

Selma Cyclepaths is a great group that trains for the MS150 every year. Some of our routes almost reach Wilson. Not sure about running groups, but there are trail marathons at Umstead and Medoc Mountain State Parks.

Welcome to the area! I'm about 40 minutes west of Wilson. Let me know if you have trouble tracking down in of these races.

2013-01-04 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4553188

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)

Thank you both!

I might have to change the gameplan a little this year, but I shouldn't have a problem racing!

Kristin

2013-01-06 7:49 PM

Regular

Goldsboro Family Y Sprint usually first sat in Aug.

Lake Kristi in Greenville, moves around, maybe in June

Buckhorn Res Sprint

All three very close to you, but as said above check FS and Setup for others.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to NC - Wilson/Knightsdale/Rocky Mount Rss Feed